Universal bit Dungeon (by KintoGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    #301 jsrco, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Its a piece of cloth, or a high score, or a degree on a wall that mean the exact same thing. They are not achieving something different. Whether you get a high score, ending, or whatever term for 'video game' terminology you want to use - the end result is being accomplished just the same as everyone else becuase they can choose to spend the money and get there faster and easier. Yes they are playing by their rules, but not having a level playing field is agitating enough that I lose enjoyment out of it. Its not the same as using a cheat code - becuase that is embedded in the initial sale.

It obvious that neither one of us is going to sway the other. But this is one way that I can express discontent at these types of sales models and the developers can see it.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Yeah, I think that's right. I don't have any trouble ignoring leaderboards just as I ignore IAP that I don't want. Bit Dungeon doesn't even have leaderboards, does it? They wouldn't make much sense in this game, regardless.

3. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    No. The end result is having played the game. Whether the screen flashes YOU WIN at someone else whom you think didn't deserve it, who cares? Without IAP, suppose someone whom you don't know jailbreaks their phone and gives themselves a million coins and then make themselves uberpowerful and play the whole game with no challenges. Does that really ruin the game for you, because they choose to do that?

It seems like you're saying that you can't enjoy a game without some external validation that says, you win, good for you, you're better than that guy who didn't win. I guess that just seems really strange to me. I play the game because I enjoy playing the game. Whether I'm better or worse than someone else is irrelevant. What they achieve and how it compares to what I achieve is irrelevant. If they cheat or they enjoy the game more by purchasing IAP to make the game easier, it doesn't affect me one bit. I'm glad they have a way to make the game more enjoyable for themselves.

I think you should try looking at it my way. :cool:

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    This game has a leaderboard and can be played for that competitive 'validation.' So I think you should look at it my way. :p

5. Naetalis

Naetalis Member

Jan 24, 2013
    But what does that competitive "validation" get you at the end of the day? I think you're missing his point. It's not like you're winning real money, or a new car or anything of any real value than a bigger gamer ego. Methinks you should rethink your priorities..

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What a silly, silly post. Leader boards are in video games because people like competing on them. So you don't, who cares? The fact is IAP of this type renders them a mockery. Competing on leader boards adds excitement and replay value for many gamers. What does playing a game at all do for you. Maybe you should just stop wasting your time playing them and making ridiculous posts about them on forums since you seem to think nothing is worthwhile unless it earns you money or a car ;)

7. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    OK, I see now that the top player of bit Dungeon has reached level 9,223,372,036,854,775,807. This is certainly going to dramatically change my view of how I play the game and my enjoyment of it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Unfortunately, I still think it's depressing that anyone would be so wrapped up in their position on some leaderboard that it bothers them that someone else is having fun with a game in a manner they don't approve of.

8. Naetalis

Naetalis Member

Jan 24, 2013

Lol, feel free to call it silly, perhaps it is in this current arena of "gamer validation." Ill take note of my rank on leader boards don't get me wrong and I might congratulate myself personally when I score rather high, but it's not because I feel I've really achieved something monumental or worthwhile, but that I've managed to make a dent in all those above me that might happen to cheat or remove themselves from mainstream society to get there. Yay me. Happy gaming my friend

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I will because it is. Reread your post. You basically said that leader boards in general are pointless and that someone shouldn't worry if one is ruined by IAP boosts of some sort being added to a game. Regardless of your personal feelings on leader boards, the fact is people like them. That's why they've been in video games for decades. It's flat out idiocy to tell someone to get their priorities straight because they care that a developer turned a leader board into a joke.

10. DaviddesJ

Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    There could be some exceptions, but I'm pretty confident that only a very tiny fraction of people who buy and play bit Dungeon even notice the leaderboard, and only a tiny fraction of those would care at all if some people are buying IAP and others aren't.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Possibly. TBH, the leader board thing isn't what kills it for me. It kills things like shmups (see Phoenix HD, formerly one of the best things on iOS, now just another freemium title), where leaderboards are a vital, core component. It's just that factor combined with the cheapened feel of a game with consumable IAP makes it less special, less likely to make it through my next space clearing. I'm not going to write the devs hatemail or rage about them ruining a game I spent a buck or whatever it is on. It's just a shame is all. It was a nice little game (worth well more than a buck to me) that now doesn't quite provide that same experience or feeling.

12. KintoGames

KintoGames Active Member

Dec 15, 2012
    I want to added more levels, enemies, and bosses to this game. As of now, it does not sell very much, I can not justify working on it more as it its now.

When the game first came out it was selling awesome, I would never have to make it free to play, but now it is not.

When I made it free to play for one day, it had 36k downloads in one day.

It has to go free to play with IAP in order for me to add any more content to the game/ continue to support it.

I could make the leader board, once you die your off it, soul or not. That way its not pay to win.

I am trying to add Iphone5 support as well. =)

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Why not work on Bit Dungeon 2?

14. KintoGames

KintoGames Active Member

Dec 15, 2012
    I am, I will have a preview of that soon. It has multiplayer! =)

15. Aye-Beast

Aye-Beast Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm sad to hear its not selling as well as it should but I was happy to buy it and iap.

Really excited to hear you're making a sequel though :D

16. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Cute game, controls don't feel quite right (cardinal quest did this style better) and the way you 'open' chests is extremely aggravating.

As for the switch on an iPhone, it is NOT a 'mute' switch, it is only a 'ringer off' switch that most apps consider a mute. Music, YouTube, etc, will ignore this switch, as will obviously the alarm clock.

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I regret to hear the decision to make bit Dungeon free to play; although I understand the logic. Hopefully that can be done in a manner that will not diminish the enjoyment for those of us who've appreciated and paid for the release previously.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

iPhone 5 support update live!!!

THANK YOU DEVS!!!

19. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld