Out Now Beyond a Steel Sky (by Revolution Software)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Ok, a reason to get an Apple Arcade..

Skall likes this.
  2. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    This might bring me back to Apple Arcade. Was waiting for Pathless tbh.

But before that, would like to know how it runs on an iPhone X. Especially the heating and battery drain. Looks like a very resource-heavy game.

3. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I don’t have a phone but, as expected, iPad runs hot and loses battery fast. Probably the same on anything. However, I already consider it worth getting Arcade for this. Of course I’m in the free trial.

Rocksaint likes this.
  4. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Alright. Thought so. Thanks for the info.

It's not about the money but time investment for me. Currently quite happy with the games I have on mobile. Few F2Ps too. So I'll wait till I finish/get bored with at least some of them.

5. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    What immediately stands out is the quality of the voice acting. First game where I’ve actually felt some affinity with the characters, some of whom I look forward to meeting again; which is part of moving the story along. Interesting use of regional accents too.

The puzzles are logical so far and original, though not easy. I seem to spend a lot of time bird watching. Plus there’s a fair amount of system hacking which works well.

Have had a couple of crashes to desktop but without much loss of progess due to frequent autosaves. Probably results from running on an old iPad Air 2 and may not be an issue on newer devices.

6. Colin Henderson

Dec 12, 2018
    Male
    Hacking doesn’t work on iPhone 11 Pro Max. The touch controls are unresponsive during these sequences. Anyone else have this issue?

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Glad more people seem to be getting Apple Arcade. It’s a bargain for the price of one AA game a month. More people who get it means we’ll probably get more and more games

Been playing this via Apple TV In my large screen TV. Loving it (don’t have room on my phone or iPad !)

8. sevenape

sevenape Active Member

Jun 25, 2012
    #28 sevenape, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Speaking of bird watching,
    any tips on getting the data tool? I have everything I need I think, but the purple bird has flown away!!!

9. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Took me a little bit. Do you have the sausage to lure the bird? There are different hotspots for the sausage to be dropped while the bird is following you. Which of those spots could harm the bird?

10. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    @Colin Henderson, Hacking is not explained well. Tap and slide elements to reprogram systems.

11. sevenape

sevenape Active Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks! I just have to wait for him to come back now.

12. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    That might be a bug, had the same issue, couldn‘t find the bird after a failed attempt, was running around forever. Then I reloaded the game from an earlier moment and the bird was back again at its typical place.

13. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Unfortunately, upon entering the city, my old iPad crashes terminally. Probably can’t handle the amount of detail. Will have to wait for this to arrive on Steam. I presume those of you with newer devices are not having these issues.

14. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    What kind of iPad do you use?
    I own an iPad Air 2.

15. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I have Air 2 also, but crashes like it has insufficient RAM. Is your iPad running in the city?

16. Rocco SE

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    I‘m playing on an iPad Pro 2018, but it also runs pretty ok-ish on my old iPhone SE. Stuttering here and there, and scaled down graphics, but no crash in the city so far.

17. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth

Asp likes this.
  18. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Thanks for info. Looks like you got 4GB RAM iPad there compared to my 2GB so that could be it. Your phone does well to run it though.

19. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I have an iPad Pro second generation A10X with 4gb of ram it runs great but overheating and battery drains quickly

20. JJE

JJE Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Artist
    Boston, Massachusetts
    I played all of last night In a brand new iPad Pro (using a controller) and I agree with all the comments about how good it looks
    Unfortunately
    Most of the game is a constant battle with the UI and plain old buggy performance.
    Currently locked in the apartment with all the puzzles solved and the game doesn’t acknowledge any of it. Super frustrating when the actual game is trying to get around the games poor performance loop.
    During the “girl on the ledge” loop I caused the NPCs to talk to me while I wasn’t there. As a result I couldn’t move or do anything. Fun is lost progress having to load an old save?
    If you have bird issues it becomes unsolvable. If the bird disappeared before you figured it out, he will be gone for good. Reload from an old save.

I most definitely want to play more but until there is an update it will be a total waste of time.
    I’ve been looking forward to this title since it was announced. Such disappointment