Universal Bio Crisis [Sphinx Entertainment]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Jun 30, 2012.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Aaaaalright. I just now hit Mission 18 and have yet to replay a level or purchase ammo or health...

Oh well...

Chalk it up as a loss if you must... I'm fully enjoying the game without it feeling freemium at all...

Again, I'm not wasting ammo every chance I get, and am using weapons that best fit the situation...

Whatever... THANK YOU SPHINX!! You rock, this rocks, thank you for a great cover based shooter to add to my very small collection. =oD

2. ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    E-Discovery data technician
    Southern California
    Sorry synthetic... #I just hate the possibility of paying $3 for a game, getting stuck with no ammo (which is pretty important in a cover shooter) and being forced to shell out real cash to get more. It's nice that there's a knife to use in those situations, but I guess it's the principle of then being at a disadvantage the dev intentionally created. It just sort of smacks of greed. You have my money, now give me the FULL experience.

Glad to hear the IAPs aren't as aggressive as some other devs though...

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    And I understand that, and I feel the same way... But this ISN'T one of those games...

You earn more than enough money by killing enemies to purchase ammo if you do happen to blast 100 rounds into the air while not paying attention, or to buy health if you wind up running into a group of enemies like an idiot instead of using the barrier right next to you for cover, and need to spend 300 gold on a quick health regen if you don't want to roll out of the way, and wait a whole 15 seconds for your health to regenerate on its own...

Ur loss...
    It's a great cover based shooter.

4. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    #24 The Son of Anarchy, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    I'd already picked this one up but didn't get into it immediately so I wrote it off... Synthetic has convinced me to pick it up again and try it out properly... thanks Mate, this is the second time your comments have made me retry a game that I maybe didn't give a fair go first time round #

Aaaand... you're right, once I started treating it like the cover shooter it is (and stopped trying to go Rambo on everyone's ass) the gameplay started to shine through and it finally clicked with me. Not only is playing strategically a hellova lot more fun, but the iap's fail to be an issue at all. Thanks again for making me swing my eyes back to this, and for turning my loss into a win...

5. theteamster

theteamster Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I thank Syntheticvoid for the kind words on our game, truly!

Like he said, the game is not about crashing into enemies' party and start kicking asses. I mean, you could, if you choose to buy coins and do so. But you can still cover and shoot your way out of missions as well. If you upgrade your machine gun to lvl 2, it will only take 3-5 shots to kill an enemy let alone more powerful weapons like rockets and laser guns.

We know well that there are problems and things we need to fix to make it better and we are working on fixing it right now as hard as we could.

We truly thank everybody's opinions about this game and we will listen closely to every suggestions and try to make it work!!

6. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Most Paidmium games become Free or .99 cents after a few weeks anyway.

The formula doesn't work for me and in this case is killing the game.

The game looks Great and could have hit the top 100 easily.

Blasting through levels and using lots of ammo is what I consider fun.

Paying for coins is not.

7. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Bio Crisis, what can I say, one hell of a cover based shooter that excites and challenges all players.

First off, this reminds me of an 8-bit version of Shadowgun, with all the excitement and challenge, less the 3D graphics, but wait, that's not a bad thing at all.

Syntheticvoid covered most of the game, but I can and will attest, this is one fun shooter. For me, I particularly like the 8-bit retro graphics and sound, reminds me of the old school days of gaming. How the atmosphere is presented to gameplay, brings back fond memories of 8-bit gaming.

Sound, top notch and fits the theme of the game. From gun shots, to the all satisfying barrel explosions, makes you feel that you are in the heat of battle.

Control, impressive, from movement to shooting all so satisfying. The only drawback (does not detract from the game) is pulling away from cover (IMHO), little slow, but does not hamper gameplay at all. Buttons (shoot and roll) are responsive and during heated battles, really assist you.

Gameplay, fun, fun, and oh yeah, fun! Cover based shooting, whilst strategizing on your next kill. As stated, a mix of Shadowgun blended with Ikari Warriors of past.

Suggestions, could use a tap to target, or possibly a cover/uncover button. I reiterate, these suggestions in any way hamper the current game, just thoughts that could improve a spectacular game.

Overall, worth the price and more. I have been captivated by the action and gameplay, in reality, can't put this down. Brings back so much fond memories and having a blast, sorry pun intended.

4.5/5

8. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Since this is now .99 I will give it a try.

9. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    It also received an update containing 'adjusted difficulty'. Had a quick play and it does seem more forgiving.

10. InfectiousRed

InfectiousRed Active Member

Jun 22, 2012
    I was about to buy since it went down to $1, but reading about the overuse of the paymium model here and on the app store, I'll pass.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont normally believe the app store reviews, syntheticvoid has been playing it tons and is a regular here, i've downloaded this and havent had to buy any IAP's. Some games have what i call them 'lite IAP's' , eg there are IAP's but you arent forced to use them, i would say its the same here.

Plus at the end of the day its a buck, its well worth it

12. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    #32 poppichicken, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Wow - I can't believe the negative attitude towards this game's IAP!
    It really is the least intrusive IAP I've seen in any recent game.

I've managed to collect every medal, complete every mission, upgrade every weapon, and all without the aid of IAP. The game gives you lots of in-game currency, and ammo is in plentiful supply. And best of all, it's an absolutely brilliant game!

It reminds me of an old Amiga game called Warzone (by a very young Core Design), though Bio Crisis is a lot better, and thankfully a fair bit easier as well. The controls are rock-solid, the level design is superb, and it's just a really fun game to play.

Seriously folks, those of you sitting on the fence because of the IAP, just take the plunge if this type of game interests you. It is absolutely outstanding, and I'm astonished that it isn't enjoying more success.

13. theteamster

Jun 3, 2010
    Thank you for the great words Poppichicken!!!

As the game's developer, I played the whole game without iAPs too :), but I didn't manage to get all the medals like you did, great job!

14. ben starks

ben starks Member

Jul 9, 2012
    yes the iap is indeed left field.
    i think people are just complaining about the simple fact that it HAS iap.. which is pretty ridiculous as this is a nice game.

15. spree2k

spree2k Member

Aug 3, 2011
    It's a great game... Also if you're very skilled with your strategy, you can knife enemies and save loads of ammo while making a huge amount of in-game cash. I acturally have an overload of in-game currency because of this, so there's no reason I'd need to use the IAP. This game is really the ultimate test of patience, and the difficulty makes it that much more fun. I'm really having no issues with it whatsoever. The bosses take a while to kill, but once again, I enjoy that the boss battle feels like a struggle. I paid an extra 99 cents on an auto-revive ONCE just for the sake of supporting the game, and that's really the only time I used the IAP. Everyone should really give this game a shot. :0

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hmm... Definitely interested by this one... How long does it take to complete?

17. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    great game, really, i'm also enjoying it without any IAP... good work devs!

18. theteamster

Jun 3, 2010
    woot~~ thank you guys for the great words!!!

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Played the first level and the game pro idea to be lotof fun.
    However, as of the explanation of the auto,aric switch to knife ..l the knife never showed up even if I was attached to an enemy and the aiming box has never come back. So I was left with just running to the end of the level as only option :confused:

20. theteamster

Jun 3, 2010
    Huh, i think that was one big thing our dev team left out on this new update, the icon supposed to switch to knife when you are close enough to an enemy and perform knife attacks, damn it! lol. I guess we will add it on along with other options later in the updates, sorry and thank you for pointing out the issue!!!