Universal Black Paradox (by Tiny Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Lull4by, Nov 13, 2018.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks developer for the great game, and the information regarding updates! Looking forward to them

2. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Black Paradox is pretty much 80'S-teredenn... and it comes with in-game cash to spend on upgrades and equipment slots; also the Black Paradox support mechanic could make the difference between life and death. Looks, plays and sounds amazing, although this basically means it's like an 80's skin and BGM change for Steredenn.

Even though it takes a lot from that other mentioned game, I still like it a lot. The fresh graphics and haptic feedback make the experience worth the while. Also, $3.99 is a pretty good price for the quality this offers. And shmups is like my favorite genre, too, so this was a must-buy for me since the very moment I watched the announcement trailer.

If you're familiar with Steredenn, you won't find much to make a difference here, but it'll still be pretty enjoyable if you're into shmups. Hope this game sells well and I'm looking forward to updates.

My best progress so far was making it to the third boss... dude's hard!

Will give it a few more go's tonight!!

Good job, devs!

PS: I promise I won't use that other game's name anymore in future posts. xD

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Was wondering what you mean in the last paragraph. Said you would buy it again if there was more content but then say buy if you like Steredenn but hate it for having hardly any content. So does this have more content than Steredenn?

sebgo likes this.
  4. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #24 Lull4by, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    The game is early access on Steam now, I guess the game we played on iOS is the first version at the moment, since the developer said they will bring a lot of contents in a few days.

The game on steam is not finished and keep getting content updates and fixes, so I think we will get more and more new things in the future.

You can check the game update history here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/858680/allnews/

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  5. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I didn't try to get what that post meant.

With Black Paradox you get a similar gameplay experience, from controls to randomized waves each time you play and a boss (not random, though, there's a fix sequence) at the end of each level which gives you the option to choose from two random enhancements.

Differences:
    • Let me state the obvious first: Visuals and BGM. Colors are vibrant, very neon-ish and bright, plus the option of enabling a "VHS filter". BGM is "synth wave" (or something like that is what I think it's called).

• The "Black Paradox" mechanic, which is basically a support skill that temporarily summons a dark version of your ship (Delorean?) to help you take down enemies. You can use it when a the corresponding gauge is full after advancing and shooting some enemies down.

• Shooting down enemies gets you some credits $$$ and bosses have bounties on their heads which, after each run, can be spent at the Garage.

• Garage allows you to install up to 4 powerups. At the beginning you'll only have two available slots and additional slots and powerups are purchased with earned credits. Powerups include stuff like shooting from your ship's butt now and then, which is cool. Also gives you the chance to shoot three projectiles sometimes (% probably is increased in higher levels of said powerups).

• Haptic feedback. Feel each shot and explosion. Loved that.

• I get the feeling enemies are faster as well as their bullets. I've found that as an increased difficulty and I'm really hoping this doesn't change.

• Apparently, devs are working on adding more content.

So far, I've liked it even though I can't deny it feels an awful lot like "I've already played this". But that's a good thing for me in this case.

Anotherkellydown and raravan like this.
  6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    From the video you can see it’s a bummer he’ll and what type of game it is. Use refunds if a game crashes etc but just to claim the money back for a game like this seems totally wrong.

You can’t ‘buy’ it again as you’ve already got it. The dev I’m sure would add more content if it sold well. if a game doesn’t sell well then we all lose out.

Thankfully the rest of us won’t try for refunds

sebgo likes this.
  7. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Huh mfi issue spotted! Nimbus works perfectly in the menu but not at all in game... frustrating...

8. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    Yes, I already sent an email to the developer about the problem, the developer replied it in the earlier post here, check it if you are interested about what the developer said.

9. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Ah ok thank you did not spot it but nvmd...

Weird that they miss this bug before release ^^!

10. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

They probably were having a blast playing it with touch controls and forgot to actually test MFi compatibility. Then they submitted it and gave the MFi coder/tester the eye like:

( ≖_≖)
    ( ≖_≖) "Did you do the MFi testing?"
    ( ≖_≖)
    ( ≖_≖)------------ Σ('◉⌓◉') "Oh, crap!"
    ( ≖_≖)
    ( ≖_≖)

Then they started working properly on it and coffee was on the MFi guy's. So, keep tuned and it'll probably be fixed in an upcoming update!

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  11. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    That’s your point of view. I know better when I should get my money back.
    And your wrong about buying the game again after a refund. If I try to download it again the AppStore said that I should pay for it.
    The video doesn’t show enough. It doesn’t say how the difficulty of the game changes - step by step or hell at the start. So doesn’t the video show how much content is present in the game.
    Finally, why should I keep a game which won’t play until sometime later when new content arrives?

12. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    Oh, that’s my fault, sorry about it. :confused:

13. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I m just impatient to play with my nimbus :p

sebgo likes this.
  14. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Nah mine, just too tired after a long long week!

15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I think psj meant the refund feature isn't for trying games and then getting the money back just because you didn't like it. It's for technical issues and/or cases in which apps are not as advertised.

For knowing what the game's content is and the type of game it is, you could have just read a review or feedback from other players. Also, announcement trailers aren't the best for checking what a game's about, for that you better search playthrough vids.

As you said, it's a lot like that other shmup which, btw, I wouldn't put it in the "bullet hell" genre. I find both games more in the middle of traditional shmups and actual danmaku games (check Bug Princess 2 Black Label ultimate mode and you'll see the difference).

