Universal BlitzKeep (by Elijah Delventhal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 29, 2015.

1. mantascorp

mantascorp Member

May 21, 2012
    So I downloaded this today after the mega update (having not played the previous version), and I wanted to post some impressions. I've only played for a short time, so these aren't a formal review.

1. I was excited to bounce the dude around, but the controls for this basic, crucial part of the game seem awkward. I would have assumed that you pull back from the dude, plunger-style (like a pinball game), but instead you drag forward toward where you want to go. That seems counterintuitive and awkward, and you can't see where you are aiming as well.

2. There are some real issues with getting stuck in levels where you can't possibly level up to defeat the enemies, or that you get stuck in a boss level without the requisite level. In these cases, there's no way to go back and grind up your XP, so you are stuck.

3. The art and sound is superb. It's really a fun game to look at and listen to. I have to hand it to the developer.

4. Those time limits in each level are weird. Why is there a time limit at all? Especially when I can get caught bouncing around a bottom corner with no viable way of getting to the top? (Even with the new drift feature). I think a better "limit" would be number of times you can launch your dude. Maybe you can only fling him 4 times in a level? Seems like a better, more thematic way to introduce some tension.

Overall, this is a game that is SO CLOSE to being a go-to time burner, but it frustrates me that it isn't quite gelling the way I can see it doing. I hope that, if the developer sees this, he or she doesn't think I'm just bashing the game. I have been playing it all morning despite the things o listed above. I wish the game success.

2. demonpants

demonpants Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, mantascorp! It's really useful for us. We're still going to update the game to try to address peoples' issues. I'm glad the game is at least very close to what you're looking for!

I'd love to get some more details on your feedback.

1. You're not the first one to say they prefer the pull-back functionality. There is a very late-game class that behaves like a pull-back, but that's not enough. We did some playtesting recently and saw other people feeling the same way. So, in our next update (a quick bugfix and minor change update, should be soon), I will add an option to get that pull-back throw.

2. Hm, so the boost feature isn't helping you with this? We added that largely so that there's always an option to try to boost through powerful enemies, getting you out of rooms that are too strong for you.

3. I'm really glad you feel that way. I'll tell Wouter (artist) and Mario (composer). :) We worked hard on those.

4. You can unlock the Priest class to remove time limits, or you can pay to add more time in each room (in the first shop). We added the time limit because we found the game too easy when people were free to take their time and kill absolutely everything. The limited throw count is a great idea! We'll prototype that. It might be good for a future class.

Thanks again.

@anabolicMike: To beat a level and move on, you need to find the boss, who is always to the north. Try out the new tutorial to learn this!

3. mantascorp

mantascorp Member

May 21, 2012
    Incredible reply, Demonpants! I'm glad you took my feedback the right way and are receptive to it. I certainly don't expect the game to be tailored to exactly what I want, but it's amazing that you take the time to consider all of my thoughts. I continue to play the game in its current form, and I will be excited to try the update. If there's anything else that comes to mind, I'll post it here.

As for the boost, it does work sometimes, but honestly, sometimes the action is so frenetic that I find it difficult to boost when I want to, and if that sends me into a killer enemy, I'm toast.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hmm... Never heard of this until right now so I'm gonna go with it, downloading now!

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Keep forgetting this is on my watch list.

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I would recommend this fantastic little sleeper hit, right now is the first break that I've taken from it since my last post here...About 5 hours solid!!!

7. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Yup same here!

8. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Thanks Rich. You sold me! Downloading now.......before I forget again.

9. Genericus

Genericus New Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Hey all,
    I'm Wouter, the artist on this game. Just wanted to thank you all for the feedback here on TA. It's been helpful and gratifying to read your comments. We're working on the next and final 5 levels. Some cool shit in there!

10. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    #30 sinagog, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Grab it while it's free. Looks really good going on the last few comments on this thread.

EDIT: Yeah, it is really fun. I'm having to reinstall it, though, as it keeps on crashing after I beat the second boss. Probably because I exited the level halfway through. Might not want to do that...

Reinstalled, and it still crashes. Guess it's broken. :(

11. demonpants

demonpants Member

Jul 24, 2010
    #31 demonpants, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Oh noooooooooo sinagog! You're the second person to report that crash bug. I will look into it ASAP! Very sorry.

I sent you a PM, sinagog. Trying to figure out what's causing the crash. If you can respond to my PM, that would be tremendously helpful.

12. demonpants

demonpants Member

Jul 24, 2010
    #32 demonpants, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    It looks like I found the issue! It's a third party plugin to show a "Rate Me Now" popup which causes the crash.

I'm fairly certain the crash only occurs on iOS 7, so if you upgrade you should be okay. I'm also working to submit an update with a fix as soon as possible!

Thank you for your help, sinagog!

The bug is fixed, will submit an update tonight.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Why not update to iOS 8? Because I have about $600 worth of apps on my phone that will be useless if I do...

=o/

Anyway... glad to see you've found the bug and are (hopefully) submitting the fix tonight. I don't expect games to work on my phone anymore, so when a developer takes time to make sure old operating systems are completely functional alongside the newer OS... well, let's just say it's something I know I will remember, and it will influence future purchases. Thank you so much for the post-release support. =o)

14. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Game is impossible can't get past spookane. The timer needs to go. It detracts from the gameplay and it's hard enoug without the timer,take it out. Also killing enemies is hard because you can't go back to rooms, so if you don't kill enough guys and accidenyly go into the next room your going to die....and with no checkpoint System you have to start all over.

15. Genericus

Genericus New Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Thanks for your feedback, 8bitflash. You're not the first person to dislike the timer. As we're building the second half of the game, we'll continue to make changes. Our data shows us about 20 percent of people play all the way through to the last level, we def want to up that number.

In a deadly room you can sometimes boost your way to safety or into a higher power level.

16. demonpants

demonpants Member

Jul 24, 2010
    That makes sense. :) Well I submitted the update last week so it should be approved any day.

17. demonpants

demonpants Member

Jul 24, 2010
    The 1.5.2 update is out, which fixes the iOS 7 crashes.

18. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I have been promoting this game everywhere . Awesome game

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Really upset .
    I had to delete my entire game and data because along a huge bug in the game.
    Stopped allowing my guy to throw flames/ knives/ ect
    Stopped allowing me to collect money after picking it up
    Stopped allowing me to advance in game
    And don't know what else

20. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    This Game is AMAZING.