iPad Bobble Surfer Feedback

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Wade, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    #1 Wade, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I'm one of the developers of Bobble Surfer ($0.99) and Bobble Surfer Free! Although we get a fair bit of feedback from reviews and emails, we're interested in opening up a bit more discussion about the type of features people are looking for in Bobble Surfer!

If your only comment is 'it sucks', you can probably keep that to yourself, but if you've got something to ask, something to suggest or just anything constructive at all please let us know! The whole dev team will be watching this space, so don't hold back!:)

Cheers,

Wade Perry
    Programmer
    Lemur Software

[​IMG]

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #2 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
    Wade, appearantly you've logged off, however I'm hoping you'll be checking back in.

I bought Bobble Surfer 5 days ago and even though I have a multitude of new apps, I find myself drawn to it, constantly. I have already reviewed the game on iTunes (rich_952000, 5 stars), and had looked at the website listed under the app description. On said website there is no mention of Bobble Surfer!

My question is this: on the two levels with the breaking waves, what am I supposed to do? I have tried going left toward the break, in almost every possibe area, my score indicates about 1600 and I "wipe-out" every single time.:(

Besides this the game is addictive (seriously), and the accelerometer controls and game physics are spot-on!:)

BTW: welcome to Toucharcade, hope you stay active here.

3. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Totally Awesome Game! I can land a triple flip. That is my best so far, though i feel that a quadruple is possible :) Very easy to slip into a psychological state of FLOW playing this game! Wave physics feel just right. Just let favorite tunes play in the background, and catch some surf. Groundbreaking gaming, in my opinion. Keep it up!

4. Ashart

Ashart Active Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Graphic Designer / Concept Artist - Lemur Software
    South Australia
    hi rich, i might be able to help you as i am one of the Bobble Surfer Dev's. In either Triggs or Jacksons (which are the two barrel breaks) you need to tilt the iphone/ipod to the left, which will turn you to the right hand> side of the screen.

Now i think i understand what you are saying, and this is what you need to do. the two barrels we have released in this version are 'lefthanders'. which means the barrel is moving towards the right hand side of the screen. Generally what i do on 'Jacksons' is turn directly into the barrel Then 'Cutback' (turn around and go with the wave). if you go too far into the barrel you will wipeout. think of it as if there is a brick wall at the left hand side of the screen where the whitewater reaches the top of the wave. if you go too far into the barrel you will get munched.

Now Triggs on the other hand is a much harder break, being so small the tight barrel is hard to get in. what i do is as soon as the waves starts i emedeatly tilt the ipod to the left so 'bob' the surfer Cuts hard to the right hand side> this will get you onto the wave. Then comes the task of trying to get in the barrel. You will need to use the 'stall' function to slow yourself down when your in line with the barrel (traveling with the barrel) and inch your way into it. This is done but tilting the top of the ipod vertically (be care you if done to fast you will lose speed and get drilled).

I hope this answers your question, and im glad to hear your enjoying the game.

Have fun

p.s yeah im working on the website now... it needs updating, we've just been flat out working on bobble surfer :)

Ash Charlish
    Graphic Designer
    Lemur Software

5. Ashart

Ashart Active Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Graphic Designer / Concept Artist - Lemur Software
    South Australia
    Hi, Thanks for your support, it means alot to us to know people are enjoying the game.

I know what you mean, being a surfer myself i too find myself playing it quite alot, i just need more battery life! gen 3 anyone? :) i've found its also good to play while waiting for fish an chips lol.

Ash Charlish
    Graphic Designer
    Lemur Software

6. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Love the game , had it from before the update. When you wipeout the game jumps and I have to go to the menu to restart all the time. Could the surfer maybe be taken out of the wave? Also on the waves with breaks if you stay out of the break you are sucked to the top of the wave, and you can't move anywhere. This gets annoying.

That's all the grudges, one bit that could be added is the ability to customize the surfer??I'd like that

Thanks, your game I'd alot of fun

7. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    Rich, at the moment there are two basic ways of getting a score - landing a big jump, and getting yourself deep in a barrel.

The best way to get into a barrel is to get yourself nice and steady in front of the wave (heading towards the right of screen in the same direction the wave is breaking), and back gently into it. Gently lean the phone backwards (ie, stand it up) so that the wave very slowly catches you up, and eventually is breaking over the top of you. Once you're in, enjoy the moment (this is as good as surfing gets!), then lean the phone forward again so that you accelerate out of the barrel and ahead of the wave again.

Its a definite art (which is what we were after), and as you get better you'll be able to get yourself deeper and deeper and rack up bigger and bigger scores. If you're still having trouble let me know and I'll put together a tutorial or something with screenshots! Or grab a screenshot while you're in there and show it off :D

8. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    Thats what we want to hear! From the moment I heard about an accelerometer I wanted to do a surfing game. Its tricky, and there is a learning curve, but thats what makes it rewarding to play!

9. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    We actually put together a system for lives on a wave, but were planning on using that for the new 'Extreme Surf' only. I would definitely consider including it in Pro Surf if enough people thought that would be an improvement. For example, when you got sucked into the barrel you'd lose a heart and respawn just outside the barrel.

As for getting sucked to the top of the wave, is there any chance you could post a screenshot or something so that I can see what you mean?

10. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I am on my iPod but I have the pictures, I will post them up tomorrow

11. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

#11 Chumbake, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
    I just tried this out. it's fun. The accelerometer feels great.

