Universal Birk's Adventure (by Donut Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    didn't like VI back in the days, and after playing this one a couple of hours, i can tell you that BA is much better than VI, more like a metroidvania (not in the T&G way though), and although it has the same ui, the game is overall faster and more playable.

ColeDaddy likes this.
  2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    My favorite is Traps&Gemstones as well. I own pretty much all games from this dev except Cat Physics.:oops: And by judging by the activity in its thread I really can’t figure out why I’ve never tried that game. Anyway, I didn’t have time to play Birk’s Adventure yet, but definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully, if I give you guys an advantage of day or so, you can help me when I get stuck. Which I sense is gonna happen sooner or later.;)

3. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow of all their titles not to have, Cat Physics is the one haha? Take a look at the community and thread here around that game. It’s enormous and still active to this day. I definitely recommend picking it up for sure if you’re remotely interested in their other titles.

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @smes3817 did you even read what I wrote? I’m aware of that game’s thread activity and I admit I’m ashamed I didn’t try it yet.:oops: Well, I’m definitely about to.. it’s a promise.;)

5. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry, yes I did but I guess I got a little carried away with my reply and forgot all the context I was replying to. All in good fun and didn’t mean to offend, if I did :)

6. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Yeah I wasn’t there much a fan of Vulture Islands bit love Traps and Gemstones I actually downloaded it again and started playing it a week ago

guys a least post your impressions if you took a code

Attached Files:

7. DonutGames

DonutGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Thanks for the honest feedback!

Yeah, Vulture Island received pretty mixed feedback, in contrast to Traps who everyone seemed to love (Traps actually won GameZebo's Game Of The Year award). We've tried to learn from the mistakes.

The graphics style in Birk is pretty similar to VI as clearly can be seen... I personally love Ola's (Donut's GFX artist) modernized interpretation of "peak 8-bit era" graphics. I grew up with some of the Lite RPG gems of the 8-bit era, e.g. Wonderboy In Monster Land and the Zelda series, so I'm a sucker both for pixel graphics and that kind of gameplay. :)

Though Traps had much better controls than VI, which was slippery and had slow acceleration, so we wanted Birk to build upon quicker and more responsive controls.
    Same goes for Traps' backtracking and overview map that people loved... it's motivating to see P.O.I's appear on your map and try to hunt them down. Birk is much more tilted toward Traps in that sense.

Birk can't be considered a sequel to Traps, not by far. Birk still has its own flavor in many regards, but it should definitely appeal more to Traps fans than VI did.

ColeDaddy and Gwarmaxx like this.
  8. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    anyone, i'm playing and enjoying it a lot... i love the all-in-one main map system (besides dungeon ones, obviously).
    great game guys at Donut!!!

9. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    #29 DonutGames, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Ppl out there, I'm curios... how far into the game are you?

You can see % completed and time played at the title screen.

10. Gwarmaxx

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    2:00.32 hs and 37%

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I didn’t even have a chance to start yet.:oops: Not much of a help, eh?:rolleyes:

12. DonutGames

Patreon Indie

Jul 12, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Will be interesting to see if that can be extrapolated into 6h for 100% or if things turn more difficult (or easier?) at the end.

LOL! Let's see if we still can turn that into some sort of data point... it took you 0:00:00 to complete 0% ;)

macplash likes this.
  13. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Amsterdam
    I played for 3:18:20 and got 69%

During my time there i met a farmer named theodor, the poor man is missing his cows... did they end up floating in space again? I need to know!

DonutGames likes this.
  14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
  15. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Amsterdam
    There are no spoilers tho

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Unordinary is right, there are no spoilers. He's simply referring to the now legendary Cows in Space by none other than Donut Games themselves. :(

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Alright then. So I guess during my play I won’t be subconsciously looking for farmer named theodor that is missing his cows..o_O

18. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for your reply. It was enough to push me to buy it

19. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A new Donut Games game? Why yes, I'll happily buy that.

20. Anchantia

Anchantia Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I have a lot of Switch games here to play. So this game have to wait. But I‘m a simple man: Whenever a new Donut Game drop out, I push the BUY button. Simple as that.

Apropos Switch: I REALLY want to have all Donut Games on it. Are there any chances? Maybe you can work together with Ratalaika?