Universal BlastBall MAX (by Monkube)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sven - Monkube, Feb 26, 2015.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I'm basicly new to whole code redeeming thing on the App Store so I grabbed the first one from the list under impression I'll send it to someone as a gift after it's redeemed. But it started installing itself over my already purchased game (at least I guess it did because there was this blue circle in front of the app's name after that - like when you update any other app) so I really don't understand what actually happened. If by this action I wasted mentioned promo code, I'm truly sorry, it wasn't intentional :-/

2. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Did not manage to get any code :(
    Oh well good luck with your game devs :)

3. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks I grabbed 3T6WAFX9YLLK.
    Will give my impressions.

4. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    after few hours of game wanna give the dev. an advice... could you guys please add a cancel button for using the special ball ?

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #65 macplash, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    As I wrote earlier, I had a chance to try the game (at least a little) and I have to agree with Stevencarla, cancel button would be highly appreciated. Along with this issue there's another. Let's say I select special tile (I want to rotate or change color, doesn't matter), than instead of applying this choice I tap on one of the power-ups (I realized I want to unscrew tile or defuse the bomb first), by this action I'm automatically loosing the special tile ability. Is that a bug or intention? The last thing I'd implement is to mark last slide somehow (glow around tiles, different color?) because sometimes I just don't remember (with all that planning ahead) which tiles I actually moved. I'd also appreciate some indicator which color is coming next. I know there are just 2 choices but while planning and focusing on other stuff sometimes a forgot which one it is.
    This is not a criticism, just a suggestion how to make the game more comprehensive, maybe easier. It's just because there are no timers I'd like to take my time to think about the next move (or even few ahead) so sometimes I'm just lost. It's not a deal-breaker in earlier stages I guess, but those challenges are getting more difficult with each another so it might be a slight problem than. What do you think about it? Are these points reasonable or do I just need to get used to those game mechanics?

EDIT: one more thing I don't understand is the different score on Game Center leaderboards in game (on main screen) and on actual Game Center (by taping the gamecenter button in the menu or through the icon on the device). The correct score appears to be in-game, it's the same as achieved during the gameplay, so how's the score on Game Center being determined?

6. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    @Sven: I just accidentally produced an Überball and then, wondering if it would provide some Überpoints, blasted it.

Producing it I got a big bonus. Blasting it, none.

So please, my good dev... where can I find out how I made it and how to use it?

Ta!

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I made one as well, it's done by matching 5 special balls in a row and I think it can be matched in a row replacing one of the colors. Or you can make the Power Square for some additional points while active (and one achievement for 50 points as a bonus)

8. Sven - Monkube

Sven - Monkube Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    The fact that when you can press the Defuse or Unscrew power-up while your balls are shaking (yeah, I just wrote that :) ), is an actual bug. That should not be allowed. Your only option then, should be to perform the special ability you've activated. So we're gonna fix that asap.

About the 'cancel' button for when you've activated a special ball. I thought about adding it too. But then Kris, the boardgame designer who created this '5-in-a-row on a board of squares' mechanic explained me that that would be moving in the wrong direction. Any option which is not essential to the game, you should not allow. I know in today's world, you can pretty much cancel and undo anything. But it makes your brain lazy. Timeless abstract puzzle mechanics do the exact opposite. So my advice: think, then do.

Showing which square you last moved is not entirely the same thing. So we're gonna debate that tomorrow, and if we agree that it might be a good addition (it is not 'an extra choice', for players, you see), we'll try and add it into the update that's going out on Tuesday.

About the Game Center / Facebook scores. The last digit on the score which gets registered, is actually used to register your Mission Rank (the little icon behind your score). The scores on Game Center are the same scores, they've just been moved 2 digits behind the ',' of which one of them is the Mission Rank.
    Not an ideal system, that's true. But having bragging rights of where you are mission-wise added to a Facebook & Game Center ingame scoreboard that's 100% correct, seemed the better choice than to NOT do the Mission Tier icon, but having the same scores in the actual Game Center app.

9. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Ah thanks Macplash for explaining how it was made...

As to getting 'rid of it' I can confirm it acts as a 'wild ball' replacing, as you suggested, one of the colors.

I imagine however, like 'power squares', Überballs confer extra points each turn so probably one should take care not to unnecessarily blast them to oblivion.

Thanks again!

10. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Ha, the cat's out of the bag, I guess :)
    Macplash' analysis (read below) is correct. Now, I think the animation you get when blasting one might have distracted you. As you get big points for blasting one.

You've pushed through to another layer of Gameplay. Also, the Power Square's... there's more to that too :)

Fun to see people chipping away at the game, reaching the inner layers. I see 37k as your score on Game Center. That's pretty impressive, over a weekend. Any idea how many games you've played these last few days?

11. funambulist

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Though I curse myself (or use my sole rewind booster) I agree whole-heartedly with your (and Kris's) rationale here. It is indeed better to think, then do. :)

I'm curious about your decision. Playing slowly while contemplating my next sliding square move I sometimes forget what color the next ball will be. Perhaps you could discuss indicating that as well?

Thanks!

12. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Oh, and maybe one of you guys can help me out with the following:
    How long does it take for User Reviews to appear on the App Store?

As the US App store still has only one. We're planning on contacting Apple again, to see if we can get bumped up to their New & Noteworthy list or best games of the week carousel. But for that, more user reviews would be useful.

