Universal Bike Baron 2 (by Mountain Sheep, Mureena and Cornfox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 26, 2021.

1. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    There's a new patch waiting for approval. It addresses iPhone X performance issues among other things (the version number is 1.0.3)

Also be sure to update to iOS 14.6, iOS 14.5.1 had severe performance problems at least on my iPhone 11. (similar to those mentioned on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/beware-ios-14-5-1-is-throttling.2294990/ )

We didn't have every iOS device in our testing arsenal so there may be some devices where the settings are not yet optimal, the game should be able to hit 60 fps once the performance profiles are tuned appropriately.

Here's my old (2016) iPhone 7 running Bike Baron 2 at close to 60 fps using PS5 Dualsense controller:

iPhone 11 gameplay:

btw. metalcasket: what iOS version are you running?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the update. I had a feeling that it was a bug of some kind. If it helps, I’m on an iPhone 12 Pro with the latest iOS and performance is far from optimal.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Any update coming to address heating problems?

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I’m currently on 14.5.1 and in the process of updating to 14.6 (which, to be honest, I completely missed…so thank you for that!)

5. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    #25 TicTac, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Not sure if this helps but I was already on 14.6 before downloading the game. I have an 11 pro max. Still having severe overheating issues

Edit: just updated to the latest version, heating issues still there. Willing to be patient for a fix but starting to feel a little disappointed tbh.

6. ZacBobisKing

ZacBobisKing Active Member

May 12, 2021
    Male
    Does it have a level editor like bike baron 1?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just downloaded the latest patch. Performance is still terrible. Or I should say, inconsistent.

I’m deleting and reinstalling to see if that makes a difference.

8. langelc1977

langelc1977 Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I have IPhone 12 Pro with latest update runs terribly it ran better before I updated really want to get into this please fix ASAP!

9. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    #29 GPS, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Thought I’d give this a try on my gen 7 iPod, very first run was a bit stuttery but after that it’s been pretty faultless. It warmed up a little but nothing outrageous. Game design and graphics are beautiful! Great stuff.
    Edit: it does run the battery down crazy fast though. Gone from 90% to 22% after about 30-40 minutes.

10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I almost picked this up, then I saw you have the exact same setup as I do. I’m ready to purchase the second I hear things are sorted out.

TicTac likes this.
  11. TimoVihola

Mar 26, 2009
    Version 1.0.4 is now waiting for review. It brings new content and should help with performance problems!

Here's the full change list:

- 4 new levels:
    [​IMG]
    [Frozen Blocks is one of them]

- Optimized performance on all devices.
    - New low-power mode aka "potato mode" in settings menu.
    - Significant performance improvements on iPhone 12 Pro Max and other large resolution iPhones.
    - Remember the state of the online competitions that have ended.
    - Main menu shows 12 online leaderboard entries instead of 5.
    - Online competitions show player's own time in checkpoints.
    - Settings menu slider handles are easier to grab.
    - Added missing language translations.
    - Various bug fixes.

We managed to finally get our hands on iPhone 12 Pro Max so that should perform better. If heating seems to still be an issue in longer play sessions I suggest turning on this new "potato mode" aka low-battery mode. It turns off some of the fill-rate heavier features like bloom and depth of field:

[​IMG]

12. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Cool

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I took a chance and bought the game as soon as I saw @TimoVihola post above, in order to compare the game between 1.0.3 and 1.0.4. I can report that with 1.0.3 there are definitely issues on iPhone XS. Performance goes from buttery smooth to an absolute crawl, right back to buttery smooth all within the span of a few seconds…even within the same level. It’s crazy. Also, there is definitely significant heat being produced and major battery drain. Pretty much identical to what @GPS is experiencing. I’m curious (and stoked) to see how this ends up post-1.0.4. Hopefully this all works out!

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Update’s out! Performance on XS with Potato Mode is SILKY smooth. Still appears to be some heat produced around the camera area and I’m monitoring battery drain, but there’s a world of difference in terms of being able to play the game.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Way better on my iPhone 12 Pro.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, performance issues, for the most part, regardless of Potato Mode, seem to have been sorted out and the game works like a dream. :)

@TimoVihola I’ve noticed battery drain and heat are mostly the same whether in Potato Mode or not. Like, the difference is minuscule. Either way we’re looking at ~50% battery for ~30 minutes of play. Might I suggest taking that extra step, locking Potato Mode in 30 FPS and calling it a day? That way, folks get the intended experience with it off, and a truly potato experience with it on. ;) I recall back in the day with 10ton titles (such as Neon Chrome) that were not the most graphically intensive, yet came with bells and whistles that impacted battery in a similar way and ran at 60 FPS, forcing games into 30 FPS would make a world of difference on heat/drain.

TicTac likes this.
  17. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
  18. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Just updated, heating issues have mostly disappeared. Still runs slightly warm but I can live with it. Can finally play the game now!

I have a feature request though, one thing that has always bothered me about BB1 was the size of the left/right buttons. They’re a tad too small and there were many a times I’ll fail to correctly press left or right leading to crashes :/ Can you give us adjustable options to resize them to our liking?

metalcasket likes this.
  19. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#39 Anotherkellydown, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Alright, here we go! I’ll let ya’ll know how it’s working on my iPhone 11 Pro Max once the download is complete and I have some time to play it.

Edit:The game is really great! The levels that I’ve seen so far are very cleverly designed; it’s like having Trials in my pocket. No joke.

During my very first run on the very first track, I had one solitary stutter that caused me to crash my bike. After that there were no more issues. Runs buttery smooth with default settings. However, after a little over a half hour I checked the battery and it had drained about 50%. For me that’s the only thing I’ve found that I’d like to see improved. This iPhone 11 has the best battery life (by far) of the three iPhones I’ve owned, so it’s rare that a game would eat up that much after only 1/2 hr.

I played a few of the daily/weekly challenges and they are so cool! One had me stuck for several minutes until I figured out that I had to push a beam up onto and over a ramp to destroy a mine.

Are the online leaderboards for the dailies only or do your points add into that from the regular levels as well? For some reason I’ve been really after this ‘FAITHLESSBYDEFAULT’ fella ;)

20. TimoVihola

Mar 26, 2009
    Great to hear the updates are helping!

We just submitted Version 1.0.5 for approval.

The change list: Improved CPU performance by optimizing the physics simulation. Fixed leaderboard issue and added a fun new level called Shredder:

metalcasket: So would that be a "full potato" mode :p We've got a few more ideas for optimizations that should help quite a bit. If it's not rock-solid after those we might have to go full potato :cool:

TicTac: Resizable buttons would be cool but it can be a bit tricky to test because there are so many different combinations of screen sizes and aspect ratios. But I'll keep that feature in mind.

Anotherkellydown: Only the *Online competitions* section levels are counted in the leaderboards.

TicTac and Anotherkellydown like this.