Universal Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (by ArtPlay & NetEase Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Aerion

Aerion Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    I found the controls just awful and requested a refund. It is slow and clunky on an iPhone XS, so one more disappointing major release for me, sorry. :(

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #42 psj3809, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Strange. I’m playing on an iPhone XS and it’s fine. Done quite a few levels. All seems good here

No offence but sure its not 'you' ? I see you also didnt like Oceanhorn 2's controls either

3. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Game was just updated but notes don’t say what other than bug fixes... I’m cranking away over here, just got double jump! No issues for me at all so far, 12PM, epic graphics.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Nice. Still at around 5% map completion, but the game does play great. Thanks for the heads up on the update.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Seems like the joystick is more responsive now.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Been playing on my iPhone 11 and looks and plays great to me!

7. Does the game let you max out the graphics? How about the battery? (I'm using the same device)

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I don't see why it wouldn't when you can max the graphics out on XS too. Like I said earlier in the thread, there IS significant battery drain, but that's to be expected.

9. I was just curious about its performance and ability

10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    The controls are just bad for this kind of game.

Still playing but finding it frustrating

11. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Picked this up yesterday, I honestly had no idea what to expect before jumping in, but was pleasantly surprised. Touch controls are manageable, nothing great, but nothing terrible. Graphics are beautiful and smooth on my iPhone 8. Can’t wait to dive into this more

12. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Wow this is a lazier port than I've expected. Controls are bad, I'd rate Dead Cells 9/10, SotN 7/10 and this one like 4/10 in terms of responsiveness. I'm sending this back to my backlog, and will be waiting for a couple of decent updates to launch it again.

Good job NetEase.

Skall likes this.
  13. I wonder if they would care and give updates. Well, there are a couple of mediocre ports this year and this game is one of them.

14. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    #54 metalwastebasket, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    The controls could be more responsive, but I don't think this could have been ported any better to mobile. As someone who has played the console version to no end, I legitimately thought there was no way the complexities of the control scheme could ever translate to mobile, yet here we are. I cannot commend NetEase enough for pulling this off. It's anything but mediocre.

Oh, and unlike Dead Cells, the only things that requires dexterity in Bloodstained are the boss fights. As with Symphony of the Night, it's all about leveling up and choice of weapons/shards...so the slightly problematic control issues go away once you git gud.

squarezero and pjft like this.
  15. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    so you think that the touch controls aren’t a deal breaker, good, because I was wondering only about that and if it is a port on the level of Nintendo Switch or Xbox One, because it is quite expensive and there are other games I want on my phone right now, because of how many games have been released recently. Any info on my second point?

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Kind of funny because I’ve actually gotten further in THIS version of the game with touch controls than I have with the Xbox One version with a physical controller. Really don’t think the controls are nearly as bad as people are making them out to be. But that’s just my opinion.

Makara Nou likes this.
  17. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    I think its more about the accessibility of the game that you made further on the iOS version.

18. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    If the game was unplayable, accessible or not, I don't think @anthony78 (or any of us) would have bothered playing through it on iOS given we have other means to play it. Also, as previously mentioned, it's quite the battery eater, so it's not as accessible as it might seem. ;)

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah if its unplayable i'll be the first to moan. Its not unplayable. I've got quite far into the game (Using touch controls not a joystick) and i havent found any areas where i'm thinking 'damn these controls dont work'. Just enjoying the game, its not 'unplayable' at all

Gwarmaxx and anthony78 like this.
  20. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    So, you are saying the iOS version is overall superior to the Xbox version?