iPhone Blood Bowl by Focus Home Interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jul 31, 2014.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    just joking. but i can't concentrate on a game or working on a computer anywhere there are a lot of people milling around

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just thought I'd point out that you can hold your finger on the dice and you get a pop up telling you what they do/mean.

3. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    Ah! Thanks my tired old brain still gets confused with this.

4. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Nah you are just a pervert :)

5. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Yeah. These day a male who likes females is considered a pervert. And I used that line in other situations and it would get laughs.

Anyway, what about my original question. How does it play on the iPad? Is it irritating or fun? Does the touch interface get in the way?

6. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Also. this is cross-platform play. There are a few versions of BloodBowll on the PC (basic BB, Chaos edition, Legendary Edition). I wonder which version is is cross platform with? All of them?

7. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    #67 wicro, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    To this I would personally say it plays great on the ipad , how much it will irritate you is subjective, but without some effort to read the rules the game 'appears' frustrating.
    That being said a modicum of research into some of the deeper structures will certinaly easy this position. I am finding even on easy difficulty quite tough! At least for me this gives the game far more longevity than the 'normal' ipad offering, it is fair and often it's my own stupidity that costs me a game, a learning process if you will.

5 stars fom me, and thankfully it plays great on the ipad 2.

To the second question I have no idea, hopefully some one with more knowledge of the game can answer

8. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Omg I am getting so mad, someone help me lol. Every time I turn around bam I get knocked over or out or whatever and lose my turn. So if its not even your turn but one of your guys gets knocked over you lose the whole turn. It is so hard I am almost about to quit :(

9. wharfrat1979

wharfrat1979 Member

Jul 2, 2013
    I have a question about the cross platform. I have a budy who does not have an ipad. which platform should he get. he has an android tablet and computer. is this assynchornous or do i have to sit through a whole game?

10. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #70 Mack the Knife, Aug 1, 2014
    nevermind...

11. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    This is a deep, tactical game. You need to understand the rules and think ahead to do well. People have posted links in ths thread to the ruleset, i suggest you read those.

If you are too impatient to do that, and simply mash whatever move you see on impulse, you're going to have a bad time.

12. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I dont know what else to do I mean I cant even win an exhibition match or a campaign match. My guys drop the ball or get knocked over or just plain old trip over air and my turn is over. Next thing you know I am getting knocked down and scored on quickly.

13. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    Thanks wicro.

14. TokyoDan

Oct 7, 2010
    I know it available for Windows because I have it. Bought it on Steam. No OSX. Don't know about android. And I forget if it is async or not.

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #75 MrMojoRisin, Aug 1, 2014
    First of all, don't even go for winning at first. Just go for being able to do what you want with the ball or prevent the opponent from doing whatever they want. There are several things to keep in mind when doing that:

-This game is all about maximizing your chances. Surround the guys on the other team that you don't want to move with as many of your guys as you can, and there's at least a chance that one of them will tackle them when the opponent tries to move.

-Don't move any of your team members that have any opponents adjacent to them unless you HAVE to, and don't do ANY risky moves until you have made all the safe moves you want to that turn, since any failed action on your part is automatically a turnover.

-Each player has different skills and stats. Keep those in mind when using them. For example, make sure if you are throwing the ball to someone, that they have the "sure hands" ability if you can at all help it. Those are the guys that are meant to catch the ball. Just like your guys with high strength are meant to block or tackle.

One more thing. Use your blitz each turn. That allows one player to move AND attack that turn, when usually they can only do one or the other.

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Man thank you. I really want to like the game but wow when my guy just fumbles for no reason or trips and falls its like infuriating lol.

17. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    When you highlight a player, you will see how far they can safely move, and then there will be red circles (I think that's how they show it in this version) which they can move to, but every time you move into one of those spaces, you have to roll to see if you trip.

18. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Amenbrother, you just need to learn what actions can cause a turnover, and save those for last in your turn. Picking up the ball, passing the ball, blocking, moving through tackle zones, or "going for it" can all fail. But that's the game, managing and dealing with that risk is what makes it fun and fair. Once you know how to do it.

First, basic movement isn't going to cause a turnover. Those green squares you can move to? Utterly safe, nothing will happen. Players DO NOT trip, if they are going down then it's because you asked them to do something risky. Want to move up to two squares above your normal move? Well, that's "going for it", and it's slightly risky, as shown by the yellow square on the pitch. Only sprint when it's essential.

Moving through tackle zones is the most likely reason your players are tripping. The 8 squares around a player are tacklezones, and moving into them (one square) is safe, but moving out of them is dangerous. You'll see red squares on the pitch to let you know they are trying to tackle you. The other players aren't just going to let you run past them after all.

You can turn on overlays to show tacklezones, in fact the tutorial has you do this. The way to overcome tacklezones is to pushback or knockdown the opposing player. It's American Football, you get your tough guys to shove their dudes aside, hopefully making a path for your catcher or ball carrier to slip through without being tackled. Remember only one blitz happens per turn. Once you breach the wall and run through, they need to blitz your ball carrier, and will try to surround him first so they can block in the following turn too.

It's such a complex game I'd really advise you to watch some of TotalBiscuit's videos on YouTube. You kind of need to see the game in action played by someone who understands it, because there is a lot going on and TB gives good commentary. As well as his intro video he did some exhibition matches against people like AngryJoe, so there's plenty of study materials available. Get some snacks, watch a vid, come back to the game more ready to score some touchdowns.

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I appreciate it man!

20. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    It was linked to earlier in the thread, and on Pocket Tactics, but here's TB's video explaining the basics of Blood Bowl. It's an hour long so get comfy, but this'll be of great value if you are new to this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHSq3BR35JE