Universal Bit Pilot (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Mar 4, 2010.

1. LivingBackwards

LivingBackwards New Member

Jun 13, 2011
    this game is great and looks great on the bigger screen, the new modes also add some variety to the gameplay!

now i hope that synthpond, unify and sonic wire sculptor will also get the universal treatment.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow... game looks AWESOME!!!! Yet another wish-list game...

damnit I need a second job just to support my gaming habit... =o/

3. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    same here. this game has always had a spot on my iphones.....ALWAYS.

4. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    the tunnel mode is REALLY FUN. check the leaderboards, right now i'm number 2! amd i think the number one guy cheated or something. i really wish the other mode didn't require retina...

5. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    noticed a little bug: when the game starts it ignores the current volume level or the mute switch. It's night over there and I hope I did not wake up everyone. :) Tested on iPad 2.

That said, great update!

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #146 Guise, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Excellent update. Is there a way to access Game Center in-game? Can't seem to find one.

EDIT:
    Also, do we need to beat our previous best scores on Easy and Normal for it to register on Game Center? OF lists all scores for all modes but GC continues to say that I've no score on those modes. Thanks in advance for any info.

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I can't see myself getting supermassive in Supermassive mode. Not even close. It's way too crowded. But I really like the new Tunnels mode. It's great to play this little gem again.

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I see the same bug. I'm also running it on an iPad 2. Also, why doesn't it support fast app switching? That's a rather odd omission at this point.

Still, this update is awesome and the game is even better on the iPad then it was on the iPhone, where it was already awesome I'm loving this game all over again. I'm still partial to the classic Normal mode, but I like the new modes too, and especially being able to play it in all its glory on the iPad.

Question: how do you unlock the new music? Is it tied to achievements? In particular is it tied to achievements in the new modes?

9. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    whoa, a lot to reply to here! thanks so much everyone for picking up bit pilot again after such a long hiatus :)

Matt33: the way lasers work is that they remove one of your shields for each frame that you are in the laser, so to get the survivor achievement you have to stay in the laser for exactly the number of frames equal to the number of shields you have :)

Guise: right now you can't access game center because everything is built around openFeint, but in the next update i'll add buttons to access game center

sam the lion: this bug has been super annoying for me haha, but im still looking into it. so weird to be just an ipad2 thing

crunc: it is weird right? haha. So I wanted to support fast app switching, but i use open feint for the rankings, and for some crazy reason (i talked to the openFeint people about this), theres absolutely no way to get someones rank twice in a given session. So what that means is if you play the game and get a highscore, you wont see your rank change until the next time you launch the app. Since thats generally the behavior of users it was fine, until fast app switching. with FAS nobody ever closes apps, so potentially the non-rank-update could last for days.. which was pretty unacceptable. I figured since bit pilot users dont generally pause much it would be okay to not have FAS, at least until Open Feint straightens this out .. it is frustrating though. sorry about that :(

also, new music is unlocked with advancing your cumulative score

LivingBackwards: hopefully some announcements soon ;)

Osujxu: awkwardly, I have the high-score in tunnels mode, and i didn't cheat, although i am the developer, so i probably shouldn't be playing vs. the rest of you, at least not so early, since i had a big head start. I generally try to avoid doing this, but I accidentally set the high-score when I was recording press videos for the gameplay..... which means theres actually a video of the run :)

10. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    actually the sound bug is not just ipad2s. i'm using an iphone 4 and have the same issue :( not the best for wanting to play a quick game at work haha

11. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I am so pleased this game has gotten noticed a bit more. its really a perfect game for ios and heaven for lovers of chiptune. The extra space on ipad2 is a godsend.
    i hope this translates into more sales for the dev, he deserves it:)

12. Ssylex

Ssylex Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    Software Engineer
    Alright... I was kind of on the fence on this one, but the video just sold me. The music is amazing! ;D

13. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    so basically what your saying is i would have had the number one ranking? wowww..haha jk. i was wondering, do i have to unlock the wallpapers first before unlocking the other music? if so i think that should probably be changed. also, i think i remember reading in the update description on the front page post that there were two new like backrounds or something? and finally something to think of in other updates are different characters :)

14. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    smes3817: sorry about that! I'll get on figuring out the sound bug soon.

Osujxu: haha, i guess you would have been #1 then :)

assuming you unlocked everything in the normal bit pilot the next unlock would be the new songs. if not though then you will have two wallpapers in the way

the unlock order is:

normal mode
    track B
    track C
    iphone wallpaper 1
    iphone wallpaper 2
    track D
    track E
    track F
    ipad wallpaper

15. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    No worries at all! LOVE the game, just thought I'd let you know it wasn't unique to just ipads in case that helps figure out the bug at all :)

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    It looks like I've got some work to do. I forgot about the wallpapers. It will be kind of weird to unlock the iPhone wallpapers on my iPad, but glad to see that eventually I get one for the iPad too!

17. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Hm, I don't know what happened with my install, but I can't find my wallpapers anymore (I had unlocked everything previous to this install) and it says my next unlock is "outbrk" which I assume is track C, and I had before, of course. Only A and B show up in the menu now. I also am getting crashes now, usually after finishing a round. Is nobody else experiencing these problems?

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Just bought this... game looks freak'n GREAT!!! Can't wait to really get into it... can't play it today... but later on in the week... Ima be ALL OVER THIS ONE!! =oD

19. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I think your watch has more hours on it than mine does. I know how much time you put into so many different games and I simply don't know how you do it. (meant as a compliment ;))

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    lol
    I don't sleep more than 5 hours a night... I've never slept much, ever since I hit puberty. My step mom said I have "self-induced insomnia"... =oP

I also work at a pizza place and through the week we're always dead... All of that combined with 3 daughters that love video games, and a wife that fully supports my gaming habit, and there ya have it! =oD