iPad Big Bang Board Games 99c !!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rocketman919, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Ok, this is insane, Big Bang Board Games is only one dollar!!! For only a buck, you get Chess, Backgammon, Checkers, Mancala, Reversi, 4 in a row, and Tic Tac Toe, all with great 3d graphics. Its made by Freeverse, so you know its good. Also features 2 player "hot seat" gameplay.

2. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    The only thing holding me back is the awful reviews on itunes. Are there any good reviews anywhere else??

3. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
  4. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I got it for 99¢, but only because the version on my MacBook is all glitched :(.
    Despite all the bad reviews, it isn't glitchy. If you're running 2.1, that is.

I think it's worth the $1.

5. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Agreed. This one isn't worth it even if it was free.

6. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Totally agree with you. The reviews make the game sound putrid.

How's the AI as the reviews really make it sound as if it's horrible.

7. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    The AI is quite easy at first, but in the options, you can choose "hard opponent". It makes things a little harder... The annoying thing is, if it sthinks you're going to win, a window pops up after every turn saying "It looks like I'm going to loose. How about I just resign, and we'll play again!". You deny, and it keeps asking you.

8. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Ok so i ended up picking it up for the buck,
    i probably got my moneys worth b/c i played it on the plane for about 1 hrs. The graphics are nice i guess. i thing the dev. was trying too hard with the graphics but nice game if you need to kill some time.

9. Mew2468

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I agree with that.

10. ficbot

ficbot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    I too picked it up since it was so cheap. I have been searching for an inexpensive backgammon game. I thought this was okay, but just okay. The pieces were small and hard to see. But I am not prepared to shell out $5 for the only other backgammon game in the app store, so I'll manage!

11. Porsupah

Porsupah Well-Known Member

I picked it up for Backgammon.

Overall, it's okay. The big downsides for me are the middling-weak AI (even with the "hard" option) and the lack of a doubling cube, so if a game's headed firmly in your favor, there's no way to force the AI to either accept your doubling, or to resign.

Second to those would be the game's insistence on playing those sound effects with every piece move - not that they're especially annoying, but the effects plus animation take up time, hindering the progress of a game that might otherwise be quite fast-paced.

Still, it does work, it's graphically very attractive, and the pieces are surprisingly easy to move about, in either orientation. It's not the ultimate backgammon game by any means, but a decent distraction all the same, and a bargain at 99¢/59p.