Universal Block Fortress - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 6, 2013.

1. noshadowkick

noshadowkick Active Member

Feb 15, 2013
    #41 noshadowkick, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Random question for curiosities sake: How long has this game been in development? Did you guys build your own engine? Also, will the game have the option to listen to iPod playlists during play like H&C? I'm a music nerd and I the ability to listen to new music while playing has probably doubled the hours I've logged with H&C.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Thanks for that, I was sure the game would be brilliant (I'm still playing heroes and castles) but just wanted some more details.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #43 Ayjona, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    That sounds like... quite something. Awe-something.

Throw in some communal features to boot (rating of and comments on maps, favourite maps and users, top lists, etc), and you might have a self-reinvigorating persistent success on your hands, Quake 1 mod-style.

Also, perhaps you should add your comment on the upcoming upload/download system in the App Store description, just to make this already juicy package even more compelling. Unlike some developers, Foursaken always delivers on its promises, meaning that a mention of upcoming features in the App description is not out of place.

Yo dawg, we heard you like Savage 1/2, so we put a Savage in your Block Fortress so that you can command while you block and fortify?

You just put forth one of the very few multiplayer experiences that could rival that mythical Bug Heroes MOBA. I will personally throw quite a lot of money at you guys to realize all of the multiplayer modes mentioned in your post, whether it be through tip jars or having to unlock multiplayer through IAP.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yep, we're definitely shooting for a nice in-game browser, with upvoting, screenshot previews, and several ways to sort (download #s, most upvoted base, search by name, etc).

And YES - a few of us played both Savage 1 and 2 to death! Huge fans :)

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Just take my money now!!!!!!!

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
  7. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Thanks for the vid! Haha, looks like you didn't tap to view any of the tutorials as they popped up at first, so you missed out on some important, step by step info (like building mines) - probably our bad for not making them more obvious >_<

For new players, make sure to tap the "!" icons on the left as they appear for important instructions and tips to get you started!

8. I'd say "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" if it weren't already in your wallet

Looking forward to play this later :D

9. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Hurry up 11pm

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Roll on midnight - this looks great! Are all the materials and items available to use in sandbox mode? It's the building aspect of the game that appeals to me most.

11. Ted1234

Ted1234 Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Game Impressions

Havent even lots my addiction for heroes and castles yet there is another game looking even more addictive..

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    These two statements seem to contradict. Is it that Foursaken Media has a server able to host however many 30mb files any user sees fit to upload? ...or is there a map data compression system? Also, the download of maps sounds amazing but 30mb each might be cumbersome for some. Looking forward to the release tonight.

13. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

No, I mean 30 megabytes is what an average profile might look like, with several game saves, and a bunch of saved fortresses, not 30 megs per fortress (I think its about 3 megs per fortress) :p

And yes, we are using our own servers for map upload/download, but that is something that we can control, not every player will use it, and it won't be saving/uploading to the server very often (with an iCloud type system, it would be doing it every round, at every menu screen, etc)... basically because of some technical underpinnings its not as easy as it may seem to just host our own iCloud type service for every player, especially when we don't know how big the user base will be yet...

That being said, what we'll probably do once our servers are up, is use iCloud to transfer your basic game profile, i.e. your character's level, your mods, and your resources. And then you could download your fortresses that you wanted to use, on a per fortress basis.

It probably sounds a bit confusing, but trust me, we're doing everything we can to figure out as elegant a solution as we can...

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Call me one of the very few that could not get into MineCraft, how is this different? Love TD games, think I will enjoy this one?

15. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    What's the total file size after installing?

16. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    It's a good game. I just need to learn how to play it.

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

The only thing similar with Minecraft really is the type of creative freedom to build many different things, and they both use blocks :p Other than that, Block Fortress has an explicit game to it, and is structured much more like a TD. That being said, it is more freeform, so it also takes a bit more thought, planning, and strategy than a typical TD.

Did you read all the tutorial and the help tips? You can check them out in game if you missed them by pausing, and tapping the "?" icon on the right.

18. ShadowCube

ShadowCube Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Total file size after installing: 199mb

Well I played this for about an hour last night, and said I would make a mini review/impression. The game Block Fortress reminded me of the legendary builder 'Block Fortress' from minecraft, where a game with unlimited building potential, mixed with firearms. There are three modes to play in a sandbox(unlimited resources), quickstart(Start with a lot of resources and thrown into a quick game) and survival(Basically survive and collect resources) all of which are fun with there own rules. The game starts off slow and begins to hype the difficulty quite quickly. You start with a pistol and basic turrents. Yeah unlimited turrents no you have a price on them, to gain money you must kill the enemies and pick up there drops.

I kinda rushed it as I have school, bottom line: If you love H&C, the tower defense genre or love minecraft, then why are you reading this buy the god damn game

19. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thanks for the information Shadowcube.