Universal BlastBall MAX (by Monkube)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sven - Monkube, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Sven - Monkube

Sven - Monkube Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Oh, don't worry about that. The good thing is, Monkube is a company that creates games for other companies too, as well as invest in our own IP's (like BlastBall and 6th Planet). We don't need our own IP's to be profitable, we just need to deliver games players really like, make people who bought our games aware of the fact that we DO NOT do 99 cent sales and gradually build a Monkube fan-base. So every time we release a new game, the group of people buying new Monkube releases will grow.

Now, we're really hoping for more BlastBall MAX reviews (launching just before GDC & PAX really didn't help), but the support by Apple and the great user reviews alone are enough to call this a successful BlastBall IP introduction.

At this moment, my energy goes to contacting my press contact list again, reminding them of the review code in their mailbox and showing them how good BlastBall MAX is doing. A build with bug-fixes has been submitted and we're working on an update offering a new VS play mode, as well as 2 new Stand-alone iOS games (subtitled BLITZ and PUZZLE, both in final stages of development) and an Apple Watch spin-off called BlastBall DUO (more on that in a few hours).

Hm... Well, know that the next gameplay trick you're gonna discover, will push you from around 50k to a few hundred k. As the jumps in score become bigger, as you uncover the deeper mechanics. You're only one step away from competing for the world's top BlastBall MAX score. :).

... And who knows, there might be a layer beyond that layer ;-)

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I'm really starting to get into the flow of the game. The more I play it the more I like it. One piece of feedback. Clearing levels/boards sort of has a obscure feeling to it. The game might have a wider appeal if it was more tangible. Sorry, that I can't be more clear but it's just a feeling I have.

3. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Now that Apple finished it's Apple Watch keynote, it's time to show you the BlastBall Apple Watch game which is well into production.

[​IMG]

It's gonna be called BlastBall DUO, and focusses on one thing: fun, one on one abstract gameplay. The board has been resized to a 3x3 grid, with 6 squares. The goal is to be the first in making 5 in a row.

There's no power-ups, no special balls, no other play modes. Games are completed between 7 to 10 turns, watching the opponent's move takes about 5 seconds, and deciding on your turn takes another 10 seconds (less in the early moves, more in the later ones). After a turn, your move is being sent to your opponent. His watch buzzes, the game opens when he looks at it, he does his move, and pushes the game back to you.

Fun fact: This version of the game is very close to the design we started off with 3 years ago. As BlastBall started out as a 1 on 1 battle on a 4x4 grid game. That version is coming to BlastBall MAX in a content update later on. But the 3x3 grid is faster, and perfect for Watch vs Watch battles.

4. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Okay. I'm at a loss about what you mean by obscure? Is it the soundtrack? Or the minimalist graphics?

5. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Very nice Sven! Blast Ball will be fun on the Apple Watch!

6. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    The graphics and soundtrack are great. I'm talking about how the game progress you through it. Maybe I need to play it more so I can better discribe what I'm talking about. #

BTW: That's awesome you have an Apple watch version in the works.

7. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Oh, okay. Now I understand what you're talking about.
    The thing is, making the game into a more cozy environment, also means that it's graphics will distract players from the balls on the board, which we didn't want to do.

That said, next to more BlastBall games (all using the same gfx set), we're working on a Puzzle RPG using the same puzzle Mechanic. That game will also feature a full comic story. Think Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.

8. kaspalone

kaspalone Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Grabbed this one: HNE946YAENN3

Thanks.

9. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA

That sounds very cool. I like the idea of turning it into a franchise.

10. 61050

61050 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2013
    hi sven. no need to reply directly to me as i probably wont be back on this thread to read it, but i just wanted to give a huge thank you for this game. it is very clear that a large effort was put into this to make it as best as it possibly can be. this game has earned its spot well in my 'do not delete' folder. i have no conditions of entry into this folder, other than it has to be good, but coincidentally none of the now eight games in said folder are f2p. i look forward to playing this on my iphone17s in ten years, and i look forward to seeing whatever else you guys come up with in the meantime.

thank you for caring. you have earned a loyal customer as a result. keep caring, and more are sure to follow after me.

11. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Well, then let this be a reply to anyone who reads this. This is the stuff indie devs thrive on guys. So if you really like a game, take the time to get in touch with the dev and let them know.

We're doing the best we can with BlastBall MAX. And although we didn't get much review support yet (partially because we launched close to GDC and Pax, as we wanted to announce the Apple Watch version right after Apple's keynote), we're pretty confident that great support from users will make some websites dig into their emails and fish out that promo code. We got picked up by Apple for their 'Best New Games' list in US/Canada. So hopefully this week, we make the jump to Europe and Asia, and finish off with a spot in the the Pay Once & Play or Great Puzzlers' list.

But it all starts with consumers, as you guys are the fuel to the whole machine. You buy our games, you write the user reviews, and you also generate the banner ad revenue of the websites you visit. Our group is only a small part of a big industry full of F2P, paid installs and wealthy publishers with big IP's. But if everyone puts in a bit of energy, it's gonna be fun for all of us.

12. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    After reading the threads here, picked it up and having an awesome time with it! Earned a place right next to Auro on my phone! Only played like 4 games so far highest score is only 8k
    My only prob so far is the fact that I twice miss clicked on a rotate and the other spell to change color of a ball, and once you click it it seems you can't undu it and NOT use it. Anyway, keep up the great work !

13. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    We've debated undo functions while developing the game. In the end, we monitored how many people activated a special ball by mistake, which was very low. That made us decide to stick with the rules of real life abstract boardgames. Being that once you touch a piece, you have to use it :)

There's an update coming that fixes the bug which allows you to activate a special ball and then press a power-up (which makes you lose the special ball's power). We've noted your remark. If more people note this, we might re-consider our decision.

14. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I actually didn't realize that was a bug and thought that was part of the strategy, I kind of like it the way it is :)

15. Jibba

Jibba Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Very polished and fun. Lot of strategy in this game. Had a little trouble planning out my moves at first but I've started improving. Definitely recommended.

16. DBrown519

DBrown519 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Environmental, Health, and Safety Fields
    Fullerton (Orange County), CA
    I grabbed P7EXYWE4W467 thank you Sven!

17. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Can't get achievement 34

...means, you have to play all 25 balls 3 times in a row. Is it, because I play with the "+10 balls" powerup?:confused:

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
  19. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Monkube has been working on a big research project the last 9 months (an app to make kids eat more healthy, design by several University research groups), but we're back to 100% in-house development now. We want to stay away from the holiday madness, and won't dive into the sinkhole that is January, but this is the stuff you can expect soon thereafter:

1. An update to the existing BlastBall MAX and GO, introducing a new gfx style, AND the inclusion of a 1 on 1 version called BlastBall DUO, which can be played cross platform between iOS, Apple Watch and Apple TV.

2. BlastBall MAX and GO for Apple TV

3. A new BlastBall game called BLITZ (which is exactly what you think it is) on iOS and Apple TV

4. BlastBall MAX and BLITZ both including the code to play DUO through your Apple Watch.

(Oh, and in case you where wondering: we had to do the re-branding, because playing games on a fully lit Apple Watch screen drains the battery. With a black background, that's not the case)

[​IMG]