iPhone Blood Bowl by Focus Home Interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jul 31, 2014.

1. RamazUltra

RamazUltra Active Member

Jul 11, 2014
    The more and more I think about this game research it the more I want to buy it. I think I'm gonna get it.

2. afyzendo

afyzendo Member

Mar 18, 2009
    How long does a single game take? It looks like something that takes more than five minutes. Not that there is something wrong with that!

3. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

What's the installed size after downloading?

4. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Any word on the other playable teams from the PC version? Skaven are great but Goblins, Undead and the big chaos (nordish) humans are sorely absent.

5. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Oh hell yes, I've been wanting a port of this for sooo long (see my sig, gonna have to change that to someone please make an ios necromunda game!). I am all over this, will be spending on a few teams and I haven't downloaded it yet but if it supports leagues I'm definitely up for one of those!

I am very happy about this!!

6. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I knew this was coming but wasn't expecting it today! As a long time Bloodbowl fan this is a must buy! I've. Bought this game on so many platforms it's not funny anymore and now to have it for my iPad is a no brainer! It's one of those few board games that is fun to play no matter how many times you've played it!

7. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I initially thought this was a port of the amazing 1995 dos version, and got *very* excited, as I still have that game (and box and manual) in pristine condition and have nothing but fond memories of it.

I never tried the 2009 reboot. How is it (and this iPad version) compared to the original if anyone else has actually played both?

8. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I agree with everything you said except the last line. I hate consumables but will always gladly pay for persistent content; and this is a great way to start moving the needle back toward premium games.

Insta buy!

9. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
  10. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I tried to look this up on BGG and am still confused. Do I always want the exploding result, or do I want explosions when I'm attacking and skulls when I'm defending?

Awesome game, simply incredible and this coming from someone who isn't 100% certain of how to play yet and is not a fan of football.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Is there any video of this or did I just miss it?

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere

Way better!

In my opinion it is much better than the old original. And it is worth the asked price. :cool:

13. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
  14. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Being that I've played the Xbox and PC versions, I can say that each turn is roughly 3 minutes long. They are 16 turns. About 50 minutes a game.

I've been looking for this (or an equivalent) for over a year. Glad to see it come out, but hope Focus decides to add even more teams. I like playing the Chaos Dwarves and Nurgle teams on PC.

15. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Well I just lost the last four hours of my life to this game. Decided to try setting up a competition, the Imperial Invitational, and see how I would get on with Wood Elves. Thought I had chosen a knockout comp, actually turned out to be a group stage first.

Game 1, and I'm up against another Wood Elf team. The only difference being that I had a treeman, and they did not. I proceeded to play in a very... un-Elven manner shall we say, and pounded them into the dirt. Scored the first touchdown, but despite putting a third of their team into bandages they outplayed me due to me not yet being used to the chaining together of running and passing plays. Very open match, Elves cartwheeling through tackle zones and being graceful.

Game 2, and I'm up against Dwarfs. Who brought a steamroller. Again scored an early TD, outrunning the fat little buggers who waddle about looking all stupid. My god they are tough though, and when they get the ball they form a tight little pocket and just walk their fortress up the field daring me to try and break in to the ball carrier. They won easily.

Game 3, and it's Skaven. Dirty little game which was a constant running fistfight. I had to hire some mercenary replacements for this match due to casualties. Another loss, but I was starting to get the hang of Elven tactics by this point.

Game 4, and I'm up against Orcs. Three of my players have levelled up at this point, which means they get a new skill. Gave one of my catchers Sure Feet, so that when sprinting to "go for it" and get extra movment he could reroll if he fell over. I gave my treeman Piling On, which is great because if he knocks someone down he gets to reroll the dice to try amd injure them. More chances to cause injuries. Did I mention Elves secretly fight dirty? I also took along a wizard, whi when the ref wasn't looking used a fireball to fry two orcs. In the first half of the game there were more Orcs in the hospital than Elves, and we built up a 3 touchdown lead. They clawed one TD back, but it was our first victory in the competition.

So, verdict after 4 hours and 4 straight games is that this is fun as hell. Getting used to its little quirks now. All the teams have a ton of character, with animations unique to their race. They have their own cheerleaders dancing away at the side of the pitch, each unit type per race has their own touchdown celebration, and the commentary (despite getting repetitive) is sometimes hilarious and always entertaining. While you cannot customise individual players, you can choose the name of your team, logo, motto, and uniform colours. The levelling up gives a compelling reason to play a campaign or competition so you can grow your own star players, then feel the pain of loss as they later die from being kerbstomped by three Elves (because fouling is an option in this game, oh god yes).

It's good times this.

P.S. Buy rerolls. The dice are going to screw you over at the worst possible times, so rerolls are the biggest gamechanger.

16. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    ITS GOOD!

american football joke

17. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Good advice on the rerolls, this is Bloodbowl, if something bad can happen, it will! Seriously!

Whoever asked for advice on mechanics, you want to pick explosions when attacking, skulls if you get a chance to pick when defending.

18. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
  19. Sythys

Sythys Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    You always want explosions. When on defense, you want the attacker down or stumble. This will cause a turnover and it's your turn. One thing I sometimes (still) get confuse is the "defender stumbles" and "defender falls" symbol. The exclamation point is the stumble symbol and is not as good as just the explosion. The best result is the attacker down result on defense.

I have had one instance where a "both down" result (skull and explosion) was beneficial. The
    Defender had the dodge skill and I really had nothing to counter it. On two dice roll I had a both down and a push back result. I took the both down result. We both fell... But I was just down. The defender broke his armor and was severely injured, coughing up the ball and was out the rest of the game!

I love this game.

20. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Here is a link to the official rules. Dice Roll results from blocks are on page 10.

edit to add link: http://www.bloodbowlonline.com/LivingRulebook5.pdf