Universal Big Action Mega Fight! (by Execution Labs)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Nov 7, 2013.

1. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Bug was the wrong word. I meant to say I marked it as an improvement to mention this in the tutorial, since it wasn't obvious at first.

I will bring this up at our next sprint meeting. I think we should be able to fit this in. It's certainly something I would like to test.

The main argument against this is the cautionary tale of Gasketball:

Of course that was the only purchase they ever offered. I suppose with a hybrid approach it could work? Anyway, I will keep you posted if/when this happens.

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ugh, was enjoying this game until I launched and got a message saying my local save was out of sync with the iCloud save. No info on which was newer, just asking if I wanted to use the iCloud save. Since I had no idea which to choose, I went with iCloud thinking that might less likely be messed up. As it turns out, it was at about half of my most recent progress.

It's bad enough having iCloud sync problems (which I understand isn't always the developer's fault), but not providing enough info about the two saves is poor UX design.

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Sadly, the market doesn't work that way. Freemium works by getting lots of players by being free, but relies on a small number of those players spending larger amounts of money. Including a $2.99 premium unlock means that freemium users won't spend $4.99 on a coin doubler or buy large coin packs. They'd make money from you but would be cannibalising their profits from those players.

4. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    Same here. I would gladly pay 3 dollars for this.

5. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm really sorry about that, and I agree that's bad UX design. I don't think we ever thought about including that info on the popup. I am filing a bug for it now and it will be fixed in the next patch. Thanks for your feedback!

6. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm going to play devil's advocate a little and mention the downsides of this. If you have a creative solution to these problems, I'd love to hear them.

First, as a developer, this is an additional mode or adventure that we need to properly balance so that players can enjoy the game as more of a premium title. This isn't free for us, we need to spend hours testing, tweaking and gathering data to make the experience optimal.

Second, as mr_bez mentioned, this would probably eat into our other freemium purchases. We'd essentially be 'burning' that player, because we wouldn't be asking them for any future purchases. Freemium is based on a small percentage of players making up for the non-paying masses, and we would be asking less of the paying players, which puts the whole thing in jeopardy.

I think the reality of it is that games on iOS / Android have gotten too cheap for small developers to support themselves on premium sales only. If, for instance, the game had a premium unlock at $10, which would be a reasonable price for the PC / Console equivalent of a game like BAMF, then having that option and rebalancing the game for those players might be worth it. I'm not sure if you'd be willing to purchase it at that price though, and I can't blame you, there are many more games available for cheaper.

That's the economics of mobile games, unfortunately, and we can't do much to change the market at large. I'm fairly certain that if you did buy a coin doubler and a $5 coin pack in BAMF (total $10), you would get pretty close to a premium experience, but that might be more than you're willing to invest.

This is a really interesting discussion though, and obviously we'd like to cater to your needs as a customer (that's what we're here for). So if there is a way to make that happen, I will definitely do it.

7. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Hmm. I was thinking of this too.
    You could name the IAP something that would not appeal to those type of players:
    "Small Coin Pack - 10 coins - $4.99",
    But then offer much better "coin pack deals". Only those of us in the know, would realize it was actually a premium unlock.

Interesting idea at least.

8. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lol a decoy purchase is actually a cool idea. It could be the "TouchArcade Special"

9. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #49 Lazer Kat, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    "Touch arcade special" would make ppl wonder, and google it...
    But...
    If you did something like this:
    $1.99 - 10 coins
    $2.99 - 20 coins
    $4.99 - 25 coins*
    $5.99 - 50 coins

*And only certain people knew the $4.99 special was actually a BETTER deal.
    And lets face it, the kind of people who would see it on here aren't the people who buy $50 coin packs.
    But we are the type of gamer who will gladly pay $5 for this game.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #50 bigrand1, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    I like that idea. As it sits now and after all I've seen here, I'm not gonna touch this at all. No money from me either. I'm completely in solidarity with you in terms of your idealism and I as a gamer don't appreciate or support devs who seem to feel they have to make games this way, so screw 'em! Good game or not, I will avoid it. So many other good games to be had with other devs who do things the way I want it. Gots to just say no...

11. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I love when people loudly take a stance against downloading free games, like it's a Big Issue. Adorable!

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Ignorance is bliss, innit? :rolleyes:

13. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    This is a great tip, by the way, and also a great way to implement the swipe. Using two fingers on the iPhone is cumbersome, but swiping in opposite directions with your thumbs is buttery smooth and intuitive.

14. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    I usually ignore freemium, and don't comment on it...but this one is particularly heart-breaking.
    Take it as a compliment from this group, that were even worrying about this freemium title.

There's something to learn here, and I'm sure there's some sort of middle ground somewhere that makes them and us both happy...

15. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    This could be an awesome game (premium option), but the freemium payment model totally ruined it. I will play this one until I hit the paywall, and then it'll get deleted. It's free, so no coin from me.

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Having defended your right to use a freemium model and bought the coin doubler, I've just hit Level 17 and the time limit is really harsh. I've replayed earlier levels a few times and upgraded my Damage to 18 already, but it feels impossible to complete in that time frame without using buffs or a serious amount of grind.

Hope this is a one off spike or some rebalancing is on the way. :(

17. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    What's going to inevitably kill this games profits isnt a premium IAP, its the frustration that will most definitely lead players to give up.

18. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I hated the chickens. I always had a hard time grabbing them and would instead punch them so they'd explode. That made me quit lol I mean all the other enemies are easy but screw up with the chickens and it's all over

19. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #59 Lazer Kat, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    The special spin move takes out a screen full...and works wonders if you need to take a whole bunch of cocks at once.

20. deemen

deemen Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2013
    There is some major rebalancing on the way in the next week or two. Stay tuned!