Universal Blyss (By Dropout Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Dropout_Games

Dropout_Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    Yup! Understood it finally. Would soon be discussing about it with the team. I'm definitely in favor of that. It makes sense.

2. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    Got it. Would be discussing it soon with the rest of the team. And I'm glad that you're liking the game. :)

3. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    I thoroughly enjoyed testing this game. It felt HD from the first release. The game does get a little tricky as I'm sure most users would agree. And that Save option might give it more replayability.

And at just 2USD I can't not buy this game. Thanks again Dropout Games.

4. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It is a norm (for so many dong years) for mobile devices, especially phones, are always prone to interrupts (phone call, battery runs out, etc). I think, unless the app is killed, the progress should be retained some how (say "paused"). Especially crucial to titles which are "endless". My $.02

5. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #25 abstractgamefreak, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Mid-Game Save!

Take f.e. another relaxed puzzle game like Yoku-Gami, where you have three different game modes (a really endless mode with almost no "game over" included) and you can interrupt anytime and save the game state to continue later. Especially as it got a simple and tricky mechanism to make levels continuously slightly harder. It makes even more sense in Blyss, because here the endless puzzles just get bigger not necessarily more difficult. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be doing the same thing over and over again to solve the puzzles, regardless of the number of dots on the tiles. And it is really cumbersome to go back to zero. You'll want to keep those coins to unlock new backgrounds and music, not to buy 'continues'. Second, it takes too long to unlock the other game modes, things get samey after a while. I think, designwise there's still work to do here.

6. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    A big yes to Save!

Like I said before, we're listening!

Had a debated discussion with the rest of the team. Showed all your comments as well. The team has agreed and we've started working on the save feature. What's surprising is that during all the testing including the one we had on TA, it never came up and since this is our first time making an endless game we somehow overlooked on this feature. It is only now that we realize that its a must. Will start working on it as tomorrow onward. Should be up and running in the next update.

Any other suggestions folks?

7. I agree with this from what I've played so far, but wanted to hold back judgement until after the ability to save is added. I was getting bored during my video I posted and was surprised how often I thought I might have messed up but was always able to save myself. Like I said, I'm not playing anymore while there's no chance of me beating my current high score. It still remains to be seen whether the game can hold my attention even for a few minutes at a time once the saves are added. I agree that if you do lose, starting back at zero with the basics is tedious. I think it took 30 puzzles before I even got to the three-dot tiles and never even saw four after 50 levels. And as the quoted post says, the new tiles don't really make it more challenging. They just make it take longer to solve.

I don't know what the answer is. I think there's an interesting concept here, but I don't think it works so well as an endless high score chaser (at least not in its current form). The Time Attack and Playground modes might be more interesting, but I can't figure out why you would lock it behind such a big wall. I don't want to solve 300 more puzzles just to try it.

And I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but when I got my hands on the game, there were only 41 people on the leaderboards. About 5-7 on the boards for the other two modes. Maybe most testers didn't show up on there? I don't know. But there were very few people who broke 1000 points, so I'm not sure what kind of feedback you were getting from testers. If people were actively playing the game, wouldn't you expect them to get higher scores? And wouldn't you think something is up if so few people are unlocking the other modes?

8. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm thinking time attack is where the real challenge is going to be

9. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    No. You're not sounding harsh at all. There's no point in being a dev if we can't even take criticism about our games. Earlier those numbers for unlocking the newer modes were far lesser than what they are and most players didn't like that. They felt that we're giving everything too early. This is a very small change but we'd wait for few more player feedback before we decide this one.

About the leaderboard part, Game Center wasn't enabled during the testing stage as it needs sandbox mode to use it before the game is published and most testers didn't have that.

10. Ah ok so ignore my comments about the testers. :)

I'm not sure why people would want the Time Attack and other mode locked behind a bigger wall. When has more variety/options been a bad thing? Those who get bored with the endless mode might stick with the game longer if they like the other modes.

11. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I need 190 more puzzles to unlock playground mode, what did it start at ? 300 ? If so, then I think it's fine I only really got to play for about 10 minutes at work right before my shift started and if it went down that much already then I think it's fine where it's at, I like having something to work towards even if it's for only a little bit. I think after another solid like 10 minutes I'll have it unlocked. I'll tune back in after I get it unlocked =]

12. I played a lot longer than 10 minutes (as you can see by the video I posted) and I also have 191 left for Playground mode. That's odd.

13. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    My guess would be, I lost a bunch from not paying attention and the first puzzles are super easy so Iv done the beginning like 6 times flying through, and you've been going far so prob less puzzles in the end ? Just a guess...

14. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok I'm going to go with maybe it was maybe 50-100 to high of a unlock

15. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    close enough ;)

If you come across any particular problem, please notify us at [email protected]

Working on the next update with some important minor fixes and started work on the save feature as well as few other implementations.

16. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
  17. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    Save Almost ready and Next Theme set announcement

Update: Save feature is almost done along with some minor "Challenges" related fixes :)

Would be pushing out the next version very soon!

Also, next theme set titled "Family" is more than 50% complete. You might need some tissues for this one. :(

More updates soon!

18. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Yayyyyy I'm excited, thanks for the update =]

19. Dropout_Games

Patreon Silver

Jul 6, 2015
    Update: Save feature implemented. Number of puzzles needed to unlock new modes are reduced.

Will give ya'll a sneak peek of the next set soon.

20. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Lol now that I only need 20 more for time attack mode ' ! Haha save feature though, hurray ! People NEED to hop on this after that !