Universal Blood Roofs - (by Gamesmold)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Quick question regarding jumping: do you always have demon-wings, is that a powerup, or do they just appear in certain segments of the game?

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #22 metalcasket, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
    It's a permanent upgradeable unlockable.

EDIT: And you can obtain temporary power-ups for it (i.e. I just stumbled upon a "2 flaps per jump" one...of course you can permanently upgrade the wings to do 2 flaps).

Also, I just came across the first "boss"...omg this game is tew kewl fer skewl!!!

EDIT 2: The IAPs truly are optional. It took me probably 10 minutes of playing on and off to get 1000 coins and I didn't even reach said first boss. If you want to unlock another character (to carry) for 9000 coins, that's pretty much nothing.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Ladies and germs, I give you...EP!

5. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Was sleeping. LOL... This is a great wake up surprise. Downloading now!

6. WAV 80

WAV 80 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Makes sense. Yeah, this seems to be more than just a temple run clone. This looks like it has more depth and action into it. You are totally right. :D

7. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    For those who have already taken the plunge, is this game something that you'll be playing for only a few days? Or do you reckon you'll still be at it in a few weeks/months time? Is it just a few gorgeous hours or does it contain some longevity under the hood? Thanks in advance.

8. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    Me too...been waiting for this...bought...downloading :D

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's still too early for me to say, but based on what I know so far, you're playing a story mode of sorts and there's an unlockable "Survival" mode in the store. Mind you I still haven't beaten the first boss, so I don't know how long the game is, but I definitely want to see it through. Considering the app is as new as it is, there's space for it to grow and evolve and I certainly would consider this a keeper just to see where it goes. I hope some of SQ0's suggestions are considered.

10. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    So is a endless runner or mission/ stage based.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm presuming it's stage based, but like I said, there's an endless mode (almost certain) to be unlocked.

12. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA

Thanks for your initial bro! Nice work....bought

13. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#33 killercow, Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah it's stage based with a boss at the end of every level. (I was at the third one) The boss just disappear at some point if you don't have enough bullet to defeat him and the game goes on.
    Also don't forget to kill the bubble shaped like ennemies, they will reward you most of the time with a power up (wings, bonus life). With the wings equipped it is a bit easier to jump.
    Correction: Some parts are randomized and the order of some bosses can change.

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #34 Ayjona, Sep 9, 2012
    Gamesmold, this looks truly and honestly amazing. However (and this is in NO way criticism, as I am aware most players probably do not suffer from this smartphone age handicap ;) ), I simply cannot work with tilt controls. I have tried, time and time again, in excellent games said to feature the most intuitive and natural of tilt implementations, but I cannot seem to enjoy a game unless I'm rubbing grease all over that little screen.

Is there any hope of a touch-only control scheme down the road? I realize it might be hard to implement, since there already seems to be quite a lot of UI elements and buttons on the screen, but I think I (and the others who feel like me, of which there might not be a rabid horde and dominant majority, but at least a few more, here and there, dispersed in small cells of tilt resistance across the globe) would rather have just an accectable touch-only scheme, than to live life on the tilting plane.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #35 Exact-Psience, Sep 9, 2012
    Only played a few games and I have only defeated the first boss so far. (EDIT: 2 bosses now after my first game after I posted this. LOL)

I have waited ever so impatiently for this one to come out and here it is.... finally. I know I even sounded like a douche on the upcoming thread because of the rejections and delays for this new game to be released.

I can say this game, right now as it is, isnt as perfect as I hoped it would be. I still love it and it's a great game, but there are a few flaws that really get in the way of your enjoyment.

Having said that, imma start with the bad.

Camera view needs to be from a higher standpoint. i see my character's back more than that monster in my way until it's too late and I take damage or I die. That isnt the worst part of the poor camera view. Jumping from higher rooftops to a lower one... WHERE IS THAT ROOF? I wish I could see where i'd land, or whether i should flap my wings, or if i need to tilt more. But right now, landing on a low roof from a higher rooftop is a luckfest, and causes the most frustration for me out of this game.

Im sure an issue like this will be an easy fix on the dev's part if they happen to read and listen to comments and suggestions, and im really hoping they do, because i know the dev posted a few times on the upcoming thread.

Another feature in this game I found flawed is the falling physics. It feels too floaty. Needs more gravity applied on the rooftop-running, damsel-saving guy. On the bright side, it helps you in last-second maneuvers to land on the rooftop that you cant see underneath you. Despite this saving-grace-moment, i still think both points should be tweaked to make it perfect.

Right now, those are the only 2 thing I think are bringing the game down. Fix those, and we have arguably one of the best runners on the appstore. Having said best, here are the features i love in the game.

