iPhone Blood Bowl by Focus Home Interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jul 31, 2014.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Even after all the years I still love this game, I had to pick up the chaos as it's usually ork or chaos I play as, chaos are great if you just want to try and fight your way through and not worry to much about the actual sport of scoring ;) just the way it should be.
    Haven't even started the campaign mode yet (might not either) as the exhibition games are good enough for me. £5 well spent
    Waiting in the 40k game that slitherine are doing and that will be all my gamesworkshop needs catered for on my iPad, space hulk, blood bowl and 40k.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    With quite a few people posting gameplay videos at TA i'm stunned we dont have one yet for this game. Specially when theres videos for some pretty average/dire new releases

3. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    It's even more than that. Somewhere along the way, the iPad has turned into the portable GW boardgame machine:

Warhammer Quest
    Space Hulk
    Blood Bowl
    Talisman
    Ehhhh, I'll even include Chainsaw Warrior for completeness, though it is the worst game I've ever spent money on.

The 40k game should be amazing, most wanted game on iPad for me.

Wonder if we'll ever have someone pick up a license to make:

Necromunda (probable I'd say due to it's notoriety)
    Battlefleet Gothic
    Gorkamorka

And a total blast from the past, but I'd love someone to bring back Battlecars, which came out same time as 1st edition Talisman. That was an arena car combat game, would be awesome as a digital remake. They had an official expansion called Battlebikes, and an unofficial one which was exclusive to the little comedy booklet that subscribers to White Dwarf magazine used to get. That one was Battlechairs, where injured drivers could return to the arena one final time in an armoured wheelchair.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i'm with you on that ! Would love to see Battlecars come out. I remember playing to death the terrible Battlecars game (and boy was it bad) on the ZX Spectrum years and years ago, would love if we get a proper iOS version

5. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    #85 Parkingtigers, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Oh there was a Speccy version made? This I didn't know, I went from VIC-20 to Sega Master System, didn't own any of the pre-PC gaming computers. Going to see if YouTube has some footage.

Glad to see another old-timer that remembers this one. I mostly remember the need not to knock the board so that the 20 million counters wouldn't get knocked all over the place.

Edit: remembered another for the wishlist: Dungeonquest. That would be perfect on iPad, it was essentially a 1-4 player roguelike before such things even existed. Many's the time I got trapped in the catacombs as the sun went down...

6. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah I've also got warhammer quest and talisman, I played WQ quite a lot when I got it and bought the extras but I prefer SH and blood bowl as my games of choice, talisman is good too tho.
    I could see this being the same as warhammer quest though where if they wanted to add in the extra teams and even special figures I know I'd buy them ;)

7. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    It's pretty much a sure thing the rest of the teams are coming. Makes sense to get a stable port up and running first,mthen roll them out in batches. For one thing, all those extra art assets will bloat the filesize and starting off with a 300 MB app is a smart move. I had to delete Space Hulk while I waited for the first stability patch to arrive, and frankly I've not yet had enough free space to reinstall it.

Having a smaller roster of teams while learning how to play the game helps new players too. I don't think that was in any way a conscious design decision, but it's true anyway. Makes the learning curve slightly less steep, because you've got to learn the basic rules, and how to play against each rival team (let alone mastering your own).

I think they were up to something like 22(?) on the last PC edition. At $3 a pop, probably with some kind of bulk purchase offers, they'll make bank by importing the teams to the iPad edition. Like you, I'll probably spend way too mich money on them. Be easier to justify (though more expensive) doing so in stages.

Whatever, I briefly got to play the DS version back in 2009 and I've been waiting to play this full version of BB for five years. That's a long time to have platform envy, so they bring me the teams and they've got my money. It has been a long wait for me. Even going back 20 years, I barely got to play real Blood Bowl against a real person like five times ever, and don't get me started on how much that version cost me.

I love this digital boardgame future in which we live.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While I wish more board game producers would realize the viability of iPhone ports (just about ANY genre and game can be playable on smartphones, with smart enough UI design, and the inherently turn-based nature and contextual actions of most board games make them especially well-suited to visual compression), yeah, the digitalization of classics old and new from the board game catalogue of the last 20 years or so is perhaps one of the greatest new mobile gaming paradigms!

Now, I just need that pending Star Realms port, that upcoming digital Twilight Struggle iteration, a few LCGs (Netrunner and CoC), Arkham Horror with async, a multiplayer party version of WHQ, a digital revival of AT-43, with a sprinkling of Warmachines (and basically every other board/tabletop/war game I never had sufficient time or interest to play physically), and I'm all set :)

9. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    Thanks for posting this video, it has helped me a great deal to improve my game. The campaign mode is seriously massive, with great RPG elements in the levelling up system. Still a bit lost with all the stats etc. but not enough to degrade the great experience. 5+ stars now!

10. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Man I do love this game. So who would be up for a touch arcade league?

11. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Let me get a little better at the touch interface on the iPad... I'm down for that.

12. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    First time player and still learning the game, but I may be in for one as well.

13. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    That's the beauty of Blood Bowl. It's not about being great at it, it's about just surviving a league and the stories that come from it. Like a little gutter runner that made an amazing touchdown then got killed the very next turn. Or the level 5 black Orc that got tackled by a woodelf half way through the season and broke his neck! :)

14. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    Yes, Blood Bowl is XCOM football. It's not about winning or losing, success or failure, it's about the story you weave on the path to your final destination. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

15. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    When can you save??

I started a campaign and finished the game and then left and when I came back there is no file to load but when I played an exabition game and left in the middle it had a save to return to?

16. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland

Don't quote me on this, because I am new to this too, but after each 'campaign' match, hit the back arrow. You should have two options , save and continue , and save and quit. Seems to have worked for me, if a little archaic.

17. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    Exactly how I felt after my first level two Chaos Beast died horrible too a filthy dwarf. Gut wrenching , but worthwhile all the same!

18. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Boy. This guy didn't think much of this game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6AON9GmHQ4

19. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Ok thanks a bunch!!!!

Getting used to the Skaven lost against pretty boy wood elves and tied some orcs and my current match is against chaos and I've knocked three players out of the game.

Playing dirty is pretty sweet.

20. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow man that video made me laugh, he says he's played blood bowl before and yet it sounds like he has no clue about what's going on :confused:
    Also I find that app spy complain about IAP on any game that costs more than 69p,
    Blood bowl is obviously for people who know and love it and not for noob reviewers like him :p
    IMO it's a great game and the cost of it plus the expansions is still a great deal.