As someone that didn't know anything about this and hasn't surfed in 10 years I have to say I was really confused at first. I couldn't tell which way the wave was breaking (lite version). Your main screenshot shows the surfer heading to screen right so I tried that over and over. If I hadn't heard from this site that it was good, I would have just assumed it was poorly developed and moved on.

I'm glad I didn't.

12. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

Okay, I've been playing this for about a half hour and had the same issue.

What I realized is that the Calibration was off. I was getting sucked to the top of the wave everytime and would wipe out. I then tilted my iPhone away from me. The top was facing at a down angle about 45 degrees (not easy to play) and then I had speed and could play. If I put it flat I would stall and wipe out again.

I quit and restarted. Now it's fine again.

13. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    just tried out the lite version, and after getting somewhat used to the (counterintuitive imho) controls, the demo was good fun...i'm considering buying the full version, but i was wondering, are there any other tricks you can do other than spins? because that seems like it could get old after a awhile...

...oh yeah, i also ran into that same "sucked into wave" problem right away, for a little while, and i almost quit out and deleted the game...luckily i didn't but the devs should definitely look into that...

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I like it! I just got the full ver. after playing the lite, It's good, but does need some more to make it a "real" game. I like the gameplay enough, but after catching air, would be nice to throw in some grabs as well... I'm looking forward to what improvements you have coming up in the future...

15. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I agree w/that. Maybe while getting air touch and hold the screen (right=r.grab etc..) with a meter for how long to hold the grab, all the while spinning or what have you. Could get difficult;)

16. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    for anyone who has any doubt i promise you that the control mechanism designed into this game is perfect! i'm not connected with the developers...i am just a fan of the game...you just need to practice a little bit...and make sure you hold the ipod flat to the floor...that is key to getting the proper response from the surfboard...if you hold the ipod at an angle 45-90 degrees angle to the floor then the surfboard stalls/slows and you lose your power...once you find the zone, and feel how intuitive controlling the board is, i'm sure you'll be mighty impressed with what the developers have achieved here!

17. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    Hi guys,

When we originally started working on the breaking wave for Bobble Surfer 1.0, we noticed people got swallowed up time and time again because it was pretty hard. Thats why we originally released the game without a break, and have done the same for the free version. The idea is that you can just slowly get to grips with the controls without fear of dying!

If people get the feeling that an iPhone lying flat on a table is stalling, then there is indeed something wrong somewhere in the code. In all my (literally hundreds) of times playing the game I have never seen it, but I'll have a check through the code and see what could be going wrong if people are pretty sure of what they're experiencing. There is no actual calibration taking place with the accelerometer - it just takes a vector pointing straight down and I work out the orientation from there.

As for finding the controls counter-intuitive, my first reaction is to say stick with it because most people find it very rewarding when they get the hang of it. My goal from the start was to hold the iPhone as if it was a surfboard. Hold level against the ground for maximum speed, lean back as you would on a real board to stall etc. If people are after an absolute control system (ie, lean back to head down on screen, lean left to head to left of screen) its possible to add as an option, just not what I had originally intended the game for!

As for extra tricks, thats easy for us to add! Board grabs (by tapping the screen as suggested) feel very natural and will make the next update. We're also detecting cutbacks and plan on detecting floaters too. If you can pull off a cutback inside the barrel at Jackson's you'll be getting a huge score!

I hope I've addressed everything that people have asked!

18. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Just bought the full game and I'm already addicted. I was the one that called the controls counterintuitive, although I am quite used to them now...by instinct, I wanted to tilt the iPhone forwards and backwards to go up and down, and to the left to slow down, kind of the opposite of how they are...but as u said I'm fine with them now...
    A few suggestions...
    -when you wipeout inside the barrel during pro mode, the round should either end, and count your score, or restart you outside the wave, currently if u screw up but want your score to count, u gotta wait for the timer to run out
    -more tricks...grabs sound good, maybe some inverted tricks too?
    -a tournament mode where you compete against other surfers and get judged on your performance...maybe even like a career mode, where you travel to different beaches to take part in increasingly prestigious and challenging tournaments
    -I noticed that if I bring my surfer close eniught towards me the wave animation ends and it's just blue
    -maybe a little less exxagerated spray from the wave cause somtimes it becomes too hard to see and this control my guy in the barrel
    -customizations of board color, and surfer clothing, hair, etc.
    That's all I can think of at the moment...all in all a fun little app!

19. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Programmer
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'm glad you persisted with the controls, Fletch! Its not easy to start with, but like all good skills its (hopefully) a great feeling when you get the hang of it. We really wanted to capture the flowing, smooth feeling from surfing and I like to think its worth persisting to get it! It really does make my day when people tell us they're enjoying it too :D

You've also done a pretty good summary of what we're working on at the moment! The broken wave animation is something that happened just before the update and hadn't noticed until after submission - I didn't want to delay the update another few days to all the V1.0 guys that had been so patient, but its fixed for the next update. It looks like 1.3 will have custom boards, characters and a few more breaks and tricks.

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    As I stated before, the game is fun as hell for me as-is, but it seems as though the update is inevitable. I'm sure as polished as the game has been developed thus far, the update will be just as good. So, when (projected) can we look forward to the implemented improvements? Thanks for a cool title.:cool: