iPad Board@Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by yourofl10, May 2, 2009.

1. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    [app]Board@Work[/app]

Found this pretty neat app on the app store yesterday.
    It's a match-3 game but with a surprisingly neat twist imo.
    Not the developer btw!
    I got the app and I like it so far. Gets harder as you go and faster :D

2. zvnthynn

zvnthynn Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    i keep coming back to this app in the store since seeing it go live earlier. i have spent so much today i am still resisting.

can you tell me how multiplayer mode works? is it only via wifi? is there a multiplayer mode using the same device? i've already emailed the dev asking these questions (no response yet) before seeing that you already bought it.

video from the dev's site:

3. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008

Havent done multiplayer yet I'll do it later and reply back ;)

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I got this game. If you give me a couple of days I can give you some first impressions and then something more thorough in a couple of weeks :D

5. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    You must like it? Lol?

Trying out multiplayer right now

EDIT:
    Says you must be connested to internet to play multiplayer

6. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well I played it some but so far it just seems like a really slow match-3 :) Have to read up on the instructions and spend some loving time with it.

7. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    It gets faster..........starts out slow

8. zvnthynn

zvnthynn Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    thanks for the confirmation, yourofl10! i was really hoping for something like a pass n' play mode because i love playing with my fiance. he doesn't have an iphone but i'm thinking of getting him one as a wedding gift (that or his-and-hers watches).

deb, i will wait for your feedback!

OH! and the dev responded to my email! sweet, didn't expect one on a saturday. i invited him here so i hope he drops by. :)

9. yourofl10

Dec 11, 2008
    Thanks, noproblem any time.
    Hope he does drop by,
    I dont know exactly for sure if you can play via LAN or just international servers....

10. SpigotGames

SpigotGames Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Don't worry, it gets faster - really fast...

I'm the developer, it does start out pretty slow, a new block every 3 seconds or so, but you can touch the "Next" box to throw blocks out faster if you want... It basically gets a tenth of a second faster as more blocks are placed at a decreasing interval. So, it speeds up from 3 seconds to 2.9 seconds after fewer blocks than from 0.5 to 0.4 seconds... It eventually gets to a block every 0.3 seconds.

We spent a lot of time balancing the game so that while the blocks are coming slowly, you can use the extra time to make big matches, which results in higher odds of getting the valuable office supplies (our version of power-ups). That way, once it gets really quick, you have a good inventory of office supplies built up to help you keep up.

Here's a quick tip - using the markers is a great way to setup big matches...

Anyway, hope you all enjoy the game!

Thanks for checking it out,
    Ben

11. SpigotGames

SpigotGames Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Oh, and you can play worldwide, all the games go through our servers...

12. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    TouchArcade monkey.
    Sacramento, CA
    Hrmmm, this looks kinda cool. I really like the whiteboard design with colored markers, and the buttons at the bottom. Very nice! It's just I'm not so sure I can stomach another match 3, as I've been more that satisfied in that dept and only recently d/l Color Drops because of it's $0 price tag. I thought it was a pretty good game, I just think I'm match 3'd out! Is there anything especially unique about this game that I should know about? I really like the aesthetics, and I'm a huge fan of The Office.

13. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    That looks really cool but I have bought way too much recently I will have to snipe this though so I dont forget about it.

14. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Ok it does get faster :D

It's a mix between a match 3 and those lines games where the tiles stay on the board until you match 3 of them. The twist here is that you can move the tiles around.

After my first game I have a little over 26 grand and right now you need 60 grand to get on the scoreboard.

Match often and match big (4+) and you get markers to colors the tiles (and make matches), a clock to stop the time and get a score multiplier, an eraser to erase blocks, and windex to erase the whole thing.

Haven't even begun to crack this game, it'll take a few days :D I'm enjoying it though, especially now that I learned about the Next button. In multiplayer you can throw blocks at the other person.

I tried multiplayer and I don't know if I did get connected with someone or not. I did get the little hand icon to throw tiles at them but was too busy matching to try it. The pace starts a lot faster in this mode.

It's fun so far. Once I learn how to really play it can only get better :D

15. quantumRyan

quantumRyan New Member

May 2, 2009
    Hi, I'm the artist and co-game designer for the game and I wanted to say thanks. It was a lot of fun concepting the game art.

I'd agree that the match three thing is sorta over for me too, but this one is a little different and its got some elements that really help it. Check out the video for the best example, but basically the board is empty and you have to match 3. But that doesn't do you much good, because your raises are based on your performance, so you'll get crappy raises unless you match bigger. Elements like the marker make it possible to match 9, which is really huge. And as the game goes on, and the raises get bigger and the $core grows and the speed increases, its quite frantic and fun.

I spent a lot of time play balancing and trying to make the game more fun. IMO, its totally worth the $2, but I'll admit I'm really, really biased.

Everyone, thanks for the praise and chatter, its really fun to see it.

Ryan

16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    TouchArcade monkey.
    Sacramento, CA
    Thank you for your reply, quantumRyan, and welcome to TA! I really do love the graphics and such in this game, great job. I work in an office, so I know how much it sucks and I love drawing little pictures with the colored pens on the whiteboard. Co-workers think I'm a weirdo, but your game really jumped out at me for that reason!

Gatordeb thanks for your impressions, you def helped me understand the game some more. I watched the video, and it does look nice (the little dude popping up at the bottom of the screen is hilarious!). Still think I'm gonna hold off for now, been buying tons of games daily. Hopefully I can get a few more peoples impressions on this one, although I bet I cave in the next couple days anyway. Thanks again for the replies! :)

17. Clymos

Clymos Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Welcome to TA it is always a boost to have active developers here :)
    I like the looks of it but I am so backlogged on game right now that I will have to wait.

18. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well what's nice about this game is you can go matching 3 and get a meh score or you can go matching 4-, 5-, even 9 of a kind and get killer scores. So that if you just want a relaxing game you can just go for three and if you want a challenge you can go for a high score. The markers really add to it. Also there's tiles that pop up that can't be matched and you first have to get some high matches to get the eraser powerup and then use it on them or get the windex powerup.

So you pretty much decide what kind of game you want.

19. SpigotGames

SpigotGames Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Some background on Board@Work's game design...

Just wanted to give a little background on the game... When we set out to make this game, we fully realized that there were a ton of match 3 style apps in the App Store. But, we didn't feel that any of them took it to the next level of fun... Some of the match 3s out there feel more like a chore than a game.

So, Ryan and I each came up with a ton of ideas on what could make such a classic game style (match 3) as fun as possible. We tested out a lot of different game play methods and different power-ups, and ended up getting rid of a lot of our ideas as they didn't add to the fun or strategy. What we ended up with was a bit of Tetris, in that the blocks keep coming at a set interval, mixed with name your favorite match 3 (Bejeweled, Trism, whatever), but with power-ups that actually are useful and make sense. We feel the useful/strategic power-ups (office supplies) are a very unique feature in the match 3 genre - not many have power-ups and those that do seem like they were an afterthought in the development of the game...

We also brainstormed on a lot of theme concepts - Ryan started off with a design concept of the game as if it were played on graphing paper, which got a lot of discussion started, but we went through a few different concepts that were more iPhone-standard design concepts, where the artwork would look great, but wouldn't have done anything to set it apart. Then we hit upon an epiphany based off of Ryan's initial idea and our thinking that there wasn't enough humor found in the App Store. So, we ended up with an "office" theme that we feel (obvious bias) fits well with both the game and the humor element. We took inspiration from some of our favorite movies/shows such as Office Space and The Office as far as the style of humor goes.

We had the game play code and 90% of the graphics finished almost two months ago, and could've submitted to the App Store then, but we just didn't think we had the game balance just right nor the game's polish completely right. Basically, the past couple of months has been spent getting the balance right and really make the theme fit and add the polish to the finished product we wanted. We could've released it a couple of months ago, but it wouldn't have met the goals that we had when we set out to make the game - taking a classic game play genre/style (match 3) to the next level while adding some serious strategy elements and having a solid theme...

We're quite proud of this game and so far the feedback we've gotten has been even more positive than we expected... The best compliment we've received so far is, "Wow! didn't think I could get addicted to a game like this but i keep saying "one more time" i'm having a hard time putting it down - thanks!" The negative comments have been almost exclusively about there not being tons of players in the multiplayer mode, but it did just come out today...

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but just wanted to let everyone know what went into the game and our thought processes and goals. Maybe it sells 10, maybe it sells 1,000,000, who knows?

If you have comments or constructive criticism, please email comments@spigotgames.com and let us know... We're always looking for constructive criticism to make our games even better - we may even make you a beta tester in the future...

Thanks again,
    Ben

20. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Grabbed it and the homespun polish shows! I especially love your sense of painfully dry office humor (so painful in the fact you can almost imagine some clueless corporate suit saying this kind of stuff with a straight face)!

I can't wait to see what extra modes or twists you might add in the future.