iPad Blue Skies 2.0 Available

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Sep 20, 2008.

1. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The full version of Blue Skies 2.0 is now available in the App Store!

The lite 2.0 version was released a day before the full version, so now you can get it and there is no confusion between version numbers.

Over 30,000 people have downloaded Blue Skies Lite on the first day, and the reviews have been great. Thanks for all your support.

2. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Congrats on the reception of your app dude, I like the new version with the added eye candy.

3. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I lost all my progress!

The update adds many new features but unfortunaly it will also wipe your progress. :mad:

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #4 crunc, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
    Yep - same problem for me, and I have to say... having to go through those first 10 levels again is a drag. I wish there were a way to choose a starting level, or at least choose to skip all the introductory levels. Next update? Of course it would have been better had it just kept our progress.

EDIT: The game is definitely improved, once you get past the loss of progress. I'm wondering if it was due to a bug in Blue Skies or a bug in the firmware - I lost data in Dizzy Bee once after updating it, before 2.1.

Level 8 is better now that it's not just mines. I wish you could see what difficulty level you are playing at - I think I started on Hard difficulty, but I'm not sure. I like the clouds and rain, etc.

5. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Ya this is a really cool game.... D/L the Demo then the real thing....

#1 Can you Pause a Game?

Now the rest of my email is nit picky little baby stuff. So to the Developer... Awesome work. But these are things I saw that bothered me.

*The gun sound could be better.
    *Strafe?
    *More Enemies
    *This game is fun (Hey thats not a Gripe!)

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    To pause the game during gameplay click the power button and again to unpause.

7. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The progress loss is as designed and not a bug. The level difficulty was ramped up and the file format was changed, so it uses a different save file. I figured you'd want to play through the game again to see what had changed anyways.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well, I have to say that that wasn't the best decision. The update included the ability to start over anyway, and with that the user could decide whether or not to play the levels over again, rather then being forced to do so, and unexpectedly at that. For me it wasn't a huge problem because I wasn't that far along - I had stopped playing in part because I wanted to wait for this update (the inability to pause and resume the game where left off in 1.0 was a killer for me.) So, the update is great, but in the future, and for future projects, I'd suggest not trashing players progress by design.

9. XOrlandoPX

XOrlandoPX Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Student
    Congratulations RPGGuy Blue Skies is now under the "Top Paid Apps" page in iTunes :)

10. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    Congrats, RPGGuy! I want to see your app do well since you took our advice to heart. :D

11. darthwen

darthwen New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    saving problem

I lose my progress every time when I play the arcade mode. I can still continue the story, but it always starts of at chapter 2, and somehow, I have all the weapons and 6 lifes and all the money I made in the arcade mode.:confused:

12. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    This is an awesome game. I gotta say, you shouldn't have listened to the price complainers. The demo probably would have solved your woes. Once the Lite version did it's job,was easy to see what a great game it is. The screen shots on iTunes did not do the graphics justice. I don't know how. They were obviously the actual game graphics. I know you added the clouds and rain, but the rest of the graphics are the same as before, right? I guess I just had to see them in motion to tell that they weren't as dated as the pics made them seem. I also couldn't tell from the description on the store what kind of game it really was. I thought it was a scrolling 2D shooter, albeit with RPG "elements." The fact that you actually choose which direction to fly makes it an entirely different genre, which I wouldn't know how to classify.

Moral of the story: make a free preview of your game.

One suggestion: could there be an option to switch between vertical & landscape view? Sometimes things right in front of me seem to sneak up too fast. If it was vertical, you'd have more time to react. Then again, I'm not sure how much I'd miss the peripheral vision I'd lose. So an option to switch between would be really cool. Especially if you could do it live in the middle of a game!

13. Nursedad

Nursedad Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Update definitely adds to the success of this game.

Agree with some of the suggestions already offered up to the DEV in this thread. Would also like to see some more work put into the calibration piece. I still cannot calibrate the screen when laying on my back on the couch.

Otherwise...great game!

