Universal Blades of Brim (by Sybo Games ApS)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 9, 2014.

1. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Hey Guys,

Brim is soft-launched in Sweden as well. We're super stoked to see the game out in the wild and naturally we will be monitoring and collecting feedback during soft-launch. If you leave any kind of feedback here, we will see it.

//Laurids, Lead Game Designer @ SYBO Games

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is not what I expected. Better. The attack to move mechanic make this a spiritual successor of sorts to Punch Quest. It's very kinetic, and unusually dynamic and varied for an endless runner.

Locking away the pets mechanic behind a soft wall of IAP currency is probably I'll-advised, though. It's a cool addition that could probably work well as a chargeup ability. And who knows, if we use the pets on a regular basic, perhaps we will even be more inclined to spend real money on additional critters :)

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    What mainly bothers me is that everything uses the same premium currency. The only good side is that you can get them in game if you last long enough. My main issue is that no one is going to ever summon a pet except on accident (which I did, don't like the double tap mechanic). Reviving, buying pets, using pets, etc all uses potions so why spend them. It makes it even difficult to figure out what you should use it on since they all cut into each other..

4. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    #24 SYBO-binderup, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks guys - I've already had the first co-worker come up to me and say "The guys on toucharcade are describing the same issue that I have" :)

Some of this stuff is about communicating game systems better, other are about balancing. We're definitely still open to substantial changes - so please, keep it coming.

Edit: a word

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for stopping by and taking some recommendations at least. Not to brag but devs who come on TouchArcade tend to be seen more favorably and more people will check out their games in turn ;) People like the communication!

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This feels like a slower, more strategic version of Ninja Slash, but im really liking the wall run, aerial combos, and the AOE mechanics in Blades of Brim.

Im looking for a doubler though, coz that would make the grind much easier, and effectively make it feel a lot closer to being premium.

7. YoniBay

YoniBay New Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Music????

I really love the game - but one thing bothers me. If you really are the guys behind Subway Surfers, then why the f... do you use stock heroic/fantasy music for this game? Subway Surfers track is one of my all time favs. The Blades Of Brim music is just indifferent and boring... after 1 hour it annoys the hell out of me

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    You keep posting this advice but it's not a very practical solution since you also have to deal with constantly re-entering billing information, etc. So much easier to simply log out and log back in with a country specific account.

Besides, although Apple hasn't done so, it would be well within the TOS to permanently lock any account for fraudulent information and there is going to be no flag more obvious than someone who's account keeps flitting between 3-4 different countries routinely. Hardly seems worth the risk when all the separate account needs is a spare email, hardly difficult to come by.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've posted it on three occasions it because I find the solution much more convenient and practical. I've noticed over the course of the last year that some of my local friends and readers are not aware of the alternative, and come to prefer it to keeping separate accounts. The same has held true for TA, to some extent.

Luckily, it does does not throw up any flags. It is a standardized solution for those of us who travel frequently between countries and who make use of local app solutions, and I've received confirmation on two separate occasions (one from an Apple Store Genius, and one far more reliable from Apple support) that we are free to play merry hell with our account information in this manner. Though a bit more tactfully put ;)

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sadly, I must say that the ability to continue runs (and the current score) by spending essence seems to completely invalidate any friendly competition through the built-in score comparison mechanics.

Sybo, might resetting the current score upon essence revives, but otherwise allow the player to continue the run in the normal fashion, be an option? This would leave the competitive aspects intact, but still allow players with essence (or cash) to spare with an option to reach the higher echelons in a given run?

11. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Your point is duly noted - however, we're making concrete changes to how reviving works currently, so we'll be revisiting this issue. However (and this behaviour will change due to what we're working on now) we found that paying essence to revive stopped being an issue once you master the gameplay mechanics well enough to be gaining more essence than you spend - EVEN if you're summoning pets... who btw. gives you a free revive if you crash while on them - they're basically hover boards that shoot fire, maintains your combo and saves your ass.

But to reiterate, your feedback has merit, but we're doing stuff to reviving that will potentially make it less of an issue.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, I imagined there might be more to this than I had discovered, and earning more essence than the player actually spends in a run, pets notwithstanding, certainly seems to alleviate the issue.

Looking forward to the revival revision (which, incidentally, is fun to say several times fast)!

13. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    All of our in-house testing (basically intensely competitive teammates trying to beat each other's score over the weekend) also clearly shows that actual skill at the game consistently beats the pay-to-revive mechanic.

I'm a stingy gamer myself - However I like the added element of risk/reward calculation that the revive scenarios entail. It makes it much more interesting than just plain (Insert 5 Coins to Continue). Our challenge atm is to communicate risk/reward even better than what we're currently doing. And we will - hang on for the revived revival revision.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So far, I'm LOVING this. I just hit LV.9, and also got a 32 attack retro- pixel looking sword (very cool). Currency and those blue vials are earned at a good rate, and I'm constantly buying or upgrading items for my characters.

The gameplay is fantastic. Chaining together combos is a blast, though I do think it takes a little longer than it should to get to the point where you can actually get a meaningful combo going.

Anywho, is iCloud incorporated? I'd love to be able to get the game on my US account when it goes live worldwide and purchase some coins... But I doubt I'd want to if I had to start from scratch...

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I guess I should also say it's a bit frustrating when you keep getting the same pet every time you open an epic egg. This makes 4 times now I've gotten the same pet.

But still really enjoying it. The combo aspect is really fun to play around with.

16. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Hey man - glad you're liking it :)
    We support GameCenter and FB Login - and your purchases are transferred across. I'd use Facebook personally - it just "works". This also means you can meaningfully play across multiple devices - just make sure you're online for the background progress sync to happen.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alright, so I want to take back what I said about the combo system early on. I did not know that wall running extended combos, and the way you guys have integrated it all here is outstanding.

Also, the life system. I LOVE it. I love that I can screw up and as long as I don't screw up again right after that, I can keep going. It's a fantastic life system.

Now, even though leveling up can get a little slow, and it's hard to get new pets ( I've stopped, I now have 78 orb thingys and usually use them to extended playing through a couple deaths), this has got to be my favorite behind-the-back runner on iOS. I feel like you guys NAILED the combo system, and have the perfect amount of the game built around that system, and because of that, 'grinding' is incredibly fun. The drive to level up and get better equipment is definitely there too, but for me, that all takes a back-seat to the actual gameplay. I know others, especially fans of the genre, might not 'get it' when I say this, but with every other behind- the-back runner, it's felt like they were pushing you incredibly hard towards leveling up, and while challenging, the gameplay seemed to always have that promise of getting better the more you unlocked and progressed, but (again, only IMO) it never seemed to. It always kinda felt like the gameplay took a backseat to everything you could unlock. And when the gameplay felt stale, adding a half second onto an invincible power up or flying power up just didn't effect the gameplay enough.

(I know I'm rambling, I'm sorry)

Blades of Brim on the other hand, incredibly fun gameplay built around combos with power ups that can help you get better combos, and increasing the stats of equip items actually effects how you can combo and how long you're able to string combos together.

I love it.

That's it... =oD

Definitely looking forward to the worldwide release so I can tell everyone I know to check it out. =oP

18. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    Well, that certainly makes my monday much more enjoyable :) Thank you for the followup - we're looking forward to world-wide as well!

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No problemo! Thank YOU for this game!

I did just take a look at what you get for buying IAPs. The essence seems a little light. 5 for $2, when I usually get about 10-15 per run ($5), and with that kind of output there's no real incentive to throw down $$ towards essence. The coins are basically the same, though not AS bad... I generally get about 2k coins a run, which is $2 worth of IAP.

Now, even though I do plan on buying SOMETHING when the release goes live worldwide and I can get this on my US account... The amount of items you get with $$ seems incredibly low. More-so than most other F2P titles.

I honestly believe that bundling the currency&essence would get you more IAP purchases. 5,000 coins and 15 essence... Still a little light for $5, but personally, I would be more likely to buy that than any of the options given now.

I don't want to tell you that it's wrong, and for all I know, people could be buying it up like crazy... Just thought I'd share thoughts about the payment aspect as well...

20. SYBO-binderup

SYBO-binderup Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Lead Game Designer
    Copenhagen
    iAP pricing isn't locked down yet. The essence/time ratio definitely has to make sense compared to essence/monies. We're still playing with essence/time, so it follows that the other one will also see some changes.

And again, THANK YOU for the input - we can never have too much of that. (I realise I might regret that statement later...)