Universal Blood Bros Arcade Machine (Hidden emulator?)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by tommi8080, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Womble

Womble Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Hmm, is this worth buying over KOBox?

2. magicmikezero

magicmikezero Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Kobox is good :)
    I don't have any roms yet on this but hopefully I will have some tomorrow and I'll give an opinion. I took a chamce and grabbed it because I lost my gridlee and kobox doesn't allow for button programming as far as I can tell. This doesn't look like it will let u program buttons either though, but the actual game blood bros let's me use the face buttons on my icade jr for the most part instead of defaulting directly to the back buttons on back if my mini machine.

3. Falcon1987

Falcon1987 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Hi all. First post but been reading the forum for awhile. Love mobile emulators. I saw BB and bought it on spec, thinking it looked like it had mame potential. But I've never been able to run it. It crashes to the home screen after 1 second.

Now with the update and ability to add roms, I am really frustrated. Seems like no one else is having issues like this. And there is no support that I can see by the developer.

Any ideas to help? I am running an iPad non-retina iOS 6.1.3 and have gone all the way to completely resetting it (erasing all settings and data).

I'd love to try Blood Bros, but can't. Ahhhhh. :)

Thanks,
    Falcon1987

4. Falcon1987

Falcon1987 Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry, I meant to type iPad mini non-retina.

5. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #65 m44, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Anybody know if you can change the iCade button settings somehow? I'm getting this layout on the iCade Core:

Player 1, Unassinged?, Player 2, Player 1
    Yellow, Red, Gray (A), Little Red Button

6. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    yep - works like a charm for me and uses the same romset as far as I can see as Gridlee. My only minor gripe is the MFi Controller is only really any use with extended as the Start button is one of the shoulder buttons on the SteelSeries that doesn't exist on the Logitech. Also on SteelSeries it only uses the Analogue stick and not the D-Pad. Anyhow, on iPad with SteelSeries it's proper old skool arcade magic for me and on my phone with the Logitech it's not so clever as I can insert coins but not start the game - although I did get one game of Donkey Kong started but couldn't do it again.
    Next up for me is Defender and then that's me set for the weekend.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    How is this emulator better than Gridlee aside from MFi controller support? Is it more stable?

I am surprised that it supports the same dated ROM set since more recent ROM sets have been made available for quite a long time since then.

8. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    It's pretty much the same with less customisation as I could programme iCade controls with gridlee. Can't find how to do that with this one. Good fun though if you have an MFi extended controller and like arcade coin-ops.

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I read it from a Twitter post that the game crashes itself deliberately in order to change ROM. Is that true? If so, unless you can't run Gridlee anymore, this seems to be an extremely poor MAME implementation with minimal features.

10. jorgemoag

jorgemoag Well-Known Member

64 bit + MFi support. I don't think it's a poor implementation. In my opinion, if you don't have MFi or an iPhone 5S (64 bit), but you have Griddle installed, then not it is worth paying. In any other case, download it.

11. magicmikezero

Feb 21, 2014
    I personally love the blood bros game :)
    Love some cabal type shooters. I wish we could get a good port of "wild guns" on the App Store with icade support.

If anybody figures out how to program your buttons with this emulator please let it be known!

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    100% agree. £2 to play Defender or your favourite arcade game of choice is a bargain in my book. It'll tide me over for now. Noone's forcing anyone to buy it. It does what it does reasonably well. These old games are pure nostalgia and you can't put a price on that stuff (well you can and here it's £1.99).

13. mariods64

mariods64 Active Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA,VT
    Looks like there is an update

14. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Does this enable use of Bluetooth controllers such as the iMpulse like Gridlee did? I have one of those and would love to be able to use it with this, also does it disable the on screen button overlay so you have the games full screen when a Bluetooth controller is being used? Lastly, has anyone tried Killer Instinct yet to see how it plays now it's been rejigged for 64bits?

15. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Can only answer on MFi, but all on screen controls disappear when an MFi controller is detected. This is what makes it not work with the Logitech as the start button is one of the shoulder buttons that doesn't exist on the standard controller layout. Sorry can't help on iMpulse but I'll try Killer Instinct tomorrow.

16. HUNK

HUNK Member

Jul 22, 2014
    USS Agent (Alpha Team)
    Rockford Island
    Killer instinct still runs like a dog (friends iPhone 5s) Are you sure it's 64-bit enabled? I must say, it is a slight speed up in the game overall compared to Gridlee.

17. magicmikezero

Feb 21, 2014
    Here's what I've got so far. I'm using an iPhone 4s and Icade jr. The on-screen buttons do not disappear with the use of Icade jr. You still only get two of your face buttons and one of the back buttons to work on the icade jr as well. This making it impossible to have use of the D button if you're playing neo geo roms, or almost any fighting game for that matter. Some have found a hidden menu by pushing random buttons and turning their device but I still have not found it. This emulator is pretty cool for what it is. So far I have not been able to get to a portrait mode and have not been able to figure out a way to get the blood bros frame off screen. If u have gridlee stick with it. I lost gridlee so I gave this a chance. I love the blood bros game and it's nice to have an option to play some old school games. The best games so far are def the one or two button games such as donkey kong and strikers 1945 plus
    If anybody figures out the hidden menu please post. I hope this app turns out better than gridlee since I had to buy it haha. But once again I'm pleased with the BB game anyways. Good job dev please keep updating.

Attached Files:

18. magicmikezero

Feb 21, 2014
    If u lay your phone flat and spin it to where your screen is upside down, just before you lift it to make the screen rotate back to right side up, hit the player 2 button, or it might be the red start button just below the player 2 button. Either way hit that general area just as you lift your phone and you'll discover the hidden menu. The only thing is, I can't get It to do anything from there. All you get is an extra menu "settings" but it only freezes your game :(

19. mariods64

mariods64 Active Member

Jul 15, 2014
    USA,VT
    That is the menu I found!

20. magicmikezero

Feb 21, 2014
    Hey mario! Yours freezes up too?