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #73 macplash, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    Well, not only I unlocked Powerplate! achievement, I've got Megaplate! as well. It happend during the challenge when I was supposed to get 36 balls on the board without making a row. I love how clever the game is and constant discovering of something new is quite satisfactory. I'm currently in Tier 12 and played around 15 games since yesterday. I'm realy enjoying this game, what can I say? It's a masterpiece;)

I'm not sure exactly, but I'm writing reviews all the time and I can say for sure it's there the next day. But I remember a few reviews appeared a couple of minutes later so I don't know if it's somehow automatic or there's a person to approve each review. Anyway, it's a day mostly. At max, by my experience.

EDIT: oh, and I'm really looking forward to have all those power-ups, but since it's "one per day", I need to stick with the game until then, which I'm not taking as a problem obviously. I don't even have a rewind yet... which reminds me, will the amount of unscrew, defuse-bomb (and possibly any other) power-ups increase during these days or it stays at 2 from now on?

14. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    hands up for viewing last moved square !! lol

15. matyou98

matyou98 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    I think quite a few of the supporters here got the game via a promo code. Apps and games obtained via promo code cannot be reviewed by those people. Guessing you probably knew that. I was the one who wrote the review on the App Store. It was written yesterday and I see it there today so I don't know the exact time it takes to go live but it is working.

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    matyou98 is right, but it's a known fact that it's not allowed (or possible) to write a review if the game's redeemed by a promo code or as a gift. I bought the game and wrote the review but obviously not on the US App Store. I assume those ratings from all existing countries are not merged into one so it's probably not very helpful from non US citizens to spread the word or help by writing the review to aknowledge the game globally. But I believe it's at least something, that's why I'm doing it..

17. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Okay Sven, you sold me. I buy a lot of games and apps every week or two (& multiplatform). Usually way more than I need and delete many after only playing a few times, if they didn't give me something new or useful.

Hoping to love this game as much as you want us too if not more. Good luck and as always it's very clever to do what you did with the promo codes as it put this game on TA's top list for me and others to find.

One backfire of the free promo codes for me is that I worry a Dev does this to get noticed and many times the game only generates comments from users than snagged a copy or barely missed one, in hopes of getting a direct message with another code. You somehow managed to keep your game on this list well past the free promo codes and generate 8 pages of buzz on the game and logistics behind releasing in the black hole that is the Apple App Store. And in the end that is what got me reading comments up to this page and so on.

I hope you find great success once again and moreover hope I love the game. ;)

18. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    #78 rbates, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    It is a major pet peeve when a game sends a notification trying to get me to play it every day. I expect these kind of tactics from a free to play title, but not from a premium $3 game. Also, since the game is pure strategy, don't the every-day bonuses go against that concept since they affect the score? That is rewarding people who have played longer, not necessarily better, and is basically a timer.

Edit: as for the gameplay I'm sure there is depth here, but I am having trouble getting into it. I find moving of the squares interrupts the flow of placing the balls. Most of the time I am happy with where the squares are. I got to the point where I tried to move one outer square back and forth but it wouldn't let me do that. I have trouble seeing how forcing the squares be moved every turn adds to the game when you can place the balls where you want them in the first place.

I understand how moving of the squares can be used to setup neat combos, but the fact that it is forced every time is a little frustrating to me.

19. Sven - Monkube

Nov 9, 2014
    Well, I'm with you on this. The notifications... I'm no fan either. But sometimes you need to fight fire with fire. So I hope people who are not fond of this, can look past it and realise we do this to survive in the harsh App Store market.
    About the 'don't the every-day bonuses go against that concept' remark: The power-ups, and the combination in which you use them, are a layer of strategy on their own. We tested versions where they where all available from day one, but that was just too much info. The '1 new power-up a day' thing, is build people can get to know them one by one. Or in some days (where the power-up is a bonus that does not impact gameplay), have more room to just focus on the gameplay (which we know from soft-launch, is day 2 of them playing it).

Also, we totally get your 'why do I have to move these squares' remark. We know the depth in options creates a learning curve, which lots of people won't bother with, or have trouble getting into. So you should know this: BlastBall MAX is the version of BlastBall which proves how deep and balanced this mechanic is, but is aimed at players who are looking for depth. We want to build a fan-base among that core audience first, and then spread out. Hoping those fans will be the wind in our sails. To reach the group you fit into, we're working on a game called BlastBall PUZZLE. That game is 450 puzzles, teaching you all the mechanics used in MAX, at a very slow pace. As each separate mechanic allows us to do very cool puzzles. In the BlastBall PUZZLE game, the "Slide a square" part of the mechanic is introduced at level 100. So you'll be totally down with some other stuff before we bother you with that part. But I'm pretty sure that IF taught step by step, you'll like the depth of this mechanic as much as some of the fans here.

Oh, and now that I'm telling you guys about our roadmap, I might as well spill the beans for the people who're really digging BlastBall MAX: around the same time BlastBall PUZZLE hits, we're also releasing BlastBall BLITZ. That game is very similar to MAX, but has a one minute timer, unlimited balls, switches the color change with a '+3sec on the Clock' ability, and gives you 2 seconds for every row you make.
    It's BlastBall MAX on amphetamines :). VERY fun to play, but you need to master the mechanic before you enter the arena. (also, some power-ups differ and the Missions are new).

Next to that, this is what's coming as updates in MAX:
    - An a-synchronimous 2 player VS mode, where you start out with exactly the same board, and need to get the highest score to win.
    - A realtime 1 on 1 mode (on one device, or via internet), where each player represents one color and the goal is being the first one to make 5 in a row.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Just a quick question about the power-ups. We're not gonna loose them once we already have them, right?