Black Friday / Cyber Monday Deals on NON- GAME apps?

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by pluto6, Nov 27, 2010.

1. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have found only 2 so far that are really great.

Sketchbook Pro by Autodesk for $0.99

Star Walk for iPad for $0.99

Star Walk iDevices also for $0.99

The latter 2 are amazing astronomy apps that you let look at the stars using the device as a helper to point you in the right direction and help you look for various bodies / constellations / etc.

So - what am I missing?? There must be some other great deals on non gaming apps, but I am not seeing much on AppShopper, or I might not know what I am missing as I look over the apps.

2. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Well, the navigation apps had a huge Thanksgiving sale.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I have a TomTom with lifetime maps, so I did not look at them.

I also started this thread with hopes that people will post some of their great non gaming finds.

4. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    There is already a section on non-gaming apps in the Thanksgiving Week Sales thread, and I've already asked SirAwesome to consider moving them here.

5. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    #5 SirAwesome, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Per tiltmytouch's good suggestion heres all the non game apps from my thread that are all on sale:

Misc App Sales

SketchBook Pro
    Star Walk
    McSweeney's Small Chair
    Artist's Touch for iPad
    Solar Walk - 3D Solar System model

RedShift $9.99

Money for iPad $3.99
    Art Authority 4.99
    ArtRage $3.99

TomTom U.S.A. 34.99

6. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    #6 TiltMyTouch, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    That is quite a slim list compared to the games :p

I'll see if I can find some more.

EDIT: After a quick glance at the first page of AppShopper, I can already tell you there are quite a bunch of non-game apps, though many of them are quite useless. I can provide this though:

New Oxford American Dictionary - 14.99 to .99! That's over 90% off >.>

7. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Yeah I havent being quite as close attention to the non game apps, just if i saw something that looked good i tried to mention it

8. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you were hoping to have people post some of their good non-gaming app finds I'll share some of mine:

Sleep Cycle, on sale for $.99: Incredible alarm clock that wakes you up when you're in the lightest sleep so that you'll be the most rested and won't feel groggy or agitated like you do when your alarm wakes you up in deep sleep.
    Key Ring, free: Consolidates all your reward cards by allowing you to store scannable bar codes in the app for cashiers to easily scan at the register.
    RedLaser, free: Barcode scanner that allows you to scan products in stores to instantly view their online prices and find them cheaper at close locations.
    Mint, free: Great personal finance manager

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    The app for This American Life is/was on sale for 99 cents. Awesome app if you're a fan of the podcast.

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Looks like McSweeny's Small Chair is back to 5.99

Also, that dictionary looks like have been priced all over from a high of 29.99 to a low of 0.99 with a lot of negative comments regarding this, so buyer beware.

Unlike gaming apps that have some forums, it is hard to tell good apps from crap on the non-game side.

11. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Doodle Buddy premium went free...

12. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Well I just checked AppAdvice and there seems to be quite a few useful non-game apps on sale. Check out the list here.