iPad BLAST! - Now Free

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Daylater, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    Hey all,

I've got good news and not so good news. Unfortunately our team has seen some rough roads during these tough economic times and we are postponing all development for a while. It sucks, but it's reality...

The good news is that we're making BLAST! Free until we get things back in order and can properly finish our 2.0 development. So please enjoy!

Thanks for all the support and feedback. We hope to be back in production soon, so look for our new games and updates in the (hopefully not to distant) future!

- Daylater

2. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Best of luck to you and your team....I just looked up your game on iTunes, but it is still listed as 99 cents...

3. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Its up now, try again.

4. iTouched_You

iTouched_You Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    It's still 0.99

5. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Okay, click on the actual game icon while you're on that screen and it'll show the free price.

6. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    lol i thought i got scammm

7. Sorry to hear things aren't too good atm Daylater. I hope you recover soon with what ever issues you have. Guess I'll have to be a bit more patient with the update.
    All the best.

8. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    Wow... just as a testament to anyone who doesn't believe in the power of Free... We nearly matched our lifetime sales overnight by setting the price to free.

Nice to see people at least playing the game :)

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    For a free game this is pretty nice...

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I hadn't actually heard of this until I saw your post saying you were giving it away for free. Personally, I find this every bit as amusing as The Corsair from PDAMill, which up until this point was probably my favorite portable shooting game up until now. It's really a shame that you couldn't even sell it for 99 cents.

11. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Downloaded, Thank you! Looks like a fun game, too bad development has to be postponed:(

12. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    ...We just broke the top 50 free apps for both Action and Arcade :)

silly.

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hmmm.

Perhaps the generic title had something to do with this game getting lost in the shuffle. Sad that it happened to such a good game. I've been enjoying it for a day now, and was surprised that such a "full" game, for a gallery shooter, was barely noticed. Then I did a quick google search of "BLAST! iphone", and kept coming up with other apps (mainly Bonsai Blast and another app titled "Blast!!"). Seems that might be a reason that games like this get lost in the app store. So many similar sounding titles leads to consumer confusion.

Was there ever a "lite" version released?

I'm sorry to bring these things up, especially when you guys are experiencing difficulty, but I have this desire to know why some games that are quality don't do well on this platform and as I look at examples I'm coming to a basic understanding that sometimes getting lost in the shuffle happens because of "simple" things (in hindsight) that could've been done to raise consumer awareness or avoided to decrease consumer confusion. I'm sure you thought this through already on your own though.

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I agree with SpiffyOne (like the name, by the way). While the name is quite accurate in more than one sense, it's pretty easy to gloss over as well. I think you should rebrand the game as "Destroy All Elves!" and see if you have any better luck.

16. Daylater

Daylater Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Creative Director
    Orange County, Ca
    #16 Daylater, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
    Live and Learn

Well, the title was meant to be generic and descriptive at the same time.
    The holiday subtitle was only ever intended as a "theme". We had, and still have a lot of content and features we want to include. The next theme was going to be "BLAST! - Carnival" and would have been a more generic base for the game. We also had a lite version in the works, but wanted to release it along side our 2.0 update.

As far as other apps named similarly, We were the first (other than bonsai blast). We actually attempted to contact apple in regards to the "blast!!" app which clearly infringes on our name, but were never able to get a response. There is really no way (that i know of) to get proper support regarding that sort of issue.

Regardless, i'm very pleased to see the game getting exposure now. It was always a labor of love (we're only a 2 man team working in our spare time) and never intended to get rich... It's not dead, just on hold.

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    A carnival theme would be awesome, assuming you're talking about playing in and amongst the rides. I could easily see a merry-go-round scene, a Ferris wheel scene, and a hall of mirrors scene. Can't wait to see you guys get back to this some day.

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Descriptive is good. Generic not so good.

The problem with picking something generic you wind up with something too generic and thus something that gets lost amidst the other similar sounding generic titles.

You should shoot for something descriptive and unique. Not so unique as to be confusing in and of itself, but something unique enough that consumers immediately think of your product as soon as they hear or read the name.

19. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    update without holiday theme