Universal Bike Baron 2 (by Mountain Sheep, Mureena and Cornfox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 26, 2021.

1. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    Version 1.0.5 is live.

It introduces CPU side optimization by removing unused physics shapes from the physics simulation. Less green shapes = better performance. Basically, the optimizer automatically goes through the level and discards anything that doesn't contribute to the so-called "gameplay layer" (which is the depth where the bike travels):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're almost done with version 1.0.6, which will bring more GPU optimizations.

TicTac, GPS and Anotherkellydown like this.
  2. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Played the latest update.. runs really smooth, still got warm, but took much longer than before. It still does chew through battery.. from full to empty in about approximately 35 to 45 mins of play, ( broken up, with nothing else done on the device in between..iPod gen7).
    Also played in Potato mode.
    Great game though!

TicTac likes this.
  3. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Down to 3.99.

4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, kind of annoyed that we got to test out the heating issues and it dropped this fast. :(

5. BazizzleHizzle

BazizzleHizzle Active Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    The evolution of the reactions in this thread have been a fascinating read as I’ve been mulling over picking this up with today’s price drop. I feel the pain of those who paid in full for an app needing patches only to watch the price drop after the fixes are in place. I’ve been in that spot so many times. Luck of the draw that it wasn’t this time too. I’m grateful to read everyone’s thoughts, comparisons & input, and it’s always gratifying to see a developer jump into the conversations on here, mad love to Timo for being on point.

Like I said, I empathize so I know it’s a teeth-grinder that hurts a little, but just remember this my friends: the pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their backs!

solarnya and GPS like this.
  6. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    How's the battery life after the new update? I've been busy and haven't had time to sit down and play the game.

7. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Seems to be much better.. haven’t had time to play a lot, but the 10 minutes I did put in, it only drained a couple of percent instead of about 15 to 20 percent.

TicTac likes this.
  8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Something happened with 1.0.6 that COMPLETELY fixed EVERYTHING that was happening with the game. There’s no slowdown, no heating (beyond normal heating) and regular battery drain. It took a while, an unfortunate (for early adopters) price-drop and a lot of frustration, but I can’t recommend this enough now. I don’t know if the price-drop is a permanent change to the regular price, but 100% get on this now.

Just for clarification, I don’t have Potato Mode on, and have just slid the render slider so that it’s on the same level as the default volume sliders, and the game is running spectacularly now.

9. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Does anyone know what the 3 buttons at the top do? I can't for the life of me figure out how they work. The right button looks like it restarts the level but pressing it occasionally brings you back to the last checkpoint. The top middle button, which looks like a rewind button that takes you back to the previous checkpoint, sometimes restarts the level instead.

The top left button looks simple enough - it supposedly brings you back to the level select screen. But even that is inconsistent - if you press it after a crash you go back to the previous checkpoint instead. I can't even.

Is there some hidden logic to these buttons? All I want is to be able to consistently restart the level while doing the unscathed and time attack stars.

edit: oh and the 'hitbox' of these buttons are a tad too small too, so I sometimes have to tap it multiple times to get it to work... only to return to the last checkpoint.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    LMAO! Yeah, it's all about the hitboxes. The top left button takes you to the level select screen, the newly-permanently-fastened button in the middle restarts the entire level and the top left button restarts you at the last checkpoint. It's as simple as that, but you have to be suuuuuuuper accurate tapping the buttons. I'm not sure, but I suspect generally tapping in that entire upper vicinity will just restart at the latest checkpoint. Since you're playing like I am, what you want to do is focus all your energy (and multiple missed taps) on the middle button. :p

EDIT: Other than that, just have to restate that 1.0.6 is an absolute wonder of an update. I cannot put this effing game down anymore. :)

TicTac likes this.
  11. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Hitboxes are the bane of my existence lol. I had over 220 hours in BB1 and I’m still occasionally missing the left/right buttons even now Wish they could give us adjustable ones for us, for example they can keep the size of the on screen buttons but let us scale up their hitboxes in settings.

And yeah the battery life is pretty good now, am able to play in 20 minute sessions without significant heating or loss of battery. Still working my way through the levels, once you get past the performance issues it’s truly a fantastic game.

metalcasket likes this.
  12. Vittal02

Vittal02 New Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Male
    It’s still heating up while playing, until it was uncomfortable to hold with the heat. I’m on iPhone 11, ios 14.6. It heated up while playing on the level “stacks” and frames dropped pretty badly.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Are you on 1.0.6 of BB2? Stacks was always the culprit of both framedrops and both battery heat and drain prior to that last update.

14. Vittal02

Vittal02 New Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Male
    Yes I’m on 1.0.6 of BB2. Has this issue been fixed?

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #55 metalcasket, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Well, if you're still having issues then I would say most certainly not!

16. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Heads up, there is no icloud support for this game so you will lose save data when transferring phones. I'm not even sure if it's possible to back up the game in any way as I've lost all save data even when doing a phone to phone transfer.

17. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    It seems like this one is cursed ,or something.

18. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    The lack of care put into this one has been frankly disappointing. I still have my save data from BB1 after 10 years through multiple phones, never had an issue with major bugs or overheating. Going to put this game on hold for a bit as I can't be bothered to start from 0 all over again.