Universal Blazing Star - (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jul 25, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Should also say that not all ships have a spread shot when you hit B... for instance, the Offensive ship gets a shield, and you need to run into enemies with it, while the Defensive ship fires a single shot that turns into a big explosion when you hit B... it's different for each ship.

2. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #82 Vally, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    A couple of things I wanted to mention on the scoring techniques here:

Is the colour of the event item dependant on how long you wait for it? This doesn't seem to be the case with me - The colour seems to change depending on how many of them I pick up, and after the orange event item, one appears that's flashing red with a japanese symbol inside - I'll try this again and see if I can clarify when I'm off my working day. :)

Your scoring techniques don't seem correct with me, but I guess it potentially changes per ship? As I mentioned previously, I use Aryustailm and scoring is *COMPLETELY* based around killing enemies using the charged shot.

Depending on the four levels of charge, you're either going to get a 16x max, 32x max, 64x max, or 128x max. Scoring technique for me has been to use nothing but a maximum charged shot and completely whore the 128x multiplier.

Including lucky bonus and boss timer bonus, I usually end Stage 1 on around 660,000.

Lucky bonus starts at 50,000 on Stage 1 but increases per stage. 100,000 on Stage 2, etc.

End result:

[​IMG]

3. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nice to know!!
    Played once this morning and got 328,000 plus points.....Hurah!!!!!!
    Something must be working:)
    /Off topic
    By the way I googled Metroid
    I'd heard of it but never played and was amazed to read all the history of this game
    Watched some old original Nintendo videos on You tube.... Pretty indepth story line going on there
    I guess we all can learn something new everyday:)

4. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    damn vally... yeah, that multiplier for the special shot is what I totally didn't understand. But thanks for making it more clear.

As for the orbs with wings... it'll fly around as yellow for a while (if you pick it up it gives you a 2X multiplier), and then come back on the screen as orange (4X multiplier). If you don't pick it up, the next one you get will start off as orange. I've never seen one turn red though... so that's a new one for me.

5. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Interesting, thank you for the clarification. :) I'll experiment with that!

6. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Aside from a few Cave games, this is the best shmup for iOS available. Considering it's price it certainly challenges the CAVE releases for value.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ah... Vally... I FINALLY get it! Thank you for your post about the special shot...

Figuring out where to go, and when to attack is great... pretty much on the same level as a Cave title. I want to experiment with the different characters though... I'm positive there's a way to score big with others, not JUST the Offensive ship. =oP

8. Thanks for the info on the multiplier. Had no idea what the heck that cute yellow ball with the halo was, was going to ask, but saw it in your post.

Really like this game though. It is a blast.

9. #89 Connector, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, just loaded the game on my iphone 4, this game plays TOTALLY different on my iphone than my ipad. Now I can understand why there seems to be factions on the controls, because I have noticed that people that had ipads seem to be more concerned about the controls than iphone users. This game seems like it was designed for the iphone, and quickly ported over to the ipad.

On the iphone, the controls are somewhat decent. The joystick mode needs some adjustment, but the touch controls seem to work since most players play with their left thumb and you can play without lifting your thumb which makes a huge difference since this game is not 1:1 instant movement.

However, on the ipad, if you try to use your left thumb, you have to lift it alot cause you are holding the heavy weight of the ipad. So you end up lifting your thumb, swiping, and stopping your plane a lot. So your plane ends up in this jerky haphazard moving style.

That is why some ipad users have said the controls are uncontrollable. With that, the joystick mode on the ipad is horrendous, and you can't move the buttons to the left bottom of the screen, (but as someone has noted you can, using a trick, that you move the joystick first,then hit touch, then move the buttons)

Well, after 2 hours of playing with the controls yesterday, I found a good way of controlling the game on an ipad, it is to play left handed, and use your right index finger or stylus for movement. This makes it so that your finger never leaves the screen, this is very important in this game because the ships lag, so you never want your finger to leave the screen. Or you can do what Syntheticvoid says and play it laying down on a table or your bed.

Using the move button trick to have my buttons on the bottom left, and using a stylus (or index finger) to move on the right side of the screen, have cured my control issues for now, and now I love the game. Kind of a weird playing style, but it works for me.

Still looking forward to the 1:1 instant movement and autofire, and since I normally play my vertical shmups with a stylus, it has changed my view on this game. I think with a 1:1, I would be able to play with my left thumb, so having two different control styles would be fun.

So for ipad users, try this left handed style, I tried this on my iphone, and it didn't work well, my iphone still plays better with my left thumb.

Edit: But now that I found a good way to play on my ipad, I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

10. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #90 drloony, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    I was one of the people posting about the difficulty of the controls. After reading the board I decided to give this game another shot on iPad. I had never played this game before so had know idea of the game mechanics, that was probably some of problem. It doesn't play like most SHUMP's as you need to continuously hit the fire button, and move your ship. Now that I understand more about the different ship speeds I'm able to enjoy this game more. Needless to say you need to play it tabletop most probably, other then that it's a fine game.
    Thank you TA users!

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ha... I finally saw that red orb with the writing inside of it...

No idea how or why I got it though... I didn't pick up any of the other ones previously released in the level... I'm thinking it might have something to do with what your current score multiplier is while using the special shot... it popped up towards the end of the first level, the first time all those little ships are spit out from that thing in the ground... ??

12. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Sometimes I'm waiting and thinking too long to pick up this angel orb that I'm missing shots or getting hit too much!
    Also when I try to charge a strategic shot my ship gets overwhelmed
    It's all fun though figuring it out:)

13. Unadan

Unadan New Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Any updates on when the controls patch will be released for this game?

14. Donald

Donald Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Marvelous look! I enjoyed this game.

15. #95 Connector, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    Update out! Fast touch and autofire added!

Woohoo! Thanks snk playmore and dotemu, this is great! The game is so much better now, and I am really happy with my purchase of this game and metal slug 3. Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks for being a great developer that listens to us!!! You are awesome!!!

16. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah I'd have to agree. Thanks DotEmu!!

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    So, SO much better :)))...but it still doesn't maintain changed video settings though. :/

18. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    What's the uncompressed file size?

19. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    79 mb

20. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Ok thanks will be picking this up then