iPad Blue Attack, Blue Defense 2.0, $0.99!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jakooistra, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    The title says it all. :)

happy gaming!

2. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Whats in the new version?

3. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Oh only blue defense was updated.

4. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Blue Attack is an absolutely fantastic game. Anyone who doesn't have it should pick it up. I spent hours playing the survival mode. The gameplay is very finely tuned, the upgrades are fantastic, the amount of time you can spend upgrading your ship in one survival play through is addicting, and the graphics are the best I've seen in this genre. The only thing that would make this game better is a story based game mode where you started with a weak ship and took it through a campain/storyline (with specific missions,) upgrading as you went. As is, though, the survival mode is more than worth the price.

5. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    definitely pick up Blue Attack... very fun, and easy to waste a lot of time on it! wellll i wouldn't say it's a WASTE! :D

6. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Is Blue Attack anything like Isotope? I was thinking of getting Isotope until I saw this sale- now I am hoping to save $1.99 by just getting Blue Attack haha

7. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yes, blue attack is the same genre as Isotope. I would say the upgrades in Blue Attack have more of an impact on the game, but Isotope have more upgrades overall.

Also, Blue Attack have waaaay crazier enemies! A bunch of them doesn't fit on the screen. One I remember is like... 2½ screens wide and 1½ screen high.

8. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I have both, and I actually found Blue Defense to be better. If Attach was updated with Isotope-like controls, I would love it though.

9. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    sorry, no new version - Blue Defense was already 2.0 before the price drop! :p

This is just a one-week promo thing... by the end of the day tomorrow, they'll be back up at $2... *gasp*

10. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Hmm, maybe I'll have to check out this Isotope game. :)

yeah, some of them are ridiculous... if my graphics engine were any more powerful (which it could be... I'm still tuning it up for the next game!), Blue Attack's enemies would have been even bigger and more complicated. :)

I especially like the big mean guy that just sits there, with two giant claws around the mothership, staring it down. I think he's the second last level on the easy path. :p

ooh, or the one on the hard path that completely encircles your mothership!

does anyone think it's weird that I still get excited over my own game months after I released it? I still come back to it every now and then. I'm nowhere near good enough to be on the leaderboards anymore though. :(

11. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Hey Man, Where the hell have you been?? The blue series games are classic (well 6-months old classic) When's the next blue game coming out??

12. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Agree 100%. Perfect iDevice shooter.

13. davagorn

davagorn Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    No...I suspect that's why the game is so good. If devs enjoy playing their own games, you don't have to worry about them just throwing apps out there to make money. BA is clearly a labor of love, and it shows.

14. smwatson

smwatson Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Blue Attack is pretty much perfect. I'm not a fan of the accelarometer as a control device at all for any genre, but it's implemented well enough for it not to annoy me alot in this game. Superb.

15. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    did you notice that there's also touch controls? :)

go to "Ship Control Settings" in the options menu, and select "Touch" instead of "Tilt". That should give you some nice touch controls to use instead of the accelerometer.

16. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Man, I've been grinding away in my workshop since the last game. If you remember, I tried making a typing-tutor style blue game, with some cool game mechanics, but it just wasn't fun enough, so I put it on the back burner.

now, I've got an all new project going on, and it's a whole lot beefier than the other two titles. :)

I'll give you a progress update on this next game:

engine: 98% complete
    UI: 85% complete
    Music: 10%, development phase
    Plot (ooooh): 60% complete
    Level design: 1% complete :(

the UI in this game is so detailed, and I've spent so much time on it, I only hope that it does the game justice. There's a lot of stuff available to you, even if the majority of gamers will only use like 20% of the screens... the game demanded flexibility, so I spent the time to make sure it's very usable.

:)

anyway, that's enough for now... I don't want to tip my hand just yet. I think fans of the blue series will really enjoy this game, even though it's somewhat different from the other two. :p

17. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Jak that sounds awesome man!! I can't believe you've been able to fly under the radar this long:D Yeah I think I speak for everyone on the forum when I say THANK YOU!. It takes a lot to pull the plug on a project, but you chose to give us only the best product you can, at what I'm sure is your own expense, so here's to that. As for the next Blue game, you've definitely got my interest peaked!! Been waiting to see what your next move would be, can't wait, just make sure you keep us posted;) Maybe when you get a little closer you can post some screenies of the new UI???:)

18. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    John, how goes it?

I am SO psyched for a new game from you. Your games are incredibly polished, stable, and most importantly...fun. They have a balance in their gameplay that truly does approach art.

I could go on and on about BA. The quick load. The calibration. The way it saves (THE most robust save of any game on the app store). The way it handles high scores. But it's all about the gameplay....sublime.

I eagerly look forward to this next release from you.

It will be an instant and automatic purchase for me.

19. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    #19 skamando, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
    I found Blue Attack very tedious. The controls are extremely difficult almost unusable how it affects the game. I honestly do not recommend it. But, after reading all these reviews, I think I'll give a second look in so I don't get flamed here.

20. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    awww, sorry to hear that you didn't like it. Did you try the touch controls as well?

Also, what's the biggest thing you'd change to make it a good game for you? (so I know how best to improve my style! :) )