iPad Blue Skies 3GS is out - First game with pixel shaders?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Blue Skies is an award winning helicopter shooter arcade game that has been on the App Store since August 2008.

The 3GS enhanced version makes use of the pixel shaders that are ONLY found in the new iPhone 3GS. It has per pixel bump mapping and amazing dynamic animated water that demonstrates the true power of the new iPhone 3GS! Besides being a graphical showcase, Blue Skies is a fun and addictive game as well!

Blue Skies 3GS iTunes Link

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    All right. Didn't have the original. Have a 3GS. Buying now...

3. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    looks nice, guess I'll try it too..

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    London, UK
    Is there any way someone can show us a comparison of the two versions? I'd be interested to see how much of a difference it really makes.

5. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Gameplay-wise, it is the same. The graphics are much improved, however.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    what's pixel shading?

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's awesome is what it is. Sorry, it's a graphical enhancement as far as I can tell. I'm sure the dev can gice a more detailed answer. BTW, thanks for going with a low price point to begin with...I know some people have already bought the previous version.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
  9. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    I am a shameless whore and am thus downloading this right now.

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    You're not a whore if you enjoy it.

11. mikekatz24

mikekatz24 Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    #11 mikekatz24, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    i'm not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. i've prolly spent well over $1,000 on apps, but charging for the exact same game for those of us who have already purchased it is insulting. this should most certainly be a free update for those who have bought it. especially when you consider some (me a year ago) bought at MUCH higher price than the current .99.

12. ThatRevChap

ThatRevChap Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Very true. I should have tried the Lite version of the old version first, but pretty pictures made me buy the full version.

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    There's a big back and forth discussion about this issue on the upcoming games thread for this game and the 3GS version of Dark Raider. Let's try to keep that off of this thread.

14. mikekatz24

mikekatz24 Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    i'm not trying to be a dick, but what SHOULD we talk about here? honestly, its the EXACT same game as a year ago so i'm 100% certain there must already be a thread for THAT too. should this entire thread be limited to discussing the new enhanced graphics? because as far as i can tell that's the ONLY difference. i guess in theory this thread can be used to discuss the increased 5mb size also.

so sizzla, are you a moderator or just someone trying to assert control and be annoying?

well look at that--turns out i AM trying to be a dick!

15. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    The original is a fave of mine, I started playing it again last week. I'm about halfway through, but I've deleted it to make room for this. I find it a better game than the 3D bootant one, although I do enjoy that too.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Well, mission accomplished. You're not just trying to be one...you are one! Enjoy your accomplishment. If this game is the same as the earlier one except for the graphics, what the hell else should the thread be for except the graphics? I'm not a mod, I don't claim to be one, but I happen to do a little research before I post, so I knew that there was this argument brought up (by me, BTW nimrod) in another thread, so I was just hoping this thread wouldn't go off the rails. I suppose that's impossible with certain people trolling here. Wow, it only took you 20 odd posts to show your true colors...it usually takes longer.

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    London, UK
    You'd probably be better off complaining to the developers directly if you feel that cheated, there's not much point in moaning to us and hoping they stumble across your post.

18. mikekatz24

mikekatz24 Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    i didn't pay for it, so i dont feel cheated. however the developers (if they're not complete morons) probably troll touch arcade and look for any thread regarding their games, so in essence i AM complaining to the developers.

seriously, i have to explain this to people with 50x the number of posts as me?

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The dev doesn't troll. He's an active member. If you honestly gave a rat's ass about doing something other than complaining you could have found that out in seconds, and sent him a PM. He's very responsive.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    London, UK
    General forum ettiquete involves trying to keep the number of duplicate threads to a minimum... no one was arguing against your complaint, merely pointing out there's already a topic about the issue.

This is too off-topic now anyway so I'm gonna stop before we all get shouted at.