Anyway, hope to get you back in the paradox once the game gets more content (in case it does).

Lull4by likes this.
  16. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    The refund feature exists for one purpose - return your money. If you buy something in a shop (a tv, shoes, a toaster) you are able to return it even if you simply don’t like it. Why I’d that different from the AppStore? Let’s be honest, you wouldn’t buy a game that you know you won’t like. Look at Steam, their refund system is way better that the one Apple has. And there you can make refund without any problems. Valve understands that games are as much a product as anything else you can buy and players need a normal refund system. Games are an individual product. A dev can show it in trailers in one way, but the player, who liked the game from the trailer, might not like the game after trying it.
    I don’t think that even a hundred reviews, player feedpack, trailers (which are more of an advertisement that a review) could show me if I would like the game.

17. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Details
    Play as Black Paradox, a bounty hunter capable of traveling through time by manipulating energy produced by black holes. Help him defeat the Hellraisers and its 7 leaders, the most ruthless criminal organization in the galaxy. Use hordes of different weapons, upgrades and drones to succeed in your quest! Key Features: • 15+ weapons! • 30+ powerups! • 10+ deadly drones, little helpers that pack a lot of punch! • A space bending ultimate move, the “Black Paradox”, so powerful that the main character is named after it • 50+ different enemies, each with different attack patterns! • 7 deadly bosses with unique attacks • A growth system to give the player more powers while upgrading his stats • Integrated control support for all kinds of controllers! • Amazing pixel art • Awesome Synth-Wave soundtrack

I haven't checked the amount of weapons, powerups, drones and enemies (or whether their attack patterns are different) but, so far, I got a functional game with most of what was offered (except the control support because I don't have one and some users reported it being broken... good thing it'll be fixed!), and I swear I can tell from the trailer that this game plays almost the same as something I had already tried and liked before...

I'm a little sorry for typing this, especially since it's not directly related to the game and should be discussed somewhere else, but here I go..:

That sounds pretty wrong if there's no fair reason to do so; not liking something is subjective and therefore can't be taken into account for refund proceedings. Then, in the first place, it'd be best to avoid from the start, but you probably liked what you saw in the trailer and decided to give it a go; and I'm pretty sure you didn't receive a different product. I don't think the trailer was like "you're getting a similar game that you'll like more!". Also, there's a rating system which you probably skipped and went straight to the refund button, which for Apple has a way different purpose than satisfying people's tastes. It's for giving back money to people affected by technical aspects not covered in apps descriptions like device/iOS compatibility or who fall victim to scams like fake/incomplete/unusable apps and other reasons; I'm pretty sure the "I don't like this app" option is not listed in the refund drop down menu.

For TVs, toasters and shoes, you probably get the chance to test exhibit products so that you can become familiar with them before you purchase so, in my opinion, it wouldn't be fair going back to the store with an excuse such as "I didn't like it". And that's what apps/games descriptions, previews, reviews and demos (more Lite apps would be very welcome in the AppStore but, for some reason, it's not a common practice) are for in digital markets. It'd be a different case if the TV had display issues that made your dog go blind, the toaster set your house on fire and your shoes' sole fell off when you were escaping from the burning house.

Many of Apple's policies suck, yeah! Too bad we owe our souls to them because we gladly accepted their terms when we were setting up, and started using, our shiny gadgets. But also, keep in mind said policies also help with the overall quality of their products and act as a way of keeping safe their interests (mainly this ha!) and their affiliates' (devs and app publishers?). An "easy" refund system could be as easilly exploited/abused by users (e.g. download an app, crack it, get a refund, repeat with another app,...) and doesn't actually make it "better" than another company's, it only makes it more accepted by people. A normal refund system involves product quality and its respective price and Apple has it; liking or disliking something... well, that's the purpose of rating systems.

HEY, I WAS RIGHT EARLIER! You liked the trailer hahaha

So you're saying you wanted/needed to try it, and since you didn't like it being too much of a "bullet hell" (not the case, really) and similar to another game you're familiar with, you decided to take the money back. And if you say that opinions from a lot of people as well as related media (game playthroughs, screenshots) wouldn't be enough to give you an idea about how'd you like something, then I'd dare say you may have trouble perceiving stuff that's being shown/explained/recommended to you.

Opinions and media should at least give you something like more than 50% of certainty about whether you'll like something or not.

I promise not to press the matter anymore. :D

I almost defeated the third boss! xDD

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    still don't understand why the refund thing, there's no clear reasons here o_O

rather it seems more like a whim :D:D:D

19. Lull4by

Aug 21, 2014
    Well, just because he/she WANTS, that’s WHY, just ignore that post.

Let’s talk about the game itself, it will be more fairly to the game. ;)

How do you feel about the touch control? is that really good or it needed some improvements?

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  20. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    After a few runs, I find myself enjoying this more than steredenn. There is a much larger assortment of weapons, drones, upgrades, and permanent upgrades that make this a much “meatier” game than steredenn. The difficulty is MUCH greater at the start, but you quickly gain cash and can start beefing up you space whip with chips that add cool effects, like stealing health or flinging extra rockets. after a few runs that whimpy little car is spewing munitions like a fresh COD noob.

There are set bosses, but I feel they are hard enough that you spend a fair amount of time learning their paterns and training your thumbs to move mast enough to deal with this games difficulty.... cuz it will crush you at times. You will enjoy being crushed by it tho. BUY IT.