Out Now Beyond a Steel Sky (by Revolution Software)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I don‘t own this game^^
    Sorry, I can‘t help.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ask and ye shall receive. “Improved controls/improved stability” update just hit.

JJE likes this.
  3. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Thank you and I shall take full credit for making it happen
    Not that the rapid decent into the low threes on the App Store had anything to do with it

4. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    It’s a good update. Everything working on 2GB iPad.

5. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Was considering trying this out, I loved the original game. Is there a list of all of the games that are available on Apple Arcade anywhere?

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Check the Apple Arcade tab on the AppStore. All the way on the bottom there’s a See All Games button.

Malrulezzzu and Rocco SE like this.
  7. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I agree

8. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    This game alone is another single reason for Apple Arcade being worth it‘s monthly fee. And not the only one.

Asp and squarezero like this.
  9. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Yes, well it looks like a multi-million dollar production. I imagine it took some negotiation for Apple to get this on Arcade first.

10. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    And I guess, this still won‘t change many people‘s minds about taking mobile gaming seriously. Yet, it‘s a huge tripple-A adventure in the palm of our hands.

11. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    This is not an “arcade” game. Hoping that people who love these types of games will enjoy.

12. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I really like the game but alas it has issues that make it impossible for me to progress in the story.

Got an iPad Pro 1st gen and alas I had gamebreaking crashes before and after the update. The first one was solved with the update/patch, as the game always crashed before when entering the city (Piazza) for the first time.

Now it always crashes after having loaded the city for your second time after you have travelled there from the first time at „your“ appartment.

The game all in all is pretty buggy for me, I‘ve had NPCs melting with the environment and thus sometimes even preventing progression (when the NPC in question had to get to another destination), your char suddenly walking hovering over the ground slanted by 20, 30 degrees, your char talking to an invisible (Greta)-Hologram and other bugs and glitches.

The game also crashed at least once every half an hour for me before encountering the second gamebreaking crash, often when I started the hacking/scanning mechanic.

Guess they had some pressure to release the game as soon as possible and missed out on quite a bit of proper QA as particular devices seem to have quite a few issues with it. Seems I got to get repair for my iPad Pro 12,9 screen and try the game there asap, as these issues seem to happen mainly on 2GB RAM devices (at least that’s what I get from reading the comments here) and my iPad Pro 9,7 from 2015 alas seems to be the only Pro with only that low RAM.

13. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I had that repeated crash as well. Rebooting the iPad stopped it happening though and allowed further progress. Maybe the reboot frees some memory space. Probably BASS2 is too complex to run effectively in 2GB.

14. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Just finished the game and I‘m very satisfied with this journey. Still I wish they gonna fix all the graphics bugs and RAM problems. Yet, everything else felt amazing.

15. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Would i make a mistake if i wait for the game to be fixed?

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If you have a device with 4 GB RAM (like a newer iPhone or iPad, there’s no reason to wait.

Rocco SE likes this.
  17. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Hey skall are you sure that the iPad Pro 2020 is worth it how about PascalsWager any overheating on that game?

18. Mathiastheninja

Sep 22, 2019
    Being a huuuuuge fan of the original, i’ve so waited for this game.

I have now played it through, and i thought it was fantastic. The graphics, story and acting is all triple A.

What was not triple A, were the controls, buggy and usomewhat unintuitive. It got way better after the update though and now it’s largely not a problem imo.

Dont’t agree that the ’hacking’ needed explaining, i thought it pretty self-explanatory.

All in all i loved it.

Rocco SE likes this.
  19. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    The newest patch from last week fixed nearly everything. For the last 2/3s of the game I only had a single crash on my 2GB device (iPad Pro 9,7“) anymore which was easily fixed by restarting the game.

So even for 2 GB devices there are no reasons to put off playing this awesome adventure game anymore. :)

20. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #60 Gambler, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    The story itself is ok imo. A little predictable, especially the ending but I love the journey there. The banter between the main char and his sidekick is especially enjoyable.

Puzzlewise the game is amazing. One of the best point‘n‘click adventures in this area I‘ve played the last few years. And definitely one of the, if not the best from Revoltion.

Even though the inventory is more of an afterthought, the hacking/scanning mechanic introduces quite a few very clever puzzles and puzzle chains and there are also some genius environmental puzzles.

The balance is perfect imo, a lot of the puzzles are neat brainteasers and headscratches and there are some more complex puzzle chains but nothing is unsolvable as long as one pays attention or thinks a little out of the box once in a while.

Hope the game helped/will help Apple Arcade to gain some traction again. The service would deserve it as well as Beyond A Steel Sky.

yankeeblue000 and Asp like this.