Universal Blades of Brim (by Sybo Games ApS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    It looks like a blue fist and when you pick it up, enemies get zapped into bags of gold.

2. Kinsey93

Kinsey93 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Havent seen a single one of those :(

3. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Hey guys - glad to see you're playing the game, sad to hear some of you are having issues. The honest truth about the corrupt gamestates is that we've built something that was a little bit crazy, and there's still some kinks left. Basically the game allows you to play totally offline, and then when you go back online, all of your runs and data are sent to the server, validated and synchronised with whatever other devices you've logged into the game with. That synchronisation isn't trivial so some people are seeing the corrupted gamestate message. We're totally committed to making it seamless though, and the backend team have been hammering away at the issues since thursday when we launched. The benefits from the system are tangible: everything syncs across devices, and your character and progression are safe as long as you've signed in to Facebook - corrupt gamestates suck and we'll grind away at getting rid of them.

The core game plays a bit differently since the 0.7beta from November. All runs start at the same difficulty now, and your weapon level is what determines how far you can go before some of the enemies requires two or more hits.

Leveling no longer relies on an arbitrary amount of XP gathered by killing enemies but instead frames the play experience by requiring you to do some specific stuff. Some of those quests have become a bit hard to grasp - my own wife is on my case about the difference between stomping and dive slamming... This is a natural result of the combat system being deep enough that we've had to come up with a bunch of different names for different moves, but some training is definitely required.

Moving forward (near future) we'll be looking at making the learning curve less steep, and introduce more dedicated ways of learning to master the combat system. We're committed to updating the game in the long run as well, and our feature roadmap involves additions to the game that'll be way more than just your average "new character/mount/piece of gear".

I'll be monitoring this thread directly and replying every so often.

4. CreatedToPostOnThisThread

Jun 8, 2015
    #64 CreatedToPostOnThisThread, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Happy to see you here

Happy to see that you're monitoring the feedback. I too am seeing the corrupt cloud data error. FYI, I have tried turning off Brim's iCloud data as a solve, but I haven't found success. I hope to see a fix/update soon, but understand that these things take time. Hopefully I won't continue to loose my consecutive days/level progression for too long, as this can def be a game stopper, and currently, I'm hooked.���� Thanks again for your attention to this.

5. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    The corrupt gamestate is our no.1 priority at the moment. The wizards are hoping to fix as much as possible directly through the backend, but we're seeing some strange things stemming from the actual game client - and client updates unfortunately take a little more time. Your patience is greatly appreciated though.

6. Maxscart

Maxscart Member

May 11, 2014
    Had the corrupt gamestate as well and lost a pretty valuable item. At least I'm happy to see it's getting worked on. For now, I've unlinked my account to prevent this from happening again. Seems like the safest option.

Would anyone happen to know how much Lilith costs? About to get her but I hope I don't have to save up a huge sum.

TO THE DEVS: Any chance to enable iTunes File Sharing? From what I've heard it's pretty simple, and would be a nice addition.

7. aaoh

aaoh Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Freelancer
    USA
    This is definitely a refreshing runner I have seen in ages, though it's worrisome to hear about the corrupted game state, may hold up till an update is released.

8. Maxscart

Maxscart Member

May 11, 2014
    Only seems to happen if you are linked with Facebook since it's what it uses to store your data. Unlink that and you should be good to go. At least that's what I got from the prior dev post.

9. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    I might have been a bit unclear then - logging into Facebook allows you to sync the data across multiple devices - it's basically our way of knowing that the data belongs to you. But even if you're not logged into Facebook the client-server data sync is still happening, which is where the corrupt gamestates can show up.

We've identified some specific level-up quests that were causing issues and those have been removed from the quest pool. It's already showing a measurable decrease in gamestate errors, so things are moving in the right direction already.

Some people are seeing the corruptions, the vast majority are completely unaffected - in general Facebook shouldn't play a role in it at all. Since Facebook is how you see your friends' highscores I'd personally prefer to stay connected to Facebook (I play on two devices anyways, so I need it).

10. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    I really like this game but it randomly lags out down to unplayable state for no reason on my iPad air.. :/

11. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    So what are the differences in the various types of chests you can get from completing a dungeon quest?

I've seen plain wooden chests, wooden chests with vines on them, and black metal chests. Very rarely I'll get a weapon from one (but it's usually one I already have, so I just get essence instead), but most of the time I just get a whistle.

12. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    The further you go in a single run the higher the quality of chests that MIGHT be at the end of the dungeons. Higher quality chests contain better gear (better chance of better gear essentially). As you're gathering all of the common weapons eventually the wooden chests will be giving you duplicates that turn into premium currency as well as boosts and other things.

Our feature roadmap includes... putting more stuff in chests - stuff you'll REALLY want, mind you. We're focused on stability of the game atm though.

13. TrencH

TrencH Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Mar 29, 2013
    Excellent game and one of the few runners that has not been deleted overnight. The quests that you give to go up levels is one of the best things I like about it. It's fun to hit the goals and the rewards are varied and not the same thing over and over. I believe you earned your spot as game of the week in the App Store. Very fun game that's challenging but not too hard. The controls are very responsive and the way that attacks are made are great. It will be nice to see what updates are made on this game. Maybe include legendary loot for new and more difficult levels? There does seem to be a thing for orange sparklies in rpg type/progression games. =]

14. CreatedToPostOnThisThread

Jun 8, 2015
    Immediately solved my issues- thank you

So, you can count me in the majority of BRIM players. I am no longer getting the corruption errors since you guys (SYBO) did whatever it is that you did. We didn't even have to wait for an update. Thank you Thank you! Since yesterday, I have been able to level up from 13 to 16, find and keep 2 rare swords (spark and oathbreaker), complete my daily quests, begin using my Atlas, and score my high score just over 30k.