- - Jeff

14. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    This game would not have sold as many copies for $9.99 - no matter how great it is. Trust me. The apps in the top 25 that sell for $9.99 are from established developers. Even Pangea has lowered Cro-Mag Rally and Enigmo, two exceptional games, from $9.99 to $1.99 and $4.99, respectively. If this game becomes successful, this developer can sell his next game for $7.99 to start, and he will do well. The problem that developers are not noticing when comparing the iPhone platform to the Nintendo DS is that you cannot sell the app when you get bored of it!! And trust me, none of these apps has seemed so astounding to me that I will keep it on my phone for more than a few days. I am sure that there are quite a few Nintendo DS users who wait for those who purchase the games when they come out at a higher price and sell them at a lower price once they get tired of the game. In the case of the iPhone/iPod touch, that never happens. Therefore, those people will wait for a price cut to buy. That is fine if the price cut occurs within a relatively short period of time (2 or 3 weeks). If not, those people may purchase another app that sells for less. It is a matter of economics and the fact that there is no way to transfer these apps from one user to another. So they cannot be sold on the "previously owned" market. That's one of the major reasons why a lower price is required, and developers who embrace that notion to begin with will create a larger fan base and gain more profits overall! Look at Trism as an example - the guy sold it for $4.99 from the outset, and he made about $250k in two months, I believe. Your app has to be pretty good and/or innovative, however. Crappy apps will still fail in the long run, or I hope so!!

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I originally was going to make the game vertical but the iphone feels more natural in your hands in landscape, especially when using the accelerometer to steer. I did push the helicopter down from the center so you can see a little further in front of you.

The tanks, helicopter, blimps, and terrain were changed in 2.0. The rest of the graphics are the same.

In arcade mode you have to finish the whole level or you will lose your progress.

For strafing I think I'm going to add buttons on either side of the screen in the middle.

I agree with some comments that the shadows are too dark. I will fix that up in a future version.

16. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    #16 majormauser, Sep 22, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
    I love this game but these are the serious problems that I can't believe are not in version 2.0.

#1 no real Pause - Please ADD a way to Pause the game.

#2 Even when my iPhone is set to speakers OFF the sound still plays. Every other App does not work this way. When I flick the NO RING switch the sound is OFF. Not so with Blue Skies. Also I think the Audio even when turned down plays at full blast.....:mad:

#3 The Accelometer setting while welcome... don't really seem to be working correctly. After changing the settings I would like to reset them to the FACTORY defaults. Right now my helecopter flys backwards when I push forward or back.

Thanks

MM

17. davidmdowning42

Aug 12, 2008
    Oh! And I have to say this, just because I've never had the chance to say this directly to a dev before. I don't think that the concept I'm about to talk about messes up your game at all. But it's an across the board video game thing that I've been noticing forever.

A physics issue: When a body is carried by another body in motion, the moving body imparts its motion to it.
    Examples:
    * When you stand on a moving bus and jump into the air, the bus doesn't move out from under you, you come down in the same place on the bus floor that you jumped from.
    * When you stand in an elevator going down and jump, you can't jump extra high because the elevator falls out from under you. The downward motion has already been imparted to you, and you just jump as high as you ever could.
    * If you throw a ball straight out the window of a moving car, from your perspective the ball appears to go straight out from you. But from the outside one could see the ball also follow the car's forward motion, and thusly go out diagonally rather than perfectly perpedicular from the car, because the car imparted it's motion. It would have to in order to appear perpendicluar to the person in the moving car.

Groking?

So when I play Mario, and I'm standing on a moving platform, and a low lying obstacle crosses the path of the platform. I shouldn't have to push forward when I jump over the obstacle to stay on the platform. It should impart it's motion to me. I should merely have to jump in place.

So anybody who knows more about physics than I do correct me if I'm wrong but-
    If I'm flying a helicoptor and it's spinning/turning and I shoot a missle, shouldn't the motion of my spin be imparted to it?

This is something that I have neer seen any physics engine for any game ever address, so I'm sure it would be ridiculously difficult to do something like this with this great, but simple 2D game. I just wondered if you or any other devs around here had ever considered this?

18. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    #1. Yes there is. Click the power button on your phone (the button on the top). It will go into power save mode and click it again to unpause.

#2. I don't know if there is something I need to detect for that the no ring switch. The music is controlled in the options screen. It definitely isn't playing full blast no matter what here.

#3. The calibration screen shows the accelerometer values. Hold it so x = -0.8, y = 0, z = -0.8 and that is the default setting.

19. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    David..

Missiles are propelled by rockets which would hopefully make any angular velocity from the helicopter small in comparison. Otherwise you would have to watch out for your own missiles lol.

Come on... it's an arcade game. :)

20. davidmdowning42

Aug 12, 2008
    Like I said, I don't think you need to change it at all. Your rocket point is well taken. Even if I was techinically right, since nobody has ever paid attention to this aspect of physics, I'm sure it would throw everything off for most players, because we've never dealt with it before.