Universal Big Shot Boxing (By Colin Lane Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Having a blast playing this game, customization would be amazing here,.I would be more than glad paying for it as DLC for the ability to create and name my fighter. Another thing that would be cool and add replayability would be to randomize the rankings in each new career so you face fighters in different order. This would also lessen the effect of having to fight the same 3 or 4 fighters for the rest of your career omce you become champion.

I hope the game does well, the gameplay mechanics are excellent and the fun factor is high. Kudos to the developer for an amazing game.

2. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Randomising the fighters and stats is a good idea as you very quickly get used to certain strategies for certain fighters. It would add some unpredictability to the game.
    Also vote for a customisable fighter.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love that the fights seem quite random. Eg i fought a boxer a few places ahead of me and thought i would get beaten. However i got a lucky punch first round (knocked them out straight away) which was great.

Be nice if you could take the 'career points' and do something with them as i'm unsure what they do. Be nice if there were 'stat points' you could upgrade apart from the ones there ?

Either way its a great game, a lot of fun and its brilliant !

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Career points are used for unlocking boxers when you start a new game, the Tyson and Sugar Ray look alikes are the most expensive ones at 50 career points each.

Totally agree with you, this game is utterly brilliant and love that ypu have that random factor in every fight but you still need to apply a strategy and adapt to your rival.

5. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    #25 ColinL, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback and support folks I really appreciate it, I'm reading every post here and on the appstore, the response has been great.

Customisation will happen, I just need a bit of time to work out how to go about it, I will probably start with just giving the option to change shorts/gloves/boots, then further down the road i'll add a character creator. Maybe its another use for the career points.

There is currently a little bit of randomisation in the table, Fighters move above each other, some are removed and replaced with others. Also when you defend the title enough times new challengers get added to the table to challenge for the belt. I will expand this further as I add more boxers to the game.

Maybe you noticed I added a new guy who replaces Pavel as the first guy you face, I have some amusing plans for this character :D All will be revealed at a later date.

6. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    #26 spooky23, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Damn. So I downloaded this and Prizefighters this evening (not played the latter yet) and Big Shot Boxing is hands down (up) amazing. I played Barry McGuigan's World Championship Boxing back on the Spectrum 48k and Amstrad (I now have it on a C64 emulator). The mood that game created (as simplistic as it was) was great and working through the rankings to be champions was so satisfying. What was really cool was training for fights. I know currently in BSB you add to your skills when you have £ but perhaps this could be expanded on in future? Especially if you could prepare for fights differently. I'm probably asking for too much here (as McGuigan's had a variety of boxing styles to choose from the offset).

What this game does with superior substance when compared to McGuigan's is the fighting itself. It's subtly tactical. You can fight at a distance, back off, go back in, jab jab jab, back off, back in cross jab jab and so on. Really enjoying it.

Do have question - I've noticed that you age. So does this have an impact on your skills deteriorating? Also, what happens when you max out?

Really hoping you support this game for the long term. So much potential here. I think I can finally scratch that McGuigan itch.

edit: Also, I've seen your comment about when you're the champ, challengers change. Good work! Not sure you had much range of defending your title in McGuigan's.

7. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks very much! and I am also a Barry McGuigan's boxing fan, played it on my Amstrad as well. I liked how it was more of a sim feel instead of a comedy slug out. However the lack of control over the movement of the boxer was always a frustrating. I also played a lot of Heavyweight Champ on the Master System, That was a pretty strong influence for Big Shot Boxing.

Unfortunately due to the joints and physics set up I use for the boxers I don't have much freedom to created different styles of boxers. I do like the idea of training mini games, It was something I toyed with during development, definitely something I will re visit in future updates. Currently I'm working on a info box that tells you more about the opponent before you fight them, Im also laying down the foundations for character customisation. I have long term plans to support this game.

Your stats start to deteriorate as you get older, especially after a loss. It can become an interesting time when you are in your mid 40s and you are tying to get one more shot at the title but your coach is trying to advise to to hang up the gloves XD

When you max out the stats they just stay on Max and you can accumulate money to counter the loss of stats as you start to age.

