iPad Blast! -

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Daylater, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    #1 Daylater, Dec 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Hey everyone!

I've just released my first iPhone and iPod Touch game.

It's called BLAST! and it's a fast paced, action/arcade style shoot-em-up.
    Simple premise, try to survive, and shoot the bad guys for a highscore.
    (yelling BOOM Headshot! optional...but recommended)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

visit us at http://www.daylater.com/blast for more info, or check us out in the app store here

- http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299127274&mt=8

We have lots of updates and new features planned, but we'd also like to hear what you think! Any feedback at all would be much appreciated.

Heres a new video in the meantime, enjoy!

-YouTube Link

Happy Holidays

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    The game looks pretty cool. I like how it looks cartoony. :)

Just want to say good luck on any other games you're planning on developing. Hopefully this one will do well

Oh, and welcome to TouchArcade forums. I love seeing developers here :)

3. Question- how does it control? I personally like tilting to move a crosshair around a screen- makes it feel more like you are aiming with a gun, rather than just tapping at enemies with your finger.
    Graphics look great btw!

4. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    Thanks!

The game is built to be very action/arcade oriented. So we opted for multi-touch input opposed to accelerometer tilt controls. We did a lot of research of what was already available, and was missing from the app store. We wanted do create something new thus ultimately decided Fast paced tapping was right direction.

You can actually use all of your fingers to shoot everything on screen really quickly... you won't be breaking any highscore records that way, but it sure is fun! The game rewards you for precise shots, and gives you a combo multiplier for every Consecutive kill. (Kills in a row)

5. Deadlock

Deadlock Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Looks good I'll probably write about it in my blog.

6. CommanderHate

CommanderHate New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Game Designer
    California
    Simplicity

The beauty of the game is its simplicity. There's no trying to rotate your character or tilt to aim. You just touch the guy you want to shoot. It's probably similar to the power that Vash the Stampede feels when he's shooting his guns (anime reference, sorry).

The fun of it is seeing how many guys you can kill in a certain amount of time (while also surviving for that time) or how long you can last with endless waves of baddies appearing.

In essence, it's a really cool version of whack-a-mole...
    Which is a good thing. =)

-CommanderHate

7. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    Thanks!, We really appreciate any and all support we receive. If you do make a post, please send me a link so we can reference it on our website!

Haha, i've never heard it put that way, but i guess you're right! It's like EXTREME wack-a-mole. We wanted the game to be as simple and fun as possible, without being, well...lame. So it's good to hear that our intentions made it to the product.

8. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    Promo Codes - BLAST!

Thank you all for the support and to TouchArcade for hosting this forum, it's been a great resource!

Ok, so i hadn't thought about offering codes on a forum, but since there seems to be a lot of demand I thought, why not?
    I'm going to offer 10 Promotional Codes for BLAST! to the first 10 people that send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE!
    I don't want to add useless posts to this thread, so if you reply here you'll be out of luck. Sorry.

If you've already PM'd me you'll get a code regardless :p

Thanks again and have a BLAST!

9. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    #9 Daylater, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
    1 Promo Code left!

All Promo Codes are gone, Thanks for all the interest and support in our game!

I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback.

10. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    I really enjoyed this game. My impression is that this is essentially a souped up whack-a-mole type game, but with elves that also shoot at you. You can use up to two fingers to fire at the crazy Christmas helpers which take varying numbers of bullets to kill. A fun game, not too serious. Great for blasting away excess Christmas cheer. :D

I think this is going to make a great "pick up and play while waiting for something" game. Definite replayability value.

11. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I have the impression that this is FUN whack a mole, with them shooting at you. It would be worth 2 bucks, but I don't know if you want to have a 99 cent sale to get more good reviews, so more people will buy it. Great Game!!

12. lazyrawr

lazyrawr Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Doooood imissed out! I didn't see a blast! Post before damn, oh well I LOVE your game! Totally worth $1.99 could easily sell for $2.99 or more

Is it possiblee to get a 100 combo? My best so far was like 46...so close to 50 but I shot the girl in theface :(

Can't wait to see more! Keep the apps comin plz

13. #13 wastedyuthe, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    Bought it. Had a good play now. This is GREAT! Really good fun. Trying to build up my combo score- reached 46 on my second go. Thumbs up from me!

14. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Wow ... promo code offer post #8 ..... promo codes gone post #9. Should have been checking the posts late last night ... oh well .... thanks anyway .... looks like a good game .... I'll wait for a video review on youtube.

15. manolis

manolis Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    bought it. love it.

16. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    BLAST! - v1.01 Update

:) I'm so glad you guys are enjoying the game!

v1.01 is finished and being submitted tonight.
    It brings mostly level tweaks and tutorial improvments, but also adds a couple cool features! heres a peak at the release notes.

Changes in this update include:

- Lots of level tweaks!
    - Pausing made easier (Tap either top corner to pause)
    - Improved UI. (New multiplier counter)
    - Enhanced High Scores! (Total Kills/ Longest Life added)
    - Improved Help Screen (Added quick tutorial before game start)

Thank you to everyone who's purchased and supported BLAST!
    We're dedicated to providing ever-improving gameplay, new features and support as we continue to expand the best shooting game available on the iPhone and iPod Touch.

17. Sounds good DL. I would like a high score for biggest combo, as that is fun to try and beat too.

18. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    you guys have a acutal gameplay?

19. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    I couldn't agree more! my personal best scombo was 138 (even though the multiplier stops at 100)
    It's a good idea! we'll look into this for our next update

We don't have a video yet, a lot of people have asked and were looking into the best options for video capture. Or, if someone else beats us to it, a youtube link would suffice :p

Any suggestions on the best way to capture video from the iPhone?

20. Firstly, if there is going to be a best score for combo's, I think the way to do it is keep the combo increasing in the game itself so you can see what the score is, even after 100. But after 100, change the colour of the numbers to denote that what ever the combo score will end up as, it will only count as 100 in the game. Maybe. What do you think?

As for video, I will upload one using my compact camera, which isn't ideal, but may be better than the one I tried on my webcam with Zombie Mangle.
    Will post it here shortly.