blackbars for games with virtual dpad/buttons?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Sep 19, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Been wondering for a while. One of the largest complaints with iphone games is that virtual buttons/stick plainly suck. They aren't really all that responsive and they obscure a large portion of the screen. This made me wonder, why people make games 4:3 dimension and have borders on the side where the buttons/dpads are? That way your fingers won't be blocking the game screen. Sure it might look kinda dumb in screenshots but gameplay works way better.

They do that in cave games and those control and play fantastic.

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    yeah maybe, I just don't find that it blocks that much of the screen, and plus either you would lose a lot of the view or it would be much smaller and harder to see.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I also agree with Osmiral, down with black bars!!! All d-button controls should also have size and transparent options standard.

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Hmmm but you can't make your finger transparent eh? I find that the most time I get hit is from the left side which your finger blocks when you want to move up or what not.

Most recent game was Hybrid 2 that i had this issue.