Block Fortress: Empires

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shykeryso

Shykeryso Active Member

Apr 17, 2015
    That was one of my first thoughts after I read the description of the game, and I'm a little worried about that.

All exploits or precise strategies that make a level/base invulnerable would have to be accounted for. Many Foursaken games (that I've played), throughout their lifetime, have or have had at least one game-breaking exploit.

BF1: Using the gravity gun to constantly shoot your base while it's in a completely-surrounded crevasse (on a mountainous terrain), and then cleaning up the floating enemies with the Heavy Plasma.
    Adventure Company: If you have multiple Apprentices in an endless level, then you can use their 'Mana Recharge' ability every few seconds, and then quickly raise an army with the Dark Wizard's 'Raise Skeleton' ability. You can do this until your game has so many skeletons, it becomes a lag fest.
    BF:War: There was an early exploit where you could use iCloud to buy everything, once you got your minerals to a certain amount (fixed). Also, the Alpha's 'High Yield' ability could be stacked multiple times if the 'ability points' item was used all at once (nerfed).
    Bug Heroes 2: Originally, there was no population cap, so you could summon as many units as you wanted until, again, lag fest (fixed).
    H&C1: With wraiths, you can beat siege mode in like 5 minutes, more or less.
    Noblemen: Changing your device's time in the settings to instantly claim supply convoys (might have been fixed, but this occurred in both stages of beta)

These ones aren't really exploits, but they are really op:

Phantom Rift: With the 'revive III' orb, you could infinitely stack revives in endless mode, or any other fight, to stay alive forever (so long as you keep using revives).
    NYZ2: Often times on many levels, you could back into a corner and set bear traps all around you, and take out stronger, ranged, or flying enemies while moving slightly to dodge ranged attacks. Like on the first level, where you could easily grind by just setting some traps down at the entrance to a room you're in and wait for the level to end. Also, (if I'm remembering correctly) you could just run around slower enemies (basically the ones that don't run) until they make a big circle, and then just throw a Molotov in the middle of the horde every so often.
    Lastly, in H&C2: The knight's 'Juggernaut' ability can arguably get the human knight farther in arena mode than any other combo of class and race.

So yeah... if this game is going to have a greater emphasis on a multiplayer mode, then it's crucial that they don't let exploits/imbalances like these get in the way, since some players are going to try to protect their bases at all costs.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What's the code? Hook me up!

3. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    It's on their facebook page! I just got on

4. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I kneel before your Foursaken wisdom.

What about exploits for Sky Gnomes and Mad Chef?!?! :p

The BF ones are interesting... I like to build my base in the deep holes, thibk its the islands map... i also like the mountainous levels and burying motion sensors as best as i can around map so weapons can get them...

I hope for some caves in a future BF game... I think like the underwater ones it adds a whole new element.

5. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

In all fairness, the iPhone 5 is now almost 5 generations old... unfortunately its just not strong enough to run high end graphics anymore. BFE however will have highly scalable graphics, so it should run on an iPhone 5 just fine. Technically speaking, at its worst, it should only require slightly higher device requirements than the original.

I mean, I hope you take each game on its own merits. We haven't released a free game yet that has any paywalls, any energy, or pretty much any of the other hardcore F2P elements in it - though that has definitely been to our detriment. We certainly could've done much better for ourselves had we simply abandoned our philosophy and tried to make as much money as possible. Right now - whether its free or paid - we try to make awesome games first and foremost, and then we're trying to be as fair as possible when it comes to everything else. And while it may not mean much to some, we're proud that we're able to release free games like War Tortoise and Noblemen that have 5 star averages across thousands of reviews on the App Store - a rarity on the Free charts - and I think a testament to the fact that we do try to be as fair as possible.

We're also willing to admit when we get things wrong, and always constantly work to improve our games immediately after launch.

The reality is, as much as we absolutely love and appreciate every single one of them, Foursaken Fans aren't enough to keep us afloat on their own.

As for BFE, the biggest hurdle with making it premium is it being a 100% multiplayer game... the only way to get a large user base and make a multiplayer system actually work is to be free. As much as those who hate all F2P may think otherwise, there are often many other factors besides "being greedy" for why developers may need to make a game free.

Unfortunately, being a multiplayer focused game, BFE will require an online connection. I think prior to this one ALL of our games have been offline, so hopefully players know that we wouldn't make it online unless we had to. We actually spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out alternate methods around this, but it ended up always creating more problems that it solved, for this type of game at least.