Graphics. Sharp and crisp, both on my 4S and pad3.

I saw the trailer on the upcoming thread and im like OMGWTFBBQ! and I was all over youtube, google and anything i could think of to check and follow the game. It is gorgeous, sharp, and I love how you characters movements adjust to the angles of the rooftops. They arent perfectly realistic on some points, but they work well in this game.

The lighting is perfect too. BUT only on the backgrounds. Im not sure why the main character doesnt have a shadow, and I dont really care if the monsters have them or if they dont, as that isnt as noticeable as the main character's shadows.

The monster designs are all too unique for me. And that is pretty much a good thing. The enemies look unique, and they arent static. They move all over the place, even just in a small area around them. This is waaaaay better than Pitfall's snakes or scorpions, or Blood Run's imma-stand-here-until-you-kill-me peons.

The rain and lightning effects really help in the atmosphere this game portrays, and they did it perfectly. Minor splatters on your screen, and heavy rain lines fill the screen and i love it.

Rooftops have varied designs as well as the buildings they sit on. Chimneys, clock towers, train bridges, arches. All very lovecraftian and perfectly implemented for some great overall atmosphere.

Sounds. Those echoes? Awesome. The sharp gunshot sound (from the default chick Catherine) makes it very rewarding to make those shots count. Background music mashes well with the atmosphere of the game.

Gameplay and controls.

For gameplay, the devs used the basic Temple Run formula and added a great deal of depth and style to create one of the most unique and atmospheric runners we have on the appstore.

You save an injured damsel-with-a-machine-gun and you carry her towards salvation running and jumping on and off rooftops.

There's a jump button, and a shoot button. Oh and there's a small, almost insignificant reload button too. The jump also works as double or triple jump later on in the game, either through upgrades, or in-game pickups. The shoot button is, well, it lets the not-so-helpless chick you carry rain bullets upon the menacing monsta crew. That reload button is a bit unnecessary, as the chick just reloads it automatically when she's out and it's one thing to require some effort into checking your clip occasionally to make sure you have bullets to spare. Just. Too. Unnecessary.

I wish they remove the Reload button and speed up the auto-reload animation to cover up for the lack of it. In that way, they can also make the jump and shoot buttons disappear after the first few seconds you start the game and instead make them work by tapping the left and right side of the screen. I prefer having no buttons, because it means you can focus on the visual prowess and the action in the game, rather than fumbling to jump when your thumb was too high up, or when your right thumb is ill-positioned after that unneeded reload.

Moving left and right requires tilt. And they did this one well. Im not one who loves tilt for my games, but this one feels just right. It lets me control my character almost as if this was RR2, and that is a good thing. I cant say more to the tilt, but it works perfectly for me. No need for sensitivity sliders, it is purrrrrfect.

There is IAP, but I agree, it's only for the impatient. If you want to progress in this game, you have to persevere, and doing that gives you tons of ingame currency to buy whatever stuff you need. Oh, and a little spoiler, get some permanent wings first, they will save you a ton of times.

Overall this game is fantastic, but there will be occasions that you will get frustrated because of how you missed a jump because you cant see where you are going to land.

For action and runner fans, this is highly recommended, but take note of the i-cant-see-underneath-me view. Easily worth $3, and can easily even be worth more, if the camera view at least has been adjusted.

Oh... and I ran into a glitch where after respawn, the game was sidescrolling towards the left from a very far viewpoint, and i jumped, and went through the ground/rooftop underneath. Wasnt able to take a screenshot coz it happened too fast.

EDIT: on my first line, make that 2 Bosses now. :)

16. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Thank you Exact-Psience. Your impressions never disappoint. Still on the fence here since seeing where I'm going is always important to me.

17. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    So no matter what when you die you start from the beginning by the clock or can you start at a different level? I'm confused if this is a endless runner or stage based. I just made it passed the boss on the truck but when I died I started back in the beginning. Can someone please shed some light on this

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You start from the beginning everytime. But on the bright side, the randomization is a bit minor in which case it becomes easier moving from boss to boss everytime.

I guess it helps if there were chapters and checkpoints similar to how they implemented bosses and chapters in Dont Run With A Plasma Sword.

So far, I dont see it as an issue yet as it isnt really tiresome to run into the initial bosses more than a few times over.

Im looking forward to unlocking the endless mode after i get to finish the game... I imagine varied bosses will show up every few rooftops and that would be awesome.

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    There's not really anything I can add to Psience's wonderful post. Except that I haven't been able to get iCloud to work. Other than that... he's explained it perfectly.

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    So no touch only controls option?