Universal Blon (by Plug In Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Anotherkellydown, Sep 7, 2021.

1. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I was wondering about the roguelike feature as well. Was going to tell @Echoseven to stay away from Hades, which for me at the moment may be my favorite game of all time. That is the point of these games. You won’t be and shouldn’t be able to beat the boss (certainly not the boss on hell level) without upgrading your character sufficiently. I love roguelikes for some reason. Hades, Deadcells and Rogue Legacy are among my favorite. And I’m loving this style being infused into other style games. Like the recent Dungeons and Miners and now Blon.
    Sorry you are not enjoying it as much. I have been very enthusiastic in here about it. Just having so much fun and figured most were staying away because it’s “just another runner” which to me it’s not. It’s the evolution of “the runner”.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I LOVE roguelikes (and roguelites, which this is). And I enjoy endless runners.

@elcrazy, the expectation that I shouldn’t be able to beat the boss without upgrades is exactly where it falls apart for me. With a (good) roguelite, I know that I COULD finish the game without a single upgrade, if only I was good enough. Here? No way.

That’s what feels so artificial to me. Why do I need to upgrade my character? To defeat the final boss before the time runs out. Okay, but why are the boss fights timed? To encourage the upgrade system, of course!

It’s entirely circular and doesn’t feel based on my skill, instead imposing some arbitrary limit.

But I’ve said enough; I’m going to bow out and let y’all enjoy a clearly well made game in peace. :)

(as a side note, I’m mildly offended at y’all dissing my roguelite/roguelike chops :p. Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Into the Breach, Hoplite, Slay the Spire, etc. are some of my favourite games of all time. I know that Hades will be as well, when I have the time to sit down and binge it.

Hell, I just finished the entirety of Death’s Door with a weapon which imposes a permanent 50% damage reduction on your character. Because I could and there was an achievement for it!)

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Dude, you don’t have to justify not liking it. :p It’s fine. We’ll live.

elcrazy and Echoseven like this.
  4. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    I think you are right in some aspect. I know there are Hades players that have beaten it in one run with no upgrades (not sure how the hell that’s possible lol). That being said that’s on regular. Like this game you can beat normal difficulty without upgrades but Hell difficulty I’m sure you can’t. And I think this is fair. At least it is the games design and I for one like it. I want to fail and feel stronger. But I get what you are saying. You’re wrong but I get it lol :).
    Hope you weren’t actually offended. Never my intention. Was just messing around.
    Stop playing everything else and correct your Hades issue. That is the best goddamn game ever. I played that game like crazy. Beat it with everything. Leveled everything. Beat on multiple heat levels etc. And I never do that. Don’t think I have ever finished a gta game lol. Just end up killing everything halfway through story. Hades was special though. The setup between runs was sometimes as fun as a run. So goooooood. You will love it. (I can discuss Hades in here because I also praise Blon lol).

5. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Anybody know what the little spaceships are beside the two difficulties ? I keep getting them. Sometimes they go away. No clue what they are. Here a pic with and without.

Attached Files:

6. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Been trying to remember an old runner I loved on iOS. I remember fondly the developer was always in the forum asking people what they wanted. Everyone put in ideas. It was so fun. Got a bit muddled near the end. And now unfortunately been dead for ages. But just like that the name came to me. The old schoolers in here will 1000% remember this…..

Attached Files:

metalcasket likes this.
  7. decript

decript Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    BC, Canada
    Rogue runner was awesome hell yeah.

Y'all got good gaming taste. I’m really digging this game. I get bored so quickly of runners where there’s no progression and it’s just high-score chasing.

I can see a little where Echo Seven is coming from with the timed boss fights. I just wanted to say that I admire your curiosity in seeking to understand why a good game isn’t jiving with you and the very civil impassioned discussion that followed. Reminds me why I love this place. Faith in humanity restored +0.05%

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Had you not added a screenshot, I would have never remembered this was a thing!

elcrazy likes this.
  9. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    I am still loving every second of this. Super addicted like the old days of runnin. Done sooo much but sooo much still to do and unlock. Love how powerful I feel now on the basic levels or early ones. Love that I still have so much upgrading to do and stuff to unlock through arcade hell and hard. Unlocked a bunch on all of those already but such more to go. The replayability here is unreal.