Re: exploits - the difference with those other games mentioned is that they weren't first and foremost competitive multiplayer games... we couldn't afford to spend months on balance that wasn't central to the primary game. And of course as we found them, we fixed them.

Now, with BFE, its different. We plan on having a lengthy beta and Soft Launch period to iron out as many issues as possible. But no one catches everything the first time around, so I fully expect us to find issues even after launch - the important part is that we quickly get rid of them.

6. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Awesome, the original is one of my favourite games of all time.

7. jdawg101

jdawg101 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2015
    When the beta is ready I would like to be in it to see what this new entry in the block fortress series is like.

8. Albeolupus

Albeolupus Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2014
    I, for one, am confident the bothers will do it right. I am not at all concerned about them being greedy. They are a business and need to make money but they are and always have been good to the players.

In many similar games where you raid other players, you are taking their resources. Because of this one may feel they need to spend money to compete so they can save their resources and take from others. In this game it seems spending money will help you progress faster but will not in any way be required.

9. Sgt. Steakfries

May 5, 2017
    Soooo, how is the progress going? Is it like 95% done or something?

10. Sgt. Steakfries

May 5, 2017
    Hello?

Anyone?? :confused:

I’m lonely.... :(

11. Jinxtah

Jinxtah Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2017
    Will it support mfi Controllers?

12. Foursaken_Tom

Foursaken_Tom Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Here's some new screens for anyone here who's interested:

The first is a pic of me hanging out poolside in my home base on an asteroid! You can see the shield and main door in the background. Outside that door is where you build your defenses.

The second is an example of the new-look turrets in BFE. This one is a Blaster Turret (similar to the Plasma Turret in previous versions of BF).

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Eeagle074 and rezn like this.
  13. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Wow looks awesome! Keep up the good work. Do y'all know about how much more is needed for the game to be done?

14. Foursaken_Tom

Foursaken_Tom Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    If everything goes smoothly, we might be able to enter beta by the end of this year (but don't hold me to that - there's still a lot to do).

15. FoxyAK

FoxyAK New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    #35 FoxyAK, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    is this going to go on android anytime soon or is it ipad?

16. FoxyAK

FoxyAK New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    hi i was wondering if you guys will bring back the play styles of BFW in BF:E i love the play styles in BFW :)
    if not will you guys atlest update BFW or did you guys stop working on it cuz it havent been updated in a long time

17. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Any updates guys? I need a new foursaken game!

18. Attilaberes

Attilaberes New Member

May 23, 2018
    Wow, this looks great! Nice detail and textures on the turret too.

I'm just progressing through BFW and am having a blast. It's pleasantly Starcrafty with respect to how the races have been designed. The strategy and game mechanics, as in your other games, are completely unique and provide new, exciting strategies. Unfortunately, I've never liked Minecraft and blocky graphics, so the graphics don't appeal to me personally (my preference would be BH2 or HC2), but I can imagine the blocky graphics will make most people even more madly fall in love with the game.
    I've tried BF too and it wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer a high-magic, fantasy environment with tons of spellcasting, special spell effects and lots of spell strategy involved (like in Wands on Gear VR, but with the level of destruction in Diablo 2). Rise Of Legends is a strategy game with the perfect combination of spellcasting, steampunk and Protoss-like races that had everything I am looking for, while omitting the, to me personally, unappealing modern warfare part.
    Anyways, the controls in BF weren't to my liking and caused me a lot of frustration. Moving around, jumping, especially turning, shooting and aiming didn't feel smooth to me at all. Maybe with the BH2 kind of auto aim and auto attack triggers it would have been better. If it could handle like PUBG, that'd be the kind of experience I'm looking for. I hope in Empires the player controls will be similar to BH2 and PUBG. I really look forward to playing another genius game from your awesome team.

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Hey guys... sorry for the lack of news lately, but make no mistake we've been working hard and making major progress on BFE! We had to switch over our servers recently, which took a bit of time out of the ordinary game development, but we're back on track and will be pushing hard to get beta out in a few more weeks!

As soon as we're ready, we'll likely solicit beta testers from right here, as well as our Discord channel... we can't wait!

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#40 Foursaken_Media, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Hey again... its been a while but we're finally getting cooking... we're just opening up beta and would love for anyone interested in signing up here! https://goo.gl/forms/bpVmPdDTC3oH3adG3

Alternatively you can email us at [email protected] with your device and OS - thanks in advance!