Universal Block Havoc (By Dodo Built)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dodo Built, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Dodo Built

Dodo Built Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Toronto ON, Canada
    We'll definitely tweak around with the current modes, and experiment with some new ones, as we're really hoping we'll be able to reach a bigger audience, even with the insanity of this game. And lol true, I guess a naming scheme more like Super Hexagon's would be a lot more accurate.
    We have a small update coming out (hopefully) today to make easy and normal a bit more reasonable, but we'll definitely work on this stuff for future updates.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The more I play this the more that I see this is like learning to play SH all over again. Once you give it a little more time and patience (like SH) it starts to be a blast. I am constantly beating my records. The difficulty is not really as bad as I initially thought. It's probably just as hard as Super Hexagon or perhaps just a bit more difficult.

PRO TIP: Try playing the hardest level for a bit and then go back to the easiest level. It will almost feel as if the level is slow motion. That switch over will make things a lot easier.

3. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    #23 modus_ataraxia, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    So far, impressions of this game are very good. I'm definitely enjoying the differences between Block Havoc and other games of this type, since it's fresh enough with it's gameplay to have it's own clear identity. The music is somber, and gives me a feeling of inevitability, instead of pulsing electronica. I like it. It has a mood to it that's excellent.

I disagree with the idea that it is too punishing or unfair. I had Easy mode completed in a little over an hour, and it took longer with other games. It's more pattern-based, which clicks with me more. Hovering at around 300-350 on Normal as of now. The only obstacle that I feel could use some work is the circle that changes mid-screen into a split of two semi-circles. I always feel that it's reactionary trial and error, instead of me not recognizing the pattern. Gets me about half the time. I don't feel like I'm beating it, just getting lucky.

This is good. It'll be a staple on my device for a long time.

http://imgur.com/bKS1C8R

4. Dodo Built

Dodo Built Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Toronto ON, Canada
    Great to hear you guys are enjoying it! This forum remains to be the only real place we're getting much love for the game.

And good to know the circle to two semi-circles pattern is causing problems, I'll make the split start a bit further out in the next update so there's a more reasonable amount of time to react.

Thanks for the kind words!

5. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    #25 curi, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    FWIW my impression is the circle that splits into 4 parts is harder than the one that splits into 2 semicircles.

i'm not convinced either one needs to be easier though. yeah the timing can be pretty tight but it's good to have hard parts.

personally i feel like i'm making progress when i play, not stuck at all. i just came back after a break and increased 3 high scores. and i got several 400+ scores on Normal tonight. just need to play it more and 1000 seems doable. there's nothing in particular that seems unfair on Normal, and no particular thing(s) i always die on. it's just kinda fast and hard. i most often die on the transition from one pattern to the next, which i figure is normal, no big deal.

i also second the tip of playing a harder mode then coming back.

one other thing i wanted to say: on the pattern with 4 individual blocks coming from different sides, i hold still for it (just offset my circles at a little angle to the first block, then stop moving). my friend spins it and i saw spinning through it in the demo video. i'm guessing spinning is intended. i think on Easy mode, holding still is definitely easier. but once you move up and the game is more disorientating, i'm not sure and have been trying to decide if i should learn how to spin through them. i figure spinning could help me keep a rhythm going better. when i do try to spin them, i usually can do the initial spin ok but then don't know when to stop spinning and die from letting go at a bad place or just holding spin until i hit something.

6. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    yayyyyyyyyyyy i got 1040 on Normal. unlocked color mode which is pretty neat.

tried Hard some more. still have no clue how to deal with some of the new patterns.

7. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    I recorded a gameplay video. this one is just 617 points on Easy which should help people get started and see how the game works. it also shows my personal technique of staying still on the 4 individual blocks coming from different sides pattern (you can also do a spin on that pattern).

if anyone is having trouble getting started on Easy, check out the video to see what it looks like when you're more experienced. you can compare it to how you handle the patterns and maybe figure out something to adjust. videos are also useful because you can set it to slow motion or pause to see what's going on more clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifr6gI6pihk

i may do a blog post with some more videos and some advanced tips. i also want to record some of my gameplay on Hard before i'm good at it so that people can see what it's like when you're still learning. even for a really good player, it's normal to die a ton before you figure it out!

8. Dodo Built

Dodo Built Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Toronto ON, Canada
    Nice! Starting to dominate all the leaderboards I see. And thanks for that video, would definitely help new players understand how to survive the patterns

9. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014
    I made another gameplay video. I played hard for a while, then normal (get some scores around 500), then hard and get a high score of 218. this is after a break for several months so i'm rusty.

i'm one of the 3 people with a score over 1000 on Normal.

In the video i talk about my strategies for the game and for learning. there's a bunch of commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfb09Qa46Y

10. curi

curi Active Member

Mar 12, 2014