Universal [BETA] UNTOLD - a dark fantasy text-based rpg

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by caely, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    #1 caely, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    UNTOLD is an immersive text-based RPG where you create your own adventure.
    You assume the role of an undefined character who wakes up on a beach. Confused and vengeful, you are accompanied by a nomad with whom you share objectives - to find those who hold answers of your past.

Create your own story by making decisions that will immediately impact your play-through. Some of these choices will pave way for survival, while some will condemn you to the realm of the dead.

Along the choice making, UNTOLD offers vivid backgrounds to each location as well as customizable stats for the main character. Accumulating experience points, the main character will level up. With each level, you are allowed to distribute skill points to a set of attributes with which you can develop your character.

The world of Tem Khiris is rifled with conflict and war. Warlords, tribes and cults antagonize each other to get the upper hand. You play as an undefined character without memories of your past, you have but one desire - vengeance.
    --------------

Made by two childhood friends, UNTOLD is set to be released this winter season but will need some extended testing before launch. After testing, a small questionnaire will be sent out for your feedback. For a more open conversation, you may join our Discord server where we are active during waking hours (CET). Prior to releasing an invitation-only beta-testing, we also released two trailers; one cinematic and one gameplay trailer.

We're now in need of beta testers. To sign up, head to our website, follow the instructions and you will shortly receive an invitation. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to us on our different channels listed as signature of this post or simply shoot an e-mail to [email protected]

Less than a week after we went out with the sign-up for beta-testing, we've been featured on a few sites. Here's all the features up until today (2019-12-30)
    Alpha Beta Gamer | Game On News | PocketGamer | Mobile Mode Gaming | GameReactor (Indonesia) | GameTac (Vietnam)

Update (Jan 5th 2020): The Gamer

Ringerill and Rocksaint like this.
  2. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Intriguing concept. Already applied a few days back. Waiting for an invite.

caely likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yep, I’m in. As I mentioned on your Discord channel, I started gaming on ZX Spectrum in the 80s so I have quite some experience with text-based adventures. It’s gonna be nostalgic at its best. To quote Sheldon from TBBT: “it runs on the most powerful GPU - your imagination.”:) So, yeah. Sign me up!

Ringerill, Rocksaint and caely like this.
  4. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    cool! an invite should drop in any time now :)

Rocksaint likes this.
  5. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    -bothers dev to send that invite- ;)

6. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019

couldnt find your address on my list, can you pm me it?

7. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Oh. I applied from the main site through a form.

Anyway, I sent you a message with the details. Please have a look. Thanks.

caely likes this.
  8. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    nice, got ya covered :) couldn't connect your email address to your forum tag so it took a while :3

Rocksaint likes this.
  9. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #9 Ringerill, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Quite intrigued about this. I am quite in love with text based adventures and even planned on writing some "books where you are the hero" at one point.
    I would gladly test this one :)
    Just waiting for the invitation to the TestFlight.

caely likes this.
  10. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    neat! I'm sure your writing skills will prove themselves valuable :D
    if you signed up, an invitation should drop in very soon. if it doesn't check your spam inbox and should that not work, shoot me an email :)

11. ggallin

ggallin Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Photographer
    Argentina
    my english is not very accurate but I enjoy untold, the interface is neat and the history is very deep, love the illustrations and the new sounds, untold is for far the best text based game I playing on ios.

i would love a spanish translation but i understand this is a very hard work.

congratulations for the dev!

caely likes this.
  12. caely

caely Member

Dec 29, 2019
    Thanks! I've relayed the message to our writer, I'm sure he'll appreciate your feedback as much as you appreciated the game :)
    Maybe in the future, we will also have resources to translate it :D

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #13 macplash, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    So I've just been notified the game's live! Yaaay!
    EDIT> and it's iPhone only?:confused:o_O

Ringerill likes this.
  14. insats

insats Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Not at all! It's both:

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Not the platform! The device compatibility. There are no iPad screenshots on the App Store. Just widescreen -> iPhone ones.

16. insats

insats Member

Mar 22, 2020
    ooooh, right. That's true, it's not compatible with iPads. We can make it theoretically, it's just that we haven't really attempted to and the format doesn't fel right for it... But if more people ask for it, I'll definitely take another look at it. It shouldn't be too hard to get it working.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @insats thanks for your honesty. And I really hope there’ll be big enough audience for you to reconsider and take another look. Especially if it’s not so much work. Because let’s face it. Playing text based RPG is like reading an interactive book. Which for me is a perfect match for iPad’s resolution and size. I don’t read books on my phone. Just saying.;)

18. insats

insats Member

Mar 22, 2020
    @macplash I hear you. The format that Untold has was really created specifically for phones, which is one of the main reasons every snippet of narrative is rather short. If you've already downloaded it and tried it on your phone (it's free to try), and still feel that it would work better on iPad, then I'll definitely take your opinion to heart. But if not, I'd like to invite you to at least try it before ruling it out entirely.

One of the main issues with porting to iPad is most likely that the graphics are not high resolution enough. But I haven't dug deep into that problem yet, so it's just a theory, might end up not to be a big problem, but I'd have to try it.

19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I mean, I was part of the BETA since December 2019 (as seen a few posts above) and also still am member of your Discord channel. But I understand. Don't worry about it. It was just a suggestion.

20. insats

insats Member

Mar 22, 2020
    :(

I'm really sorry, I've been answering messages from left to right all day. I'll definitely take some time to experiment regarding iPad support!