Universal Block Fortress - (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    My wife is geek like me... She'd end up kicking my butt at it, and my 8 year old loves shooters, tower defense games and Minecraft styled games so when I showed him this it was like telling a kid you could put chocolate, peanut butter and jelly together for the first time seeing three awesome things he likes combine like Voltron to make an awesomer (yes, know awesomer is not a word, hehe) one!

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    HELL YES BABY

Roll on, midnight!! Insta-freaking-buy!!

3. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Hurry up midnight!!!

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I always love Foursaken's price points. Decent price, unnecessary IAP and games that rock. I hope Foursaken makes some good cash out of the good things they have given us.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Was I, just the other week, complaining that the App Store had been dull and uneventful ever since Christmas?

What a douche.

Back in the days of trying to badger and hound (and other animalistic metaphors) Foursaken into making us a MOBA of Bug Heroes, I would not have had any hopes for multiplayer, but after seeing different forms of online player interaction in Sky Gnomes, N.Y. Zombies 2 and Heroes & Castles, I cannot help but to hope for co-op and even PvP in Block Fortress. It seems perhaps an even MORE natural fit than any of the others.

Also, now that the last of the known upcoming Foursaken titles has arrived to give rise to 5-star ratings and all kinds of hormones and human chemicals, estrogen, prolactin, and oxytocin...

Might there be any news for the little buggers inside us all? ;)

6. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    I haven't read through the upcoming thread of this game but, is there a way to save maps you've made? Also I was wondering if you could somehow upload maps to a server and let other people download maps you've created; that would be beyond awesome.

7. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
  8. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Now we just need a gameplay trailer!!! ;) ;)

9. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

As most people know about us (I hope), we'll be sticking to this thread all day and night, so any issues, suggestions, and feedback will be very well taken.

Yes, you can save your maps. In fact, we have a very liberal save system. In survival mode you can save one game for every round if you want (since your base changes every round, and you might mess up and want to go back a few rounds or whatever), or save at any time during a build phase. You can save your base in casual mode to your hearts content. In Quick Play mode, you can again, save any time in the build phase (which only takes place in the beginning of the game, mind you - in that mode you build your base up front, then last as long as possible as a ground soldier).

As for the other question, glad you brought it up, and I want to make sure everyone is aware! We've been working full steam on an upload/download system that should come in an update very soon after launch :) Pretty self explanatory - you'll be able to download any map and play or edit it.

Finally, as for multiplayer... we are very interested in adding multiplayer, if at all possible. How awesome would it be to have a commander/builder as one player, with a few others as foot soldiers, fighting against another team of the same kind :D I mean really, the possibilities are endless for multiplayer in this game - from attack/defend, standard FPS deathmatch, base vs base, co-op, etc - and we would definitely like to explore them all.

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm still not sure how this works?

Do you have infinate time to build your base?
    Also do you have infinate or a certain amount of things you can use?
    What's to stop you building a tiny base with 2000 guns around it?
    Is there missions or just random enemy's coming at you forever?
    And also how do they enemy's work? Are they coming in waves that get stronger etc.

I'll be buying it tonight anyway, I'd just like some more details on how the game works.

11. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't seen an iOS game in a while that's been of interest, but this one looks unique enough for me to download.

My boys are going to freak when they see this - they are avid Minecraft nuts so combine this with weapons? Oh boy!

12. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    You guys at Foursaken give us gold for a few nickels! It's amazing. I can't wait for this. I'm not the most creative when it comes to minecraft. I'm a fan just not that inspired to build elaborate structures. This will give building a purpose, a focus to design something great. Then get to hop into first person......with a block Minigun. I'm flipping out!

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hey Forsaken, does this have (or will this get) iCloud support? It looks rad and I really want to keep progress on all my iThings through the day...

14. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Well I know that there are three game modes. One is a free build where you do anything you want you control everything. Another is you have a ton of money at the beginning and build up then survive as long as you freaking can. The last is more you standard. You have a break between waves and you build your fortress up more and more then survive. I don't know if this last mode is endless or level based or what but I hope this helps!

15. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I know right! Just take that Minigun and go kick some butt!!!

16. noshadowkick

noshadowkick Active Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Oh boy! Counting down to this release. This is the first I've ever paid attention to before release (didn't know about Foursaken until H & C).

So pumped. Thanks again, Foursaken for the awesome games and excellent updates. I bought a couple crystal packs in H & C just to support the excellent work.

T minus 13 hours!

17. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

1. Yes, you have infinite time to build your base... though it works differently in the 3 different modes. In survival, the game happens in waves. You mine resources every round, which you can then use to build with. You have unlimited time to build (but limited resources), and when you're ready, you can send the next wave, where you go into FPS mode and defend. In quick play mode you have x amount of resources to build whatever base you can, and then you're taken to FPS mode where you have to defend that base as long as possible. In casual mode you have unlimited resources and can swap between FPS and build mode at any time.
    2. Your character has a level. As you earn more XP, you'll unlock new weapons and turrets (these cannot be purchased via IAP, mind you... so you'll have to actually level up for real :p)
    3. Nothing will stop you from building a base with 200 turrets around it :p Except you'll realize quickly that walls are not for show in this game... if you leave your turrets out in the open, on the ground, you can kiss them good-bye very quickly. There is a LOT of strategy and nuance in how you build your base, that takes quite a bit of experimenting to figure out. I'm sure many people will die pretty quickly at first while they are figuring things out.
    4. Waves of enemies. You have to expand and setup new mines across the map as you progress (mines have limited resources), so there is a purpose to how you build. There are also periodic night cycles, where you will have to build lights to spot for your turrets. In very basic structure, its very similar to a traditional TD.
    5. Yes, enemies come in waves, get stronger, get more, get new types, etc. There are quite a few special enemies that warrant extra attention or different strategies, such as the Elites, which have iron shields that make them pretty much ignore all damage from a 90 degree frontal arc, or the Shadow, which cannot be attacked by your turrets at all.

18. noshadowkick

noshadowkick Active Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Shadow = Block Fortress incarnation of the Wraith? I hate it already.

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

This... is actually a bit tricky. Each map and base takes a few megs to store, so we're still trying to figure out a good way to handle this without having a 30 megabyte iCloud document :mad: So, as much as I hate to say it, for now there is no iCloud.

We'll keep you posted on this front, though, as we do think its important.

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

:D You'll hate them more once you fight them, haha :p