iPad Bike or Die Complants

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rockey04, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

#1 Rockey04, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    Bike or Die is fun but there are a few problems.

There is not tilt control.
    There is no way to turn off auto rotate.
    There is no level editor like the palm version.

Overall it seems a little unpolished but it is a great game for the price.
    I WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS!!!

2. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    - I'm personally glad there's no tilt/accelerometer controls. Not necessary in my opinion
    - Auto rotate? Not sure what that is. You're not talking about the bike rotation option in the config options are you? Because that can be changed.
    - Level editor? There's 2500 levels....

3. toyspring

toyspring New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    hi, i'm the creator of the game and here are the answers :)

TILT CONTROL
    i tried using accelerometer to control BoD, but it is a disaster. games with analog control work fine this way because there is an immediate response for each slight movement. in BoD we have those on/off ("digital") controls and there is no natural feedback on how much tilt is required to trigger the specific action. i tried adding the artificial feedback indicator, which helped a lot (and i was able to complete a level finally) but it was still a nightmare. this game just needs buttons...

AUTO ROTATE (i assume you mean the standard iphone behavior of adjusting the user interface to the physical orientation)
    option to disable automatic rotation will be added in the nearest update

LEVEL EDITOR
    you are right, we need a level editor which does not require a palm device. i'm still not sure if it is possible to use the iphone touch screen (and fingers...) for such precise work, but if not, then it will be done as a desktop application. either way, the level editor will be available for everyone.

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Cheers

:D
    I'd just like to thank you personally for providing literally hundreds of hours of entertainment on my Palm T|X!

Thank you so much for porting this to the iPhone! I was pleasantly surprised to see the original levels are the same! Please keep up the good work!

5. Rockey04

thanks for the reply!

Have you tried the free game called Jelly Car for iPhone. It uses tilt. Try it. It works great.
    You could do an option in the settings to turn tilt on.
    I always try to tilt when I do it accidentally. That is one of the reasons I wanted auto rotate off.

By the way, this is a great game!!!
    I love games with such good support!
    Thanks for reading!

6. (klondike)

(klondike) Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    How do you download more levels? When I click the link it takes me to the website but when I touch the little thing that looks like an arrow pointing down at a phone it says that the URL is restricted. Am I supposed to click somewhere else? I need help.

7. Rockey04

I just tapped the download button and it asked if i would like to download and play or just download. Are you pressing the correct button???

8. (klondike)

Aug 23, 2008
    I don't know what is the correct button?

9. Rockey04

It is in the download column. You press the link and it downloads.

10. (klondike)

Aug 23, 2008
    Whenever I press that on my iPhone a pop up box comes up that says the URL is restricted and the download doesn't start.

11. (klondike)

Aug 23, 2008
    Okay I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now it's working. Thanks for the help Rockey04.

12. Rockey04

thats odd
    try a different level pack
    if it doesn't work ask the developer because i dont know any more than you
    (try to pm him or something)

13. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    The rider dies too easily, even if his hand touches an obstacle he dies. What ever happened to handle bars?

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Seriously. And what's up with the rubber bike frame? I thought bicycle frames were generally rigid. [/sarcasm]

I bought this game because the screenshits reminded me of an old motocross flash game I used to play, but it's nothing like that. It's WAY to easy to die, impossible to control (too easy to flip, too hard to maintain a wheelie) and the bike is WAY too flexible.

I've tried to give it time to grow on me, but I hate it just as much (if not more so) now than when I first tried it. I'll leave feedback in iTunes as soon as I get home, but in the meantime I recommend avoiding this one.

15. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    I love Bike or Die2, but then I'm used to these games being challenging. The one I've played most is the free XMoto http://xmoto.tuxfamily.org/ tried that?

16. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Dude, that's it! I LOVE that game.

Frankly, I don't know how you can even compare the two. Xmoto is in a different league in terms of handling and playability. I bought BoD2 expecting something like Xmoto and was SORELY disappointed. :(

17. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I'd second the "too easy to die" thing, merely driving into an object at what i would think is moderate speed caused the guy to die, which i would think would have just bounced him off the object being a rubber tire and all :D

Also a little too hard to flip the guy around, it seems as though he refuses to rotate once in a while, leaving him in a position he can't land, which causes him to die when he inevitably lands on his head.

18. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Yes! I must say it's quite annoying not having complete control over the rider. I've failed countless times near the end of a level because of this. I think it still needs some work to be honest

19. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Some people seem to think the game loses it's value because it's hard to control.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but for some reason the insanely hard controls are what makes the game so flipping fun! The crazy controls is what keeps me playing. I keep telling myself I'll try once more and I end up finishing 2 more levels afterwards.

Black Mamba Racer is the same thing. It was getting complaints because it always skids and it's too hard to control. I find myself playing the game for a while, getting frustrated and then playing later to try to beat the level again.

I just can't agree with some of the complaints on this game. I think they make the game better! I LOVE this game (although, an option to adjust the controls to users who want to change them wouldn't hurt at all) :)

20. I'm gonna have to concur with the sentiments about it being too difficult. At first I thought it was just me and it would take some time to get use to. However, having played it again and again it is way too sensitive and the bike needs to be a tad more rigid and not stretch like a rubber band. I was under the impression this was like Dirt Bike, xmoto and the pc game I played in 1999. It's way too hard. Perhaps this is a game for hackers by hackers? Tons of hall of fame stuff and see my replay I did this. Good for you I just wanna play and pass the levels and don't care for showing off. After trying a level 50 times and not being able to pass it kinda make you wanna stop playing the game which is exactly what I've done. It'll definitely be worth it if it was made easier but perhaps it is how it's supposed to be. I don't regret purchasing it but definitely don't think it's a game that can be enjoyed by the masses with it's current difficulty in control the bike.