Universal Blocky Farm (by Jet Toast)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Kefo

Kefo Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I'm just not seeing why the game is getting the gushing praise.

30 seconds in and it already feels like a rip off of hay day. I got to the tutorial part where it forces you to watch a video ad and just closed the app.

Maybe it opens up later on in the mid game but I don't need a voxel based hay day with wait timers and IAP.

2. rsgapps

rsgapps Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I played the game since beta stage and I can tell you all that comparisons are unfortunate.

Devs never advertised the game as starved valley for mobile, or new better hay day. The game has some elements from both games but it's a totally different game. You have to play couple more sessions to see all those interactions with your farm, pets, etc. There is even arcade aspect in the game when you drive your tractor.

Think about Counter Strike and Call of Duty. If you play them for 5 minutes you can say that these are two identical games, but they aren't if you play them for a longer time.

3. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    forced ads?

4. rsgapps

rsgapps Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    AFAIK ads are optional. You get reward id you watch video ad.
    But unfortunately one is not so optional as others xD. I mean you have a quest, where you have to spin the wheel, and to do this you have to watch an ad.

5. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Blocky Farm (by Jet Toast)

Well played guys! Not installing!

6. Calm

Calm Member

Sep 18, 2017
    How come? There are no forced ads. All quests are skippable AFAIK. I don't know what that other guy is talking about.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I’m glad I’m not the only one. I really was exited with all the brouhaha on the front page, but I’m brought back to my days playing FarmVille, we farm/We Rule and so on - the timers, the coming back every little while to watch ads...

Am I missing something? I just don’t know.

And for anyone comparing this to Stardew/Harvest Moon. Haha. No. Not even remotely.

8. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Odd, just opened the game and there was a 'special' discount for a starters package and the sale price was slashed to " $.03 " so I just had to try it since I didn't realize the App Store (US) would allow anything under $.99 and when the confirmation popped up it was asking for $2.99 ........

9. OrangeKnickers

OrangeKnickers Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Agreed, if this is the closest we get to Stardew Valley on mobile that is pretty sad. It‘s not doing the game any favor, since I was highly disappointed by it, while I might have enjoyed it had the expectations been more realistic.

The voxel graphics are adorable though :)

10. Ailuue

Ailuue Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Wow, you guys really don't understand app development

I'm just going to put three main points here:

1) You "have" to watch some ads so the developer makes 3 cents. Stop being whiny babies who don't understand an economy.

2) This is basically Hay Day, HOWEVER, they got rid of so much of the gotcha crap, like berry trees that die and force you to spend diamonds to cut them down.

3) This has WAAAYYY more activities than Hay Day or Farmville, so if you like the farm sim, this IS the game for you. If you don't, it's not.

The game is great. Now I just have to figure out why my game no longer LETS me watch ads... it always says "No ads available right now. Try again later :)" Anyone else have this issue?

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Listen, if you make a game that is essentially the same as any other standard timer oriented farm game, expect that to be discussed.

This is a fine game for the style, but it still feels so empty and vacuous with little to do but wait on timers.

Honestly, what real measurable difference is this from a standard genre game? The timers increase. There’s a secondary currency to speed up said timers. The game consists of growing stuff to sell stuff to buy stuff that will take time to do. There’s minimal/no interaction and things like the tractor take so much money to buy that when it unlocks, you end up having to make some annoying choices.

I always feel like I’m hamstringed from the next step by timers. Which just harkens back to the days of FTP farming games.

And I appreciate devs need to make money. I’d be an ass if I didn’t. However, I also appreciate there being some there there. And there’s really not much.

I also don’t know if I can really clearly articulate why I don’t feel that way about games like animal crossing and Stardew, other than they offer so much more to do with relationships, activities and so on. This you’re basically a god controlling the stuff that grows and sells.

I might give it a bit more time but it really just seems to scratch the “do basic tasks get basic rewards” itch I have

12. Digibear

Digibear Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Weird bug. My bakery just stopped making stuff. It has items queued but it's not producing

13. afisch

afisch New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Had the same issue, restarting the app solved it...

14. Digibear

Jun 25, 2012
    Thank you! Enjoying it so far. Just started repairing the tractor.

15. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Well Stardew was essentially an RPG with a farming mini-game. The world doesn’t need another Hay Day...it didn’t need the original.

16. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Actually I think the tractor feature is the most different point to the Hayday, it should let people try a few times in the beginning.

The feature unlocked in midgame, but some players delete the game before that and think “it is just another Hayday”, which is sad.

BTW I found “watch a ad to 2x the reward” is broken, you got same reward after you watch a ad.

17. Digibear

Jun 25, 2012
    Anyone else having trouble connecting? It keeps showing me offline but I'm online.

18. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #58 Lull4by, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Same here.

edit: it’s online now.

19. rein

rein Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    I tried to like it. It's cute and I can see potential fun but even though the ads are not forced for the most part I felt like they are everywhere. I also felt very limited when it came to setting up the farm due to obstacles. I get it, I know I will eventually be able to remove them, it felt too limiting out of the gate for my taste though. I hope others enjoy it more than I did.

20. Digibear

Jun 25, 2012
    #60 Digibear, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Now it keeps giving me random "unable to load your farm". It gave me it a few times yesterday but eventually it worked.

Apparently it's T-Mobile LTE. If I turn off LTE it works fine.