Universal Blood Roofs - (by Gamesmold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is so much better than Temple Run. The only thing that temple run has over this is that it has a fan-base and is now a subgenre for runner games. Temple Run is also pretty much a casual game compared to this one.

2. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Boost and Boost 2 have no touch controls, unless you count the menus. :ducks: Sorry, my OCD compelled me to respond.

3. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    This developer has about 5 games on available on the AppStore besides this one, and none have ever gone free. In fact, I don't think any of them have ever been on sale or have seen a price drop. Your loss.

4. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Don't forget the 20 dollar bet. In lieu of a cashier's check I'll accept iTunes credit.

5. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    'Tis a shame 'cause I can't imagine paying for this. Looks like a broken mess to be quite honest.

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ok. :)

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Puzzle Dozer (not the lite, but the 1-dollar version) has gone free twice, and Puzzle Dozer HD, Cart Cow HD and d-capitatrix HD has seen one dollar price drops once or twice (in the case of d-capitatrix HD) in the respective lifetime of each game. (Appshopper.com has a function called "App Activity" which is great for checking the update and price history of an iOS app.)

That said, Gamesmold certainly does not seem like a company that plays the price game to any drastic extent, and some of their titles (Spooky Hoofs, Panic Springs, Cart Cow, non-HD, and d-capitratix, the non-HD version) have seen no price drops what so ever, in all four cases in well over a year. So I agree with you in the implication that Blood Roofs might not drop in price or become free any time soon, if ever.

If the developer gives me at least a sliver of hope in reply to my my earlier query, I'll be all over this game.

8. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    It's a mess but it's not broken, unless you're willing to count the game's inability to save persistent upgrades.

I assume it's just me who's losing persistent upgrades if I delete the app off the multiask bar? All temporary items get saved, including coins, bombs and boosts.

Pretty neat runner though. Great theme, loved the idea of roof hopping.

Animation could use some more fluidity and the hero's lose his back's 'plastic' look.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Second Glitch found. After respawn, there isnt any ground or roof to land on, and so... Fell to my death. Then the last respawn, nothing to land on still... Game over. Happened only once though, so im not sure what causes it.

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

At the begining it`s really, really brutal hard till you realize that you have to time those jumps to don`t just jump into the Air. After around ten Minutes I got into it and did killed the first Boss.

Overall I like it since it seem kinda the logic evolution of Temple Run on many Levels. What I really enjoy are those Gore/Horror Elements. I do apprentice it even more then I had first thought I would do after I had seen the first Trailer of the Game and thought that it`s just an Temple Run Clone with a new Setting.

Overall well done Gamesmold.

11. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #91 retr0spective, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    I am really having fun with this one so far and I can see what everyone is saying about the floatiness of the jump and lowness of the camera angle. Unfortunately, I don't think that the proposed solutions would work. Increasing the speed of the jump would simply mean that you will plummet to your death faster and it seems that the camera angle is as low as it is to provide the greatest range of visibility of upcoming rooftops - shift it up and you run the risk of moving upcoming platforms out of view and potentially missing your jump. I think that intuitively assimilating the range of the jump is key. As suggested previously the wings upgrade makes things much, much easier - it also provides the context of the floatiness of the jump.

I only have one criticism so far, and it is that the main character needs some new skins. I am quickly getting tired of staring at his oily back

Blood Roofs is not quite ready to replace The End App for me but they are ultimately so different that it will never really have to.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #92 metalcasket, Sep 10, 2012
    I don't get how some people are calling this "broken" or a "mess". Like Sanuku, retr0spective and a few other people earlier in the thread said...spend some time with the game, get used to the mechanics, upgrade your wings and you'll see a world of difference. Yeah, I'm with folks that say there could be some improvement, but from EP's comments and my personal experience playing the game over the last 24 hours...it's somewhat like Super Hexagon...you get better at it. I haven't died before hitting the second boss in hours.

13. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Where did I call it Broken or a Mess?

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Not you...:p I was saying that while people (look at the previous page) were calling it that, folks should listen to you, retro, etc. etc. etc. Lemme edit my post to make more sense. ;)

15. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearly that out. I just thought for a second that MiniMe Sanuku had created an post and did posted something inappropriate.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    MiniMe Sanuku? Try this on for size. >_> What the hell is up with that!??!

17. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Actually, the exact opposite has happened for me. All persistent upgrades have gotten saved, while single use items have disappeared. I haven't lost any coins, though.

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Hmm...what if, only while the character is in the air, the camera could be tilted on the y-axis by tilting the device back and forth?

I don't know how much work it would take...that depends quite a bit on what sort of development platform was used when creating this game.

19. ohyesuare

ohyesuare Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    How do you upgrade your wings permanently?

20. Gamesmold

Gamesmold Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    #100 Gamesmold, Sep 10, 2012
    Save data on jailbroken devices

Hi gunxsword, there seems to be a problem with reading persistent data on a jailbroken device. Because of the jailbreak hack, the device tells the app that iCloud is available (though it is not), and then the app tries to read the iCloud data.
    BUT: Your unlocks are not lost! They are saved on your device and with my upcoming update, they will be there right away (cause I'll fix this and then the app finds the data).

This is how it was meant to be, as long as they disappeared due to getting used (they are consumable - take a look into the store section, these items are marked as "single use", just as in Temple Run).

"Unlocks" (like a new character, wings or warp gates) are saved persistently, they can't get consumed and they also get transferred to other devices via iCloud.

"Single Use Items" like the coins, grenades or boosts get consumed when used. They are also stored only locally on the device and not in iCloud.
    (Otherwise, for instance, one could buy 5000 coins, store them in iCloud, then switch iCloud off, consume the coins, switch iCloud on again and there are 5000 coins again... ;) )

Anyway, thank you all for the great support and feedback! I really appreciate all your suggestions and discussions and I promise, I will try to take all of them into accout for my upcoming iOS6 update!

Best,
    Thomas