iPhone Blood Bowl by Focus Home Interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    He makes some valid points though. I love the game, but having not played it prior to this version, the IOS implementation did a horrid job of explaining what was going on. It took me playing the tutorial, several exhibition matches, and looking on BGG just to begin to get the gist of what did what. I mean, the tutorial should have AT LEAST explained what each dice side represents.

I enjoy the game, I have no issue with the price, and I disagree with the video about the graphics as personally I thought they looked pretty good for a mobile game and any higher resolution would likely have made for a lot higher storage space. However, the IOS version is not friendly to new players, and this is especially noticeable as BB is rather daunting when first looking at the consequences and reasons of every action and outcome. Fortunately for those that persevere, the game itself is deep and rewarding.

2. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Not sure yet which team I want to go on a campaign with. Did NOT do well in that tourney with Wood Elves, I'm not ready for an agility team. Kind of tempted to try Dwarfs, who ironically favour a running game. Got to find my gimmick for naming players, the idea of an Orc team with all the players named after football hooligans from the movie I.D. is kind of calling to me. Of course there's always Chaos, and I do like to punch things...

I've noticed that while you can only choose colours for your team, not pimp out individual players, when they level up they get slightly fancier armour and uniforms to make them stand out a bit. That's pretty cool. I very much enjoy the progression, making your own star player. Almost tempted to play more games with this battered Wood Elf team just because I have this ace receiver with diving catch who is well on hos way to level 4.

Will be playing this game quite a bit I reckon. Would like a couple more pitches, just for variety. Mightn't be a bad idea if they sold future teams in packs, with the useless comedy teams like goblins and halflings thrown in as freebies. After all, no-one seriously wants to play halflings, but I'd roll with them for a novelty exhibition match.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #103 LordGek, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    I'll probably get the game regardless today, but I have 1 AI question:

Is the AI at Medium and Hard at least clever enough to play to each race's strengths and not 1 really basic strategy, like forming a box around their ball carrier every time?

Oh, something else came to mind:

When I buy a given race in the game, with sufficient fame and or in-game currency I can get any of that race's star players, right? The game isn't expecting me to pay real cash again for the star players is it?

4. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #104 Parkingtigers, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Each team you buy for real cash comes with one star player, plus that ogre star player who'll fight for anyone. In the store page, you can get a close-up view of each player on the team, rotate them around and check their stats to see if you like their skills or visual style. It's actually a very well done store interface, you get to see clearly what you will be getting for your money. People may disagree with the prices, or the a la carte offerings, but it's very open about showing off what each team offers for your cash.

In the game itself, you can use team funds to hire mercenary players (basic players, with extra skills if you wish) or a star player so long as you have the petty cash to do so. They hang around for just one match. The Elf dude, Jordell Freshbreeze cost me something like 320k gold, while Morg is like 430k gold. Crazy money for a single match, but the game uses petty cash as a way to provide balance. If your team value is less than your opponent, you get given cash to buy things for that one match to balance things out. It's a pretty good system.

As to the AI, it seems ok so far but I'm losing more than the AI is winning, so hard to judge. An Elf team schooled me on chaining together a double passing play for a one turn touchdown when I thought I was safe, haven't seen less agile teams attempting such plays, they were too busy punching my guys in the face.

5. Mutantmeteor

Mutantmeteor New Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I've had Bloodbowl on the psp and xbox360 which were really quite poor ports.

This iOS version is currently my favourite game. I'm really hoping they bring more teams out and I'm quite happy with the current pricing module as I can pick and choose what I want.

Has anyone progressed enough in the campaign to discover if more stadiums are unlocked ?. Just for a change of scenery I would like there to be more stadiums available.

If we are stuck with the one I would even be okay with purchasing a dlc pack of stadiums.

Just currently stuck with restarting the campaign with the current races as it's too tempting to try them out.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Still confused then. Will additional star players for a given team ONLY be attainable via real cash, and if so, how expensive do they get?

Basically, for $17 will I get the complete game with the current 6 races or are there already even more IAPs I'll need to be mindful of to get the various super star players?

7. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Honestly forget the star players, concentrate on levelling your team. Use pre match funds for things like extra rerolls and apothecaries.

As for extra IAP there are a lot of teams in the full version, I'm personally hoping they do a large IAP to unlock all of them. If not then just pick the teams you like, be aware though that some are significantly harder to play than others, in fact some are pretty much joke teams, halflings for instance.

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks, but are star players purchased with in-game funds or IAP only?

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    The only IAP's are for additional teams, everything else is purchased with in-game funds.

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    No! You can only purchase the complete teams for real money. ;)

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Just to be clear, sorry, I feel my question is not clear.

I know that to have access to additional teams I need to pay cash money via IAPs beyond the price of the base game.

So, my question is, if I forked over $17 right now for the base game and the 4 additional $3 team purchases, do I now have complete access to say, the Dwarven Team, stars and all, or are ADDITIONAL Dwarven Star players a separate IAP?

I realize that, even if granted access to all of the Dwarven stars it would still require some big savings of in-game currency, but I'm just trying to establish if the star players are separate IAP costs beyond simply buying a given team.

12. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Yes!

There are no other things (in game cash) to buy! :)

13. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    There are no additional in-game IAP's after buying the 4 addional teams. $17 will get you everything. Including the kitchen sink.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Thanks! I don't mind dropping some serious cash for a classic, but got a bit scared off when it sounded like there were essentially IAPs within IAPs, if that makes any sense.

15. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Now I've got the game (and I love football) I've got to figure out how to play it. Went through the tutorial it seems there's a zillion rules. Geez a hell of a lot to remember. Love the commentary.

Any tips on playing and getting started for a complete newbie would be most welcome.

I'd love it if TA wrote an article on how to best play this game and win.

16. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Being an avid App Store gamer, it makes perfect sense to me. But with Blood Bowl, the monetization is straight foward, with none of the usual slight of hand developers apply to IAP's. And the key component: no consumable IAP's, all IAP's are for DLC; the extra teams.

17. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    I would Google the Blood Bowl manual. It's been a tremendous asset to me, I'm in the newbie category as well. It's been 3 days and I feel like I'm learning a new instrument when I play. A zillion rules does not feel like an overstatement.

18. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Just as a hint: If someone needs the manual, you can download it from the product page at steam .... :)

19. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    Yup, it's the first hit you'll see on Google. It still takes time to learn the ropes though. I bought this on Thursday and still feel like a newbie, even with the manual. On the bright side, it's helped me break my Hearthstone addiction.

20. Harry Merkin

Harry Merkin Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2012
    After watching the video posted earlier, reading the living rules 5.0, and playing a few games, I still feel like I make mistakes. I keep saying I should've done this first, because it's a higher percentage than this, which caused the end of my turn.

I've bought everything and find this incredibly deep. I just need the time to do it.