Blocked is #2 app.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Feb 9, 2009.

1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Blocked is the #2 app, just above iShoot. It's a $0.99 version of parking lot. Move the blocks to get to the exit.

The game came out in September
    http://appshopper.com/games/blocked

no updates. no price changes since. No press to speak of. ah, but it is featured by Apple as a "staff favorite".

And it has climbed it's way to #2. It first appeared on the top 100 list 6 days ago. At position 92, and has jumped up since. 92->64->32->15->6->2

arn

2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    That's awesome, it's really a great app. A favorite of mine, for sure :)

3. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    so does it deserve the success?

4. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    And I was an early adopter.

I loved this game when it came out and I actually beat it. I am glad to see a quality game earn that high of a spot.

5. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    The crazy thing is that the "Staff Favorites" section does not appear in the iPhone version of the store, and thus generally does not help as much as the What's New and What's Hot section.

I guess that Blocked/Rush Hour is such a well-known game, that just about everyone who sees it in that section will buy it.

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Funny, this was one of the first apps I bought, and back then it had no recognition whatsoever.

7. tiptopworkshop

Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks for the support, guys.

A month or so ago I had almost forgotten about the game and now it's hovering steady around the number 2 spot. I don't really know why it started climbing after months of languish, but I suspect it was just a good combination of new post-Christmas iPhones, good reviews, and most importantly, placement on the Staff Favorites section. I'm pretty fortunate, and thanks for getting the word out on this (and other) forums over the last few months.

-Joel

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    http://www.macheist.com/
    One of the puzzles in the 1-2-3 lockbox problems was very similar to Blocked.
    I mentioned it in a thread somewhere in their forums along with the online location. Probably not connected but if it gets a few sales that can only be excellent.

9. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Hmm, in the app description I went to the site it tells you to, the one with solution. But I can't use that :(
    Does anyone know of a site where I can find the solutions?

Nice game by the way! You said you had forgotten about it so I bet you got a nice surprise when you looked at the sales figures one day :)

10. tiptopworkshop

Feb 10, 2009
    I don't post solutions publicly (I think working on a level in frustration for a week is half the fun!) But if you send an email to [email protected] requesting help for a specific level, I can give you a hint.

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Congrats, Joel! Hope you can stay on top for a good while!

12. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Hmm, okay will do that once I see if people at college can do it :)