I appreciate that the action oriented and problem solving approach that you and your team have taken to solve our issues so quickly and efficiently. Thanks again

15. Callabrator

Callabrator Active Member

Jan 18, 2015
    As a developer, I can vouch for the incredible complexity of allowing offline play and then syncing between multiple devices. It's just a really tricky problem to solve, and involves endless edge cases. I wish you guys the best on your fixes! Brim is a great game!

16. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    #76 Seil, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    So, long post in retrospect, but here goes. Weird amount of rant for how much I've played and intend to continue playing...

My first impression of the game was "This seems really over-monetized" which was unfortunate. However, after playing for 5 days and reaching level 21, it seems fairly decent. I don't think the value is right where cash is concerned, though. The "special offers" section's prices are pretty iffy to me. I mean, the equivalent of $20 for the SECOND BEST coin boost weapon in the game? Pretty crazy. And $4 for one Onyx Chest really shows how close to all the "social RPG/card" games the loot system is going since those generally cost $5 for a single pull. Came really close to instantly deleting the app because that's always a huge turn off, but I gave it a chance anyway.

<begin rant on Freemium models> I'll always prefer premium games, or "free" with a full unlock IAP, etc. However, when it comes to Freemium, I'm far more likely to pay if I don't feel it's necessary at all and when it feels like I actually get something for my buck. NimbleBit with stuff like Tiny Tower showering you with bux did that well, and they've probably gotten more money from me with their games than anyone else when it comes to freemium stuff. When the price of a proper console game would get me virtually nothing, in a runner or a "social rpg" that consists entirely of menus and tapping, the value is clearly broken. Not fond of the whole "whale hunting" monetization models. <end rant>

That said, the game seems decently fair as far as rewarding playing goes. Very grindy without spending, but so is Subway Surfers. Just, instead of grinding out almost 1 million coins for one of the character unlocks, you're grinding out essence for random item pulls. I've started getting Rare tier loot from dungeon chests, too, which was a nice surprise. I figured they'd just stay common and all become essence.

On that note, I'm only missing three Common items now. Two weapons, one piece of armor. One of the weapons is the Golden Justice. The game implies it can be acquired from iron chests and I'm wondering if that's so. Part of me would rather just hope for it from an occasional iron chest purchase rather than sinking over half an Onyx Chest's worth of essence into such a low tier weapon.

On another note, I've recorded the loot of my past 200 dungeons, because why not? The most interesting parts are probably that there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of getting either coins or a chest from a dungeon reward, and that there seems to be a 25-30%-ish chance of getting gear(weapon or armor) from chests. No telling how far off the true values are, though. You can see it in more detail(and in a horrible format) here. Included are links to more specific breakdowns of different tiers of dungeon chests, because I was bored and what's a tiny bit of extra time investment? Should've just set up a spreadsheet, but I wasn't originally intending to do that much. Initially, I was just going to record 50 runs or so and get a general idea of the coin to chest ratio...

Since I've gotten a decent bit of playtime out of it so far and intend to play more, I'll be throwing at least a couple bucks in. I just wish it felt like there was actually some value in doing that x.x

---

Also... "Kill X Wizards with <direction> attacks" is torture. "Kill <rare enemy that becomes much rarer when you have this "quest"> with <power up>" is pretty bad, too, but it's given me less grief. Wizards have a horrible tendency to run into dungeon portals, off ledges, or next to the wall on the side you need to attack them from... I've had to suicide or come very close many times to pull off necessary directional kills on wizards, assuming they didn't make it impossible x.x

Edit: The game's great fun for a runner, though. Love getting 60, 70+ combos in a dungeon. Would be cool if there was one or more variations for the "Bonus World", though. Seems like an odd name when it's just a stream of coins =p Perhaps some kind of boss fight. If you win you get something nice, if you lose then you just continue your run as usual. Just an idea for something in the future.

17. Wizard_Mike

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yes! This is the most frustrating thing in this game!

It wouldn't be so bad if wizards were more common.

18. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    You can bet your bottom dollar there will be legendaries in Brim. And they will be... legendary.

19. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    I appreciate the long reply (and the fact that you compiled 200 dungeons worth of loot). I agree with all of it - we did not want to make a pay to win game, and getting essence balance just right is an ongoing effort. I'm level 11 at the moment with almost 200 essence saved up (need 300 for Golden Zodiac). And the golden weapons are our version of a coin-doubler iAP.
    The game is lacking a bit of content in the "what should I buy" department, but we've got plans to make armor choice play a much bigger role in how subsequent runs turn out. It's early days, so I don't want to spoil anything or setup expectations, but we're trying to build a setup where choosing an armor/weapon/pet loadout is sort of comparable to adding game-changing legendaries to your Hearthstone deck. You can see the effect of the gear you've chosen in the runs you'll be doing.

20. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Public Service Announcement

A general issue we've identified:

The game currently doesn't play nice with the Weblock App - it'll cause everything to start lagging severely after about two stashpoints. We'll look into the issue, but for now the fix is to disable Weblock.