Universal Block Fortress - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Boy, it's gonna be a loooooooong 30 minutes. :D

2. LegACy99

LegACy99 Active Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Looks interesting!
    Will definitely check it out!

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

I feel like I am playing an "idea" more so than a game here, one that might sound great on paper but in practice just feels like much less than the sum of its parts. There are much better tower defense games. Much better first person shooters. And it is no Minecraft. Slapping the three together into one whole only seems like it's destined to leave fans of each genre dissatisfied. Yes it's a cool idea, and yes it's intriguing at first, but in the end I just don't see myself feeling compelled to return to it for any reason.

4. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Are there any other 3d tower defence games on the AppStore? I've only seen top down ones...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There are, but I can't remember any names. They're still just your basic "insert turret in random places" affairs though, this is the first I've seen when you actually get to construct a base to your own design specifications.

6. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Would you guys please stop clicking the link to the US iTunes Store for Block fortress... You are bring the iTunes Store to a crawl ;).

7. Leadfoot5

Leadfoot5 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Dang... Reading those two mini-reviews in succession is a head scratcher... Keep the impressions coming everyone!!

8. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
  9. Cheeseball

Cheeseball Active Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Product Trainer
    United States
    Ooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

:d

10. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Yea.. Just bought it.. Downloading... I'm excited :)

11. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Bought. Looking forward to this. Thanks, Foursaken!

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I agree there are better TDs and FPS games out there, but they don't offer this experience. Nothing does, really. If you want to play either of those two genres with a truckload of creativity and extra strategy thrown on top this is your only option right now.

13. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    The thing is idk how to play cus I have no idea from where the enemy will exactly come from. If I knew id build like a path of some sort and post turrets on em. But for now I have no clue what to do ._. . This is why a upload/download feature would be great so ppl can see examples

14. shimmy83

shimmy83 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    #114 shimmy83, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    There a link for it? When I search it says not found
    Oops nevermind, clicked on the name at the front.... Still isn't loading however

15. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I will say because of the freeform nature of the game, it actually might take longer to "figure things out" and really get into the game. Personally, I think the game is set up in a way so that it becomes MORE intriguing the more you play, as you start to figure things out, test out different base layouts, and figure out new ways to play. Its actually really interesting for us to see the progression of peoples' bases from their first game, to their 5th or 6th... it usually starts with something like a few turrets placed on the grass, with a little wall segment here and there, and ends up actually starting to resemble a well put together base :p

In the end, the game will only be as good as you make it, tbh. You can scatter turrets randomly around the map, build weird, random clusters of blocks, and proceed to wonder why what you built doesn't help you much... but then again, that's part of the beauty of the game, imo. As you start to learn the subtleties of the game, such as the different ways your turrets' firing arcs change based on how you place them on a block (on top, sides, on the bottoms, etc), to how you start playing with height, giving your turrets a range bonus, to how to best layout your walls, things really start to "click."

16. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Did you notice the "enemy indicator" in the upper left marking from which direction they will come from? This allows you to fortify one side of your base at a time in the early rounds.

Also, think more as if you were fortifying your base and defending it, rather than creating some kind of arbitrary turret path like you do in a traditional TD.

17. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    I have $1.99 left on my account. There is this and sonic dash that caught my eye. What should I get? If I get sonic, can I get a promo code for this in 2 weeks?

18. shimmy83

shimmy83 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Washington D.C.
    #118 shimmy83, Mar 7, 2013
    Damn, link isn't taking me to the game

EDIT: anyone?

EDIT 2: lol, I'm just impatient and exited. It's working for me now

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Rated 5 stars before even playing.... :p

20. xRevenantx

xRevenantx Member

Mar 7, 2013
    #120 xRevenantx, Mar 7, 2013
    T_T app won't show on my App Store list.... Give it to me... Give it to me now!

EDIT: Aha! Found via looking at developers info. :D