Thanks again for playing!

8. spooky23

Jun 30, 2011
    Thanks for answering my questions. Understand the issue concerning implementing boxing styles. And yeah, McGuigan's was limited with movement. Like I said, really enjoy how I can back off and recover in this game. Looking forward to the updates.

9. Noomen

Noomen Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Great Game.
    Really enjoying it.

A small feature request : maybe slightly more character properties to customize, e.g intelligence, speed, etc which would affect his boxing style. Maybe a tapping-based training (like the way you train your character in GTA san Andreas for example)

Also some variety in the career would be great.

By the way dev you have at least a couple more games you can make and will have equal success with each other martial art.

10. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    I have started the first part of the boxer customisation, Works pretty well so far!

[​IMG]

11. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    WOW!!! awesome, Colin!

12. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Working on the big update now, adding new boxers and a new coach! Will probably add more coaches in the future that you can hire for stat bonuses.

[​IMG]

13. spooky23

Jun 30, 2011
    Updating now. Love that the ref can stop a fight, that's an excellent addition.

14. ggallin

ggallin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Photographer
    Argentina
    #34 ggallin, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Love the game and the news updates, the new profiles of the boxers are acuracy.

I think can be great more trainers (i love the young freddy roach style of the original trainer lol, maybe a young robert garcia), maybe the style and languaje is a littlebit repetitive btwn both trainers.

I think the texts of twitter bump are great, this type of adds are nice, make trilogy chalenges of battles when each boxer win a fight for more money and show.

Blood add is great too.

Dual falls can be competitive taps with a split screen.

More rings and more customization stuff!

Multiplayer can be great!

Cheers!

15. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Glad you are enjoying it ggallin. Yeah I was thinking of a Robert Garcia inspired coach! ill add him. There text for the coaches will be different, I will add that in the next update. I like the trilogy idea, ill see if i can implement something like that. Thanks for the feedback!

16. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    #36 Gotters, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    I’ve been loving this over the holidays, just playing thru my second career at novice having failed to win the belt first time out before my guy went into age decline.

Age decline started again but at the 5th attempt managed to outpoint the champ with a last second knock down proving decisive in the final round. Only downer on winning the belt was the game froze after watching a vid for 4k of money post the title fight and didn’t register the in game achievement to win the title at novice level

Love how with just 4 simple controls you really get a sense of back and forward in the fights

17. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    Glad you are enjoying it! I'm really happy with how the controls work as well. Sorry about the crash, thats really unfortunate, the achievement should still unlock if you go back to the training scene while the champ.

18. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Glad I didn’t try a defence, went into training and got my achievement registered - thanks.

Being an old git this really reminds me of Barry McGuigan boxing from days gone by

19. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Good updates and thanks in particular for putting in my suggestion of a technical knockout which I really like.

The game is really progressing and I've started another playthrough. Like the write ups for each boxer - small spelling mistake on Billy Webber with "ware" instead of "wear".

Still a very hard game to beat on pro mode and I've still not got that title. Probably just my poor gaming skills - any tips?

20. ColinL

ColinL Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jul 29, 2014
    #40 ColinL, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    The the ref stoppage is growing on me :D thanks for suggesting it. I have fixed the typo as well, thanks.

Pro mode is really tricky, My advice would be try to unlock one of the fighters with a pretty young age and then take your time in the lower part of the table fighting the easier guys so you can upgrade your chin and power as early as possible. Once you get into the top half of the table I would suggest you fight tactically, maybe just try and win the first couple of rounds on points, try to avoid taking too much damage. Use the jab and the cross to score and then back away with the block, only use the uppercut when you see an opening. Maybe watching this youtube video will give you some tips, It is me working my way up the table in Novice mode with no upgrades https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaSK3JH-igQ&t=43s

Some nice combinations are Jab then Uppercut, Cross then uppercut, Jab Jab cross, Jab Cross uppercut.
    If you stun them and they are not in the corner use the cross to chase them down, if they are in the corner then hit them with uppercuts.