iPad Blue Skies Now $.99

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Everydaynormalguy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Definitely a must-have!

2. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I love this game, don't mind that I paid $5.99 for it at all.

Play on hard, I found it too easy otherwise.

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    This is one of the best arcade games on the iPhone and I want everyone to have it.

Version 3.0 has been submitted to the App Store, so it's getting cheaper AND better.

4. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I was wondering what people's opinion of this game was...
    I guess for $.99 it sounds like a great bargain. I'll pick this puppy up when I'm off work tonight. Hopefully the sale lasts the entire day and evening.
    There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a sale last only a few hours.

Developer, please keep it on sale for the next 24 hours so I can purchase this tonight! :)

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #5 crunc, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    "one of the best arcade games..." - Nice self-promotion there. :) I'm really pleased to hear that we're getting another major update! What's in this new version?

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Strafing, ability to pause in game and adjust options and accelerometer calibration, better hud, requires less memory, ability to continue levels in arcade mode.

7. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    My only complaint with the game is that it gets boring after a while, your basically doing the same thing each level with a harder difficulty. I have beat it arcade mode twice, once on the original version and once on the updated one, unless theres some drastic change in the new version i probably wont play it again because it's boring. There has to be some sort of challenges, for example in chopper you rescue people, you need something more like that. Hope that helps.

8. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
    I liked the lite version and just may have to give a buck to upgrade to this version

9. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Me too Renare, but one thing i'm wondering is how much the Cash part plays into the game.. you can buy new weapons and then go back and play the same guys as before, or is it kinda like it's inevitable for you to have to upgrade to beat the next level...

Does that make sense?

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    This is just a minor update. I'd like to add more interesting things like rescue missions, boss levels and some different weapons like homing missiles in the future. There are also plans to port this game to Xbox Live :)

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    What about WiiWare? Motion control with the Wii Remote should be pretty straight forward, no? Besides, I don't have an Xbox 360 and won't be getting one....

12. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I am getting a Wii next week. However I don't know what the development process is like. I read it costs around $2000 to get a kit. I may try it later. For now I plan on beefing up Blue Skies to make it a worthy Xbox game and those features will go into the iPhone version as well.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I LOVE the lite version a lot so I bought the full version straight away. It's seriously a must have!

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Blue Skies 3.0 for $0.99

Blue Skies 3.0 is now available with these changes:

-Added strafing
    -Improved hud
    -Lighter shadows on helicopters
    -In game pause / options / calibration
    -Ability to continue levels in arcade mode
    -Changed music compression to make game smaller
    -Removed intro logo sound
    -Improved stability and reduced memory requirements

15. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    @RPGGuy:

Nice game man, can't get any better than this for one dollar!...

16. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Eh, not my taste

I just bought this game for a dollar. Quite frankly, I don't understand the hype

17. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Is there a better 2D shooter available right now? When it was released there weren't any that showed you can use an iphone to make a game like this.

18. Danillson

Danillson Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I don't really like the game. The concept is good but there have to be many improvements. When I saw it at the price of 9,99 I knew the developer couldnt keep that price. 9,99 was way to high. But now it's .99 and I'm still not sure if it's worth it.
    The gameplay is quite boring and the difficulty is way to low. The terrain is allways the same. There are only 3 different enemies (not counting the mines).
    But I don't want to complain so much. It's not a bad game but it's overrated.

19. Panther

Panther New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #19 Panther, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    Some simple objectives that are more involved than shooting x number of this and that would make a world of difference. Some ideas could include:

Fly to this enemy base and rescue x hostages. You could have turrets and all sorts of defensable areas that need to be 'infiltrated'.

Get the bomb from x base and deliver the payload to the targets.

Assist the resistance in defending their base.

Stop the enemy from building their missle defense turrets. If you don't get to some of them in time they become much harder to take out.

Fly with this Helicopter unit and take out x target. You'd have a group of fellow choppers to make your attack with.​

Perhaps I simply haven't played far enough into the game to see how it really evolves but for me this has been the biggest element missing from holding my interest. Ultimately if you felt like you were part of a grand storyline unfolding that would make it more akin to a large development company offering.

The foundation is here for a nice and slick game. Even with the lack of varied backdrops and such it's certainly a lot better than a lot of the junk in the app store. It's also nice to see a developer so involved in continuing his support for his project.

The larger question of when is a game really developed enough for release vs releasing a game that could really use a lot of additions and polish to make it 'done' is something for another thread. If this game had mission type variety, varied settings, a plethora of weapons, boss fights, a big selection of enemy's, and a good storyline then it would be a title that might carry a 9.99 price tag. For 99 cents it's not to shabby as it is though and does seem to be evolving into something that has some more meat to hold peoples interest.

Sorry to ramble on just thought I'd offer some feedback as I really like the concept of this game and would love to see some more depth implemented:)

20. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Have you played the higher levels? It gets very frantic and fun.

There are more than 3 enemies... there's 6 types of planes with different weapons and speeds, 3 types of tanks, 3 types of helicopters, mines, blimps...

Nobody complained about tetris being boring and this has way more freedom and things to do.