iPad Big concern with physics games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Zander951, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Zander951

Zander951 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    I have recently noticed how many games like rolando and bike or die 2 say that part of their major sucess was physics. For bike or die 2 unless we are aliens this is no were as close to real physics. For rolando i think that if wr had zero gravity then it wouldnt be fun. What im trying to say is some games just claim to have real physics and some dont and some you would just dont need to think twice about how it needs real physics to be fun.

2. #2 applesauce25r624, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    different planets have different levels of gravitational pull

what aspect of physics are you talking about

3. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    I mean earths physics

4. physics are universal

do you mean earth's gravity ?

5. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    Short and simple. Like the physics of i through somthing and it falls. You get what i mean.

6. *sigh*

i'm guessing the 951 in your name means you are from riverside county lol

7. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    No its just there cause i wanted it to be.

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    #8 Paulio, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
    Bike or Die 2 has good physics it's just that the suspension is screwed over. It is impossible to get used to and really annoying.. The physics engine is really good, ie. Gravity is at a perfect level so you fall at the right speed and all, but the bike is too soft so it makes it feel like bad physics but it is actually good.. If that even makes sense :p

As with rolando, I havnt played it, but I'm guessing it's a similar issue.

So it's most likely not bad physics, but strange choices by the devs.

@ applesauce: no need to be cocky about your awesome science skills, some people are less gifted :p

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Yes. I agree completely about BoD. Is it really that hard to port over a flash game??

10. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    my iq is 137

11. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Sometimes pure-real-life physics (ie. simulation) doesn't work in games. Hence why 99.9% of car-based games have no clutch control. And 90% don't have gear control, and 70% don't even bother with gears :) [1]

Simulation and physics aren't the same. Just the use of velocity or some implied motion (hold left, and it keeps going left) is physics... or use gravity (a constant motion downwards) is physics...

[1] Estimated numbers, but I'd imagine I'm in the right ball park.

12. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Here's the thing -- the *truly* smart people would never refer to their IQ like that. Besides the fact that you didn't use any punctuation in that sentence.

13. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    Im also 13 and dont need to prove to you that my iq is that. Also, I like to brag about how smart I am so if you have a problem. Well tuff luck. Also housetreerobot i see what your saying and i get it now. Its just they need to not say its a huge part of the game because its sorta a given.

14. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    Sometimes the inacuracies in the physics make the game more fun. If I expected earth gravity in every game, imagine how dull gaming would be with some of the creative titles.

15. SydneyS

SydneyS Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Student/Classroom Aide
    Philadelphia
    Ooooh, you're thirteen. I was wondering if an adult would act so immaturely. Now I feel better. I get it.

16. brewstermax

Heres what I'd like to know. Who cares what your iQ is? It makes no difference, and within your first 30 posts we know whether we should listen to you about anything or not. iQ is irrelevant to anything on this forum.

17. brewstermax

That explains it.

18. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I haven't played Bike or Die 2, but Rolando's physics model is pretty realistic. I mean you've got gravity, you have objects that bounce on floors/walls, you even have pretty realistic trajectory from the catapults. Have you played 1 of the bonus stages, where you tilt the device to control the king by altering the direction he falls due to gravity?

Some of the Rolando's themselves offer different abilities (like the Sticky Commandos) which bend or break the rules of Earth's gravity, but its a fantasy game that's main objective is to be fun.

Personally, i don't think this is an issue at all.

19. brewstermax

I totally agree there. The physics and gravity are great.

20. Zander951

Dec 18, 2008
    I said that because someone said some people arnt as smart and i was stating that i am not a dumb person. Also, im not telling anyone to listen to me. People have a choice.