Universal Blitz Breaker (by Reece Kelly)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Aug 1, 2016.

1. xzamplezz

xzamplezz Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Great game!

It would be even better if there were a ghost racing feature!

2. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    Just beat this awesome game! Well worth the $2.99##
    Now I'm going back to get the items and coins I missed. I also just noticed there are warp levels if you collect all the warp icons in all the worlds.

3. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Oh wow guys thank you so much for the positive reception :D

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying it. Gonna try to answer some questions:

Yeah I've noticed that game center can be kind of slow with this, hope it doesn't cause any long term issues >_> But I'm gonna look into how I can improve the score submissions.

@cilo yyyyyyyes. I do plan on adding more in the future, I think I may dedicate that first page to unique trails that are included by default. May make them more holiday / event themed.

@metalcasket Really? It seems pretty decent on my iPhone 6 for battery life (although anything better than pokemon go is an improvement in my books)

@xzamplezz That would be cool, but I honestly have no clue how to implement that (bit of a coding rookie here, hehe)

@oats Damn man, that's pretty impressive. Good luck with collecting the rest of the characters :D

Thanks again everyone! I hope you continue to have fun!

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I can't believe this game is not getting more attention, probably the most unique thing I've seen on the App Store in a long time! Tight controls, awesome soundtrack, great mechanics, cool boss fights, no IAP!

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    8108 Andy who's getting old ha ha.

6. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    #26 Oats, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    @Blekdar (game dev)
    I'm not sure if I found a bug; I've gone back to try and collect everything in the game.
    I found (so far) in level 2-1-1, 2-2-1, 2-2-4, 2-2-7 and 2-2-9 that I collected all the coins in the level but it won't give me a star for those levels.
    Anyone else not receiving a star for those levels?
    The Warp levels are awesome! I'm up to 4-1 and that is a tough one, but I'll grind it out too!
    Looking forward to any updates planned##

Edit: Hmmm, I just noticed if I hit the re-do button and attempt it a few times it eventually does release the star.
    Just in case you (@Blekdar) need to know I'm on an iPhone 6s (128gb) currently running 9.3.2

7. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I think you get the stars for beating the level under the time goal (shown at start of level). The coins add bonus time for you so collecting them is more about adding time. I think this could/should be explained more at the beginning but someone correct me if I am wrong.

8. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    Yes, the coins add to your time, and beating the level under the time goal nets you a star.

I agree I could have probably explained it a little better, but I was hoping that the timer lighting up when you collect a coin would explain it. Oh well, lessons for the future. I'd like to say I may try to implement a better method of explaining it but I', not 100% when I'll get to that.

9. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    Of course #, I realized that after posting that lengthy comment. Egg on my face for not realizing it sooner #

I am enjoying unlocking all the different characters. Knight and Rocket are my favorites so far.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Fantastic game so far. Bought it based on the praise from this thread. So far cleared the first two areas and warps, all stars and people patches.

Congrats on the release!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully you're already working on part 2! I can see this game taking off once more people notice it on here and the App Store. I really like the attention to detail you put into the boss battles, its almost like something that I would've played from the SNES days yet would have been made by a team of developers, I still can't believe you created this by yourself, huge congrats.

I could tell this was a labor of love, with all the work put into thinking through each stage, linking together new gameplay mechanics to work in later stages, one could have easily let the ball drop when it came to how bosses would work but man it really does challenge the player to think about how to maneuver as well as a tiny bit of luck! It took me a while to beat that serpent but once you notice a pattern, as a player you get that 'ah hah' moment and it all comes together with a huge grin.

I love the timing you need to perfect stages as well. Once you learn how to hop, delay drops, and double bounces just to get you that fraction of a second shorter or longer your individualized play style starts to take place. I'll try to get a video recorded soon of some gameplay to get some more exposure on this thread if you don't mind? Maybe some of the harder stages, or I could share a boss battle, what do you think?

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Sorry about getting back to you this late. Haven't been around the house for a few days. :/ I'm not entirely sure about the battery issue, but I've noticed the SE does get a little hot after playing and recall the battery portion of Settings reporting that 1.2 hours of play used up around 50% of my charge that day. Then again, I didn't exactly do anything with the phone but play Blitz Breaker that day. *scratches head*

Regardless, this is easily my game of the week and surely bound to go down as one of iOS' best pseudo-platformers. Cannot stress how much I love this game.

13. blekdar

blekdar Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Cost Analyst
    Vancouver Island
    @Cilo Thank you so much for the kind words! It's always nice to hear how I intended the game to feel actually comes across like that.

On the topic of a 2nd part? Oh man I do not have enough ideas to do a full fledged sequel haha. I have been tossing the idea of an endless mode variant (whether it be included in the main game or as a separate FTP app), so I may see where that goes.

And man, whatever you feel are your favorite sections of the game to show off is the best. Whatever ones you're the most stoked about.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  15. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Really like the look of this game. Glad to see this forum thread backs up my initial impressions.

16. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    #36 Oats, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    @Blekdar
    I need a bit of help. I unlocked all 100 stars, and beat CHIP. He was super tough by the way!
    But there are still 5 characters to unlock; how do I unlock them?
    Will there be more levels in an update?
    There was a green key i got in one of the levels; not sure what it did...
    How do I get to the Gauntlet X?

Edit: I found the gauntlet levels; they are tough!

17. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Im on 4-2, having gotten all stars to date... and I love this game. Has me hooked. So, this isn't meant as a complaint. I'm probably dense, but how do you just get back to either main menu or restart a level after hitting a checkpoint? When I die, it just has tap to start again, but if you want to leave level to go back to different one, you have to complete level first. Would be nice (and I am sure its there I just am missing it) to have small pause button or something that lets you go back to start menu or at least to start a level (w a checkpoint) without having to finish the level first.

18. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Accounting Monkey
    Sunny California
    Tap on the timer centered on the top of the screen. That is the pause button and you can go back to the menu. ##

19. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Thank you. As I mentioned, I was sure it was something simple and I was dense. That is incredibly useful... As an aside, just starred 4-2-6.

That. Was. Brutal.

Fair, as it should be very tough by this point. But, man, running a perfect run and getting enough stars to clear the time hurdle was rough.

20. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Think I'm at 4-2-6 too, kind of gave up trying to star it. The levels with rockets - especially the homing rockets - are really, really dull and feel far too luck based. That's my biggest (and probably only) gripe with this game - when parts of it feel out of your control, it becomes an exercise in patience/frustration rather than exhilaration and skill, at least compared to the more free-flowing, reaction based levels.