iPad Billy Frontier - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 3Dave, Aug 29, 2008.

1. 3Dave

3Dave Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2008
    Senior Artist/Animator
    Monroe, WA
    I bought Billy Frontier last night and played quite a bit of it. I think that it's a good game overall, and one that you can "wow" your friends with, in terms of graphics. That being said, I have my doubts as to whether or not it has features needed to keep you playing on those long, late-night cattle drives.

The Good
    - Pretty solid controls.
    I really don't have any complaints about the controls, other than the fact that the "offset reticle" option should be "off" by default.​
    - Four game types (two of which are pretty fun)
    While Stampede and Shootout offer a fair bit of fun, Target Practice and Duel require little thought or skill from the user.​
    - Polished graphics.
    This is one of those games you're going to want to show to your friends who don't have iPhones to make them jealous.​
    - Solid animations for characters.
    Some great death animations by the alien cowboys, and Billy looks great as he runs from the stampede.​
    - Above average sound.
    Gunshots sound like gunshots... what more do you need!​

The Bad
    - Lack of variety.
    While there are 8 "levels," there are really only four game types, with half being set in a "town" location, and the other half in a "swamp" location. Target Practice and Duel last a few minutes at most.​
    - Limited interaction in two game types.
    As mentioned above, Target Practice and Duel require very little from the user, and can get boring very quickly.​
    - No story (Why am I a cowboy? Why am I fighting aliens? Why are the cows half lizard?)
    This game could have really used a cutscene and some story elements to make it feel like a complete package instead of just a collection of mini-games.​

The Ugly
    - The price is right, for now... However when this game goes up to $6.00, I can see some people getting a bit frustrated with paying that price for a somewhat shallow game.

At first glance, Billy Frontier seems to be a AAA title, with sharp graphics and sound, and some good humor. However if you dig a bit deeper into the game, you'll find that the game is actually a bit shallow, especially once the price jumps to $6.00. The inclusion of an actual story, or even some simple cutscenes that connected the mini-games together would have helped out a great deal. As it stands now, you'll have a nice tech demo to show off to your friends, but once you've played the game a dozen times, you probably won't be coming back for more.

2. slomper

slomper Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    yeah

i wish there was a story line to it then i might play it more

3. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm sure they'll update it to make it better...
    I hope they do soon, at least, because although I do agree it's fun, I also agree it has barely any lasting value, too. At least $3 was better than $6...

4. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    It just feels like the game was rushed out after they finished with the graphics and sound. I don't see myself coming back to this game very often, and the same can be said for Cro-Mag Rally, which I haven't gone back to play very much. Pangea Software has the talent to make great games, but they need to exercise a bit more patience and focus more on gameplay than presentation.

5. QQQ

QQQ Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Im really frustrated with this game.
    Pointless, slow fps, wierd (ugly) design.

Controls are OK/BAD, i mean why i cant move the aim with one finger then shoot with other one?
    Why i have to press arrows to turn my head instead of use the accelerometer?
    Why i have to look and tape stupid symbols for 3 min instead of watching the duel introduction THEN enter symbol combo to beat other.

It just dont worth 3$

6. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    The settings screen looks like it was ripped from another app completely. It is a nicely polished set of games otherwise, but ultimately short lived.

7. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    #7 wilson, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
    the game totaly messed up my ipod and gave me big problems, ayone else hav this problem?

8. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    Have you tried rebooting?

9. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    #9 wilson, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
    yes twice,it like completly killed my ippod did things i thought couldent happen :/

my advice to everyone is to download it now while its cheeper if u want it, then put it on your ipod but to not enter and / or, use the application until the update and fix the bug

10. nanokiwi

nanokiwi Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    teacher
    New Zealand
    My ipod touch crashed out for the first time in its 6 month life
    It was the evening of installing Billy Frontier but I could not say for sure if it was this app that was the source of my problems. . .

- Apps stopped working- went to loading screen then crashed back to menu
    - All music/movies lost from ipod at next sync (this may have been due to the two button restart I tried on the ipod

doing a restore now

11. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    yes nanokiwi the exact samething happend to me, its for sure this app, look out ppl

12. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

No, it is definitely NOT this app. The same happened to my with other 3rd-party apps like cannon challenge and Asphalt 4. It's definitely the broken Firmware 2.0.2 and iTunes. Others report that after syncing with iTunes the error occurs. Or with other apps. Just take a look at the support forums at Apple. There are tons of postings regarding this issue. Most report that the error does not occur when you use an older iTunes version, but most "solutions" sound like vodoo.

Currently, I have to restore my iPhone EVERY SINGLE DAY, because of the problem with missing media and 3rd party apps crashing on startup or with the problem of hanging while booting. Both problems are the result of errors in iTunes, the sync mechanisms or the firmware, but NOT of the 3rd party apps.

Steve Jobs confirmed to solve this with 2.1 in september.

13. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    k so itryed playing billy fronteif again and none of my apps did this and how does synching and i tunes hav anything to do with this, i play billy frontier then i play some other app and it freezez then i go to reboot it anf it just stay s in the booting up screen..the apple of death just stairing at me..

so i hav to wate for it to restore again but wat realy pisses me of is that pangea software witch is giving me all the problems DOESENT EVEN TRY TO FIX THE FUCKING BUG THEY JUST SAY oh ya just reboot it and its all good. NO. and if it is the firmware they should make a new 1 because i have version 2.1.1

14. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah I agree pretty much, except with the story portion. You don't need a well thought out story on a simple game like this. Good thing that they didn't include cutscene because that would suck so bad. I don't want to spend even a minute on a cutscene some story off of this type of game.

15. johnbowers

johnbowers Active Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Student/Undergraduate Researcher
    Florida
    #15 johnbowers, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
    That definitely sounds like a firmware problem. In ANY operating system, running user-level programs should never be able to affect other non-related user-level programs. The OS is supposed to protect them from each other. The iPhone claims to do even more than that by putting the application into what they call a "sandbox." The basic idea is that each app gets to play in its own sandbox but cannot touch other sandboxes. The fact that the game is causing other apps to fry is most definitely Apple's fault, as there should be no way a developer could do this if he wanted to. My guess is that this is caused by some artifacts building up in the VRAM which aren't being correctly cleared on application exit. I've already seen such things: launch an OpenGL based game like StarSmasher, play it for a minute, then launch Radius. After Radius's loading screen you'll see (for just a moment) a glimpse of the last thing you were playing.

Now, it may be that Billy is not clearing out the VRAM like it could but the iPhone OS doesn't appear to be doing its job on app exit.

As for it being just this app: let's, for the sake of example, claim that this is in fact a problem in the VRAM not being cleared correctly by the iPhone OS. It might be that this only happens in games that use close to the maximum amount of VRAM. So Billy will have this problem but xxSudoku Solver Awesomexx, which basically uses none of the graphics capabilities, won't.

My 2c.

16. wilson

wilson Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Canada, ON
    #16 wilson, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
    so what your saying is that billy frontier is close to the limmet of witch the iphone can handle so that causes it to crash and that it is joining with other applications?

well anyway i mite hav run ito a similer problem with asphalt4 because its a pretty iphone intence game too but not often

cant they just make it so that the game is by itself or does it just have to be in the firmware to seperate all the games. they also said that it was because i dont turn my ipod on and off enough that does something to it and i have alot of applications, would that have something to do with it?and is this problem avoidable